Cover versions that improved on the original

Kala

Call the police
Pronouns
He/Him
Cover versions are a staple in music, sometimes they’re an abomination, but sometimes they are even better than the original version. Which covers do you think fall into this category?

For me this is one of my most obvious ones:

Compared to the original:

The original was so sickly sweet and MOR but VotB really brought it screaming into the 90s. I was so obsessed with their version back in the day, and it should have done much better than #25 in the UK charts, but then they are one of the most underrated bands of all time.

The original made #18, but the most successful version was by Kaci in 2001 2002, who scraped into the top 10 with her version which was fun, but sounds so dated now.

What are your favourite cover versions? Post the cover and original so we don’t have to go searching.

Last edited:
"Ain't That Just The Way" - Lutricia McNeal (cover), Barbi Bention (original)

"Killing Me Softly" - Roberta Flack (cover), Lori Lieberman (original)

"Midnight Train To Georgia" - Gladys Knight & The Pips (cover), Cissy Houston (original)

Not so manic now was a cover? :shock:

madonna look it up GIF

Tell me why the HELL you're STALKING
You're DISMISSED
Now, get to WALKING

Original:

Sinead improves a lot of the songs she covers. Nothing Compares is obvious, but this is gorgeous too. Also she manages to not sing it as ‘Sack-uh-ri-fice’ the way Elton does.

As much as I LOVE many songs in this thread to say they "improve" on the original is a bit inaccurate I think. Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd is a SONG AND A HALF and Scissor Sisters spun a cover that takes it into an incredible new place, but it doesn't really BETTER it.

I think the sign of a good cover is when it produces something new that wasn't there in the original thanks to the person/band doing the cover. I'm a big fan of Annie Lennox and No Doubt and both their covers listed here are FANTASTIC, but the originals, in their own way, are also TOWERING SONGS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom