Dua Lipa — Illusion + Radical Optimism

This blows the first two singles out of the water. The video has VERY Kylie energy. :disco:

The video sells it completely. I'd love to attend a glorified Zumba class imparted by Dua.

I'm sorry this sounds utter DERIVATIVE BOLLOCKS

Houdini at least had something about it. This however really is just Becky Hill does Love Island.

Lock Massive Attack up for Dua's own good!

Having now heard the whole thing...

THIS ALL STILL STANDS

A couple of bells does not change the game

It's like some of you have never heard Calvin Harris tracks before

But moopy, like the rest of the country, loves a basic bitch, so it'll be fine, it'll be huge and Dua will have another successful album I'm sure. Can't see her featuring on the year end album lists this time around however...

*takes bow*
are-you-done-is-it-over.gif

Not content with being our Vera Lynn, now she's snatching Esther Williams' swimcap. Multi-talented queen!

The video is very "Slow" meets "All the Lovers", I love it.

The song is nothing groundbreaking but sounds like a hit to me. The chorus and woozy synth in the middle 8 are great.

It seems to be split between I HATE IT and OMG SLAY QUEEN in the gay Twitter universe.

The video is very "Slow" meets "All the Lovers", I love it.

The song is nothing groundbreaking but sounds like a hit to me. The chorus and woozy synth in the middle 8 are great.

I love the woozy synth bit.

And the comedy drawl for the first verse... my lover on a peda-STAWL

Overall I like it, but at this stage it is just below the other two singles. I don't think it is so far removed from some of Future Nostalgia either.

I like this but it’s comfortably the weakest of the three single on first impression. However, seeing as its incredibly basic, it will be a hit and that’s a good thing.

Last edited:
the song is so Hallucinate coded. I think it pops off quite a bit harder than Training Season and should do the business as a single (not in the US).

still it's no Houdini and if there's not another song that good on the album she could be in trouble. but summer is coming and an easy breezy summery banger is just what Europe ordered.

the video has some gorgeous shots (that one of the Sagrada Familia above her head is stunting), and a few details that let it down too. the editing is a bit frenzied for me! and her black boots look is an absolute horror show. girl you're at the pool!

The video is fabulous, I don't think you can go wrong with the location and the stunning, powerfully gay visual that synchronised swimming provides. I can't wait to go on holiday and thrash around in the pool recreating it, Nomi Malone-style.

I like that she's still plugging the early 2000s Euro dance sound, it's exactly my taste, but it's maybe the most derivative-sounding song that she's done in that vein so far. Maybe she should literally have just got Calvin Harris to produce it.

So that’s 3 basic and utterly crap singles in a row! The production on this one is absolutely horrible.

Still waiting for the psychadelics!

On first listen it's the weakest of the three (I absolutely love Training Season).

But that video, so many nods to PEAK KYLIE VISUALS.

Well in the Battle of the Basic Bops, Perrie is #1 on iTunes and Dua is only #6…

ah yes, the all important and highly coveted iTunes metric. I'm sure Perrie will be top on Spotify tomorrow too, not that that matters

OK I'm quite obsessed. the weird accent she sings with on the verses. the bells. the sledgehammer synths that drop like a guillotine. the tame impala breakdown. how she sings it's amusing while sounding utterly unamused. and indeed unalive. 10/10

I'm loving the "extended" versions of her singles so far, I'm convinced they are the original versions and make you appreciate the songs more; they truly show how many ideas had to be left out to make it more Tiktok friendly for this short-span generation but the longer ones make room for the track to breathe, they're amazing. and I can't believe they're sleeping on the fact of how many great artists are producing them, for example, I had no idea Training Season was co-written by Dragonette.

Her PR team has to turn around the whole Massive Attack narrative and mention Tame Impala a bit more, Kevin Parker is doing an absolutely fabulous job. Dua UP!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom