Eurovision 2021: The running order

All this FALSE HOPE every damn year. The song is THERE, and is OK. The UK are no longer part of the EU and politics are going to play a big part as ever so I wouldn’t actually rule out NUL POINTS. Anything better will be a blessing.
All this FALSE HOPE every damn year. The song is THERE, and is OK. The UK are no longer part of the EU and politics are going to play a big part as ever so I wouldn’t actually rule out NUL POINTS. Anything better will be a blessing.
They’ll be booking you for GMB on Monday with these hot takes.

‘Unfortunately Cheryl Baker is still under heavy sedation and is unable to join us this morning...’

Yeah, politics won't have much influence on Eurovision except at the edges. For example, Israel will probably have a slightly lower televote this year than would be expected for the song.

But when a song is good enough, it will win, regardless of the geopolitical situation.

The EU/politics is no reason to blame for the UK’s inevitable flop tomorrow.
Of course it's not going to be the difference between Top 10 and bottom 5, but it could plausibly knock us down a couple of places. If someone is picking between two songs that they like about the same to send a vote to, I wouldn't be surprised to see them avoid the country that has behaved the way we have over the last five years.

Suburban parent update: My mum LOVES Iceland and Malta, is quite FOND of Lithuania and Portugal and was QUITE PARTIAL to Moldova (the girl with the long note and all the boys)!

My Dad likes Iceland, Moldova, Lithuania, Malta and Israel!

Honey, that's the problem, the song is just "ok", most of the others are OUTSTANDING. We have the exact same problem, sending average songs and doing badly year after year. Spain doesn't reach the top 20 since 2014, that's 6 years in a row being in the bottom, and as far as I know we're still part of the EU. So why? Our songs are not good enough, and the staging is nothing special. Same for the UK.

In regards to avoiding last place not taking part in the SF is a much bigger issue for the UK than Brexit. The weak entries from the semis now already have locked in support in the televoting.

My Godson thinks the UK entry is the best thing he's ever heard, but he likes ALL KINDS OF SHIT (his mother's words).

Reactions: Hak
In regards to avoiding last place not taking part in the SF is a much bigger issue for the UK than Brexit. The weak entries from the semis now already have locked in support in the televoting.
Also if we all had to go through the semis, I'm sure UK and Spain would stop sending shit year after year.

Honey, that's the problem, the song is just "ok", most of the others are OUTSTANDING. We have the exact same problem, sending average songs and doing badly year after year. Spain doesn't reach the top 20 since 2014, that's 6 years in a row being in the bottom, and as far as I know we're still part of the EU. So why? Our songs are not good enough, and the staging is nothing special. Same for the UK.

I just don’t think the UK is very liked as a country, unsurprisingly. I would have though Spain would have a lot more goodwill aimed at them. Of course the songs we send are never really up to par, but some countries always used to favour neighbouring countries no matter what tat was sent. I don’t know if the rules have changed to prevent that though, as I am somewhat of a Eurovision novice.

I just don’t think the UK is very liked as a country, unsurprisingly. I would have though Spain would have a lot more goodwill aimed at them. Of course the songs we send are never really up to par, but some countries always used to favour neighbouring countries no matter what tat was sent. I don’t know if the rules have changed to prevent that though, as I am somewhat of a Eurovision novice.
We can’t complain at neighbour voting, we vote for Ireland (and vice versa) every year.

We can’t complain at neighbour voting, we vote for Ireland (and vice versa) every year.
Generally true but I'm sure that has FALTERED a bit in recent years!

I don’t even think Ireland and the UK exchange decent points to each other anymore?

We certainly weren't showering points over MICHAEL RICE

And do you think Russia is very liked as a country? Or Azerbaijan? In Eurovision, most people vote for songs they like, not countries. Of course some neighbours vote for each other, as they share language, culture and stuff, but you need more than your neighbours to win Eurovision. Spain and UK send average songs (or just pure shit) most of the times, that's why they end up in the bottom. They are not competitive enough.

I do predict a few meagre inexplicable points from Ireland for James though :ireland:

Yeah but that is voting for a nationality not against. Diaspora tends to root and therefore vote for their own just as UK citizens vote for their ESC act when they live abroad.

And do you think Russia is very liked as a country? Or Azerbaijan? In Eurovision, most people vote for songs they like, not countries. Of course some neighbours vote for each other, as they share language, culture and stuff, but you need more than your neighbours to win Eurovision. Spain and UK send average songs (or just pure shit) most of the times, that's why they end up in the bottom. They are not competitive enough.

I know you need more than that to WIN, and I said in my first post regarding the matter that the song is just OK, so isn’t good enough and doesn’t really deserve (in my opinion) to do well but those neighbouring countries who share language and culture throwing each other maximum points prevents them from being on the right hand side of the board every bloody year.

In vacuum yes.
But, who is genuinely gonna think the UK is the most interesting out of the whole bunch and actually pull out the phone and vote? It's not like he can expect any jury favours...
In fairness you could say that about a lot of songs, and not just this year.

You can't vote for goodwill, as Alla said, shared language, media, culture etc are far more relevant and fair factors. We just send SHITE. We forgot to keep up with the competition. The contest has changed radically, as has the audience.

I've always thought the kind of song the UK could send, not compromise, and absolutely SMASH IT was Turn the Music Louder by Katy B, KDA and Tinie Tempah. Instead, we're so focused on MOR and novelty rubbish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom