funky does Kylie: "DISCO" (2020)

Sorry someone just called me :manson:

Here's my penultimate Top 20

Current Top 20:

1. Sweet Music (Body Language)
2. Breathe (Impossible Princess)
3. Confide In Me (Kylie Minogue)
4. Step Back In Time (Rhythm Of Love)
5. Where Is The Feeling (single mix) (Kylie Minogue)
6. Finer Feelings (Brothers In Rhythm 12" mix) (Let's Get To It)
7. The One (X)
8. What Do I Have To Do (Rhythm Of Love)
9. Shocked (Rhythm Of Love)
10. Surrender (Kylie Minogue)
-----------------------------------------------------------
11. Still Standing (Body Language)
12. Look My Way (Kylie)
13. Can't Get You Out Of My Head (Fever)
14. Love At First Sight (Fever)
15. Slow (Body Language)
16. Put Yourself In My Place (Kylie Minogue)
17. I Believe In You (Ultimate Kylie)
18. Jump (Impossible Princess)
19. Spinning Around (Light Years)
20. Loving Days (Body Language)

08 Magic - I remember this one. This is lovely. Strange album opener though, it's kind of understated. I do love a midtempo bop though. Her voice sounds a bit one note on this one, but the production is lovely. It's reminding me how much on trend some of this album was. Very retro-tribute with a modern feel. Great start.

The album version of Magic is SO much better than the butchered single version.

08 Miss A Thing - I'm curious how much I remember of this album. It was only a couple of years ago but I swear I've only ever listened to it once in full. This sounds vaguely familiar but not much. And I'm really enjoying it. It's that sort of disco-lite sound that the likes of SEB have found their comfort zone with in recent years, but I much prefer Kylie's take on it, her voice is so at ease in this genre. Again she's not really pushing herself vocally here and this sort of ballroom disco sound can veer very easily into cheese, but I do really like the vibe here and it follows the opener perfectly.

So far, already one of the best starts to one of her albums for me.

08 Real Groove - At first I thought this was one of the one's I didn't know, and then the chorus kicked in. Definitely know this, I think it was a single? So far the sound is very samey, but it's working. This is probably the closest link to Dua Lipa in terms of their similar trajectories, the 2020 lockdown iconic albums sending us all to the dancefloors in our living rooms and remember the good old days. I'm just noticing how floaty her voice is on this album - three songs in and she hasn't pushed herself at all; maybe it's part of the sound or method for this album but I'm hoping she gives us a bit more sultriness and soulfulness later in the album. Very few complaints though.

It's also the most What's Your Pleasure - alike track here.

Nah it's WAY too lite for WYP. This is a daytime terrace with cocktails album. WYP is the sex dungeon after party at 3am album. Only the disco theme links them.

@funky aren't you reacting to the FULL version of Disco? The Spotify list you posted is 4 tracks short.

06 Monday Blues - don't know this. I quite like the Ibiza-pop influences here. Also the chorus REMINDS ME of something but I'm not sure what. I think it's Basement Jaxx?? Definitely a step down from the first three tracks but not a bad bop. Also we needed something frenetic and instant after the adult pop of the other songs.

Also you'll need to do the extended version of Say Something immediately afterwards.

08 Supernova - oh I like this too. Don't think I know it. I like how punchy the album suddenly became, she's not playing anymore. So far I'm loving how every song smoothly moves along the disco theme, but with lots of different takes and influences on the genre. Great stuff. I might have to go back to this.

11 Say Something - God I just love this song so much. Can someone just explain to me why it works so much? That bassline, the soaring strings, the background vocals, the overall other-worldliness of it... I mean it really should have been a massive single. Did it chart? Anywhere? I love how it's pretty plodding in tempo and yet that doesn't hold it back at all from being a total anthem. The lyrics are so timely and the mood so uplifting, I really do hope this is remembered as one of the ultimate lockdown anthems.

Also I love it when someone has a career high so far into their careers. I stan an endurance queen.

08 Real Groove - At first I thought this was one of the one's I didn't know, and then the chorus kicked in. Definitely know this, I think it was a single? So far the sound is very samey, but it's working. This is probably the closest link to Dua Lipa in terms of their similar trajectories, the 2020 lockdown iconic albums sending us all to the dancefloors in our living rooms and remember the good old days. I'm just noticing how floaty her voice is on this album - three songs in and she hasn't pushed herself at all; maybe it's part of the sound or method for this album but I'm hoping she gives us a bit more sultriness and soulfulness later in the album. Very few complaints though.
It’s our song

There really aren't enough superlatives that can be lavished upon Say Something, it's one of her greatest ever songs let alone singles.

08 Last Chance - this is also great! It's pretty basic but I actually like the cheesy and even repetitive chorus. The album has certainly picked up a notch. Despite the album title, I really had no idea this was SUCH a disco album; I thought maybe it was just a nod to disco here and there; Say Something is actually coming off like the least disco song so far. I want to see this album performed with a full orchestra.

08 Last Chance - this is also great! It's pretty basic but I actually like the cheesy and even repetitive chorus. The album has certainly picked up a notch. Despite the album title, I really had no idea this was SUCH a disco album; I thought maybe it was just a nod to disco here and there; Say Something is actually coming off like the least disco song so far. I want to see this album performed with a full orchestra.
Does it remind you of anything?

07 I Love It - this feels a bit safer than the last clutch of tracks, it reminds me of the 90s disco revival in its production. Not usually a fan of ballroom disco. But that said, it's still anthemic, and not at all of the irritating variety that a lot of cod disco can be. I am starting to need a bit of variety now though. I need the genre to be spread out a bit, there's more areas of disco to cover yet. Hopefully...

For so long I was somewhat indifferent to I Love It. I absolutely love it now. It totally invokes the sound of the 70s. I love the brass on it.

05 Where Does The DJ Go? - this feels a bit cheap if I'm honest. It's giving me Atomic Kitten vibes. It's disco tribute band at Butlins in 2005, not disco revival in 2020. I don't HATE it, but it feels like an album option that should have been left in the studio.

Yeah. Where Does The DJ Go? has had the least staying power for me. I usually skip.

The extended version is a bit better though - mainly because it feels less in your face.

09 Dance Floor Darling - this was one of the songs I saved and I really love this. This was the perfect time to mix the sound up, and I love how 80s pop this is, with the synths and the rock guitars in the chorus (why did every pop song in the 80s have rock guitars). I love her voice on this one too. The chorus is so good. There's a lot happening in this production wise, but it feels more like an ensemble of ideas, rather than a hodge podge. Very uplifting. I've only just noticed that the tempo increases at the end; did it do that on the single version? Anyway, yeah love this. After what we've talked about on her recent albums, she definitely got the singles RIGHT on this album didn't she, bloody hell.

08 Unstoppable - Oh I don't recognise this but I'm really liking it. Very mid 80s post disco. The vocal is great here, she sounds like she's having fun on this album. Less like an obligation, more like trying to make a statement. I'd put this in the trifecta of 80s anthems with SS and DFD of not quite disco, more 80s pop, but fitting perfectly on a very good disco album. This could have been a single in my eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom