funky does Kylie: "DISCO" (2020)

08 Unstoppable - Oh I don't recognise this but I'm really liking it. Very mid 80s post disco. The vocal is great here, she sounds like she's having fun on this album. Less like an obligation, more like trying to make a statement. I'd put this in the trifecta of 80s anthems with SS and DFD of not quite disco, more 80s pop, but fitting perfectly on a very good disco album. This could have been a single in my eyes.
Kylie calls this her Diana Ross moment.

I have warmed to this more than any other song.

06 Celebrate You - this is a bit Jane McDonald isn't it, let's be honest. I suppose it works fine for an album closer, especially given the album direction. There's a lot of creative license for a bit of cheese and pastiche on an album like this. Amazing what you can get away with when you come with conviction. This album is SUCH a turnaround after a decade of not being quite sure where you fit in. She's managed put herself alongside some of the biggest names in pop in a year when pop will be remembered for owning the year, in a year when we really fucking needed good pop music.

WELL DONE KYLIE.

The Deluxe version of this album contains one of its best songs (IMO) in Til You Love Somebody.

Bonus tracks

07 Til You Love Somebody -
her voice sounds great on this. Honestly I'd have taken this over some of the original album tracks. ALthough it has disco influences this is much more like Say Something in that it definitely sounds like a song from 2020, with a lot of modern tropes. Not in a bad way though. Here for this.

07 Fine Wine - these sort of songs, the Copa Cobana / Club Tropicana reworks, they shouldn't work but you have to just enjoy them for what they are. If you're going to do a song like this, this is the album to do it. At least she sounds like she's having fun.

06 Hey Lonely - this sounds a bit safe but also sounds like it could grow. The production is nice. Another that harks back to an 80s pop chart song.

08 Spotlight - This is great actually. It doesn't break any boundaries or anything, but this feels like a proper modern disco record. Strangely, her vocal sounds more lively and immediate than on some of the main album songs for some reason. Maybe she was purposely going for a different sound on those tracks. But she's full on disco queen here.

I really like her vocal runs on Hey Lonely. She rarely does that on record.

05 A Second To Midnight - this just feels like a waste of time really. It's not at all a bad song. But if you're going to reboot your album and bring on board some big names to help you, this isn't the way to do it. This is very basic for a disco revival song. It might not help that I'm so over Y&Y, his voice does nothing for me.

08 Kiss Of Life - meanwhile, Jessie Ware brings some magic to a Kylie duet. This is not my favourite song from either of their respective eras, but it's certainly fun, quirky, nice production (what a bassline) and a fabulous video. It also feels like a proper duet, the way the vocals are shared.

Reactions: COB
08 Can't Stop Writing Songs About You - I actually really like this. It's a nice change of pace slowing it down into more of a groove record, and choosing Gloria Gaynor was quite an inspired choice. She might be a gay disco queen but you don't hear much from here these days so it was a great cameo. This ended up being quite the radio hit in the UK didn't it.

07 Real Groove (2054 Remix) - Sorry but I prefer the original! But it certainly helped the streams for the album. Thanks Dua.

08 Real Groove Initial Talk mix - this is great though. This should have been the single really because the 2054 mix just sounds exactly like the album version but with Dua added on. This feels like a rework and the SAW production is perfectly executed, perfectly timed.

Reactions: COB
I disagree that the Studio 2054 Remix sounds like the album version. That instrumental middle 8/breakdown is VERY Future Nostalgia (this was produced by William Bowerman).

08 Magic
08 Miss A Thing
08 Real Groove
06 Monday Blues
08 Supernova
11 Say Something
08 Last Chance
07 I Love It
05 Where Does The DJ Go?
09 Dance Floor Darling
08 Unstoppable
06 Celebrate You

07 TIll You Love Somebody
07 Fine Wine
06 Hey Lonely
08 Spotlight

05 A Second To Midnight
08 Kiss Of Life
08 Can't Stop Writing Songs About You
07 Real Groove (2054 Remix)

WOW. After a decade of middling to forgotten about, this was a career revival in so many ways. Kylie really re-found her (real) groove on this album, at the right time as well. First glance is that there isn't a single dud on the album, and only a couple of skippable moments over a very long album, and including all the bonus moments. I definitely had renewed faith in her after the singles over the three periods that this project went through, but for whatever reason I never really invested in the album (probably overshadowed by Jessie, Dua, Gaga) but there's plenty to love here. Absolutely, undoubtedly a career high.

And surely going to FUCK with my Top 20, just as I'm about to finish...

Though there's no need for a reaction, you should listen to the extended version of Say Something. It's probably the ultimate take on the song.

Or you could just watch this:

:disco:

So my final Top 20. Just as things were about to look like her new music was not finding its way in, DISCO comes along.

1. Say Something (DISCO)
2. Sweet Music (Body Language)
3. Breathe (Impossible Princess)
4. Confide In Me (Kylie Minogue)
5. Step Back In Time (Rhythm Of Love)
6. Where Is The Feeling (single mix) (Kylie Minogue)
7. Finer Feelings (Brothers In Rhythm 12" mix) (Let's Get To It)
8. What Do I Have To Do (Rhythm Of Love)
9. The One (X)
10. Shocked (Rhythm Of Love)
-----------------------------------------------------------
11. Surrender (Kylie Minogue)
12. Still Standing (Body Language)
13. Dance Floor Darling (DISCO)
14. Look My Way (Kylie)
15. Can't Get You Out Of My Head (Fever)
16. Love At First Sight (Fever)
17. Slow (Body Language)
18. Put Yourself In My Place (Kylie Minogue)
19. I Believe In You (Ultimate Kylie)
20. Jump (Impossible Princess)

And for the record, Til You Love Somebody is my favorite thing here

very shocked (by the power) at how highly funks rated Disco across the board. for once my average would be quite a bit lower I think. it's not a bad album but outside of the singles, I Love It (amazing) and Miss a Thing, very little staying power. it's hard to imagine wanting to go back to it when WYP? and Future Nostalgia are right there.

at least it gave us Infinite Disco. :disco:

Spice Girls will be a fun interlude... have you not heard the albums before @funky ? Or are you adding the solo albums to the mix :D :o

I’m thinking maybe the Spice Girls :o

I assume my suggestion to include the Emma Bunton back cat has been TAKEN ON BOARD.

Honestly you could do the 3 Spice albums, Northern Star and Emma's first two/three if you're feeling generous and (given your obvious distaste for Geri) skip the rest.

I’ve heard the first album for sure but not listened to it since the 90s. As for solos I’d probably be able to do all of them except Geri. The others would at least be a curiosity. There’s no way I could sit through a whole album of those nocals.

I mean I like the Satz as much as the next gay, but they didn’t exactly evolve or develop, so doing them would be a rather pointless exercise. At least with the Spice Girls and mixing in some solo stuff there’s some tangents to talk about, even if there is a lot of guff.

I feel you need to do Geri though. The albums are short, and it’d be nice to see some of those scores :D

Iguana did a very entertaining and in depth Sats deep dive a couple of years ago :disco: I vote for the Sugababes because the prospect of @funky does Sweet 7 is just too much :tongueout:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom