"God Control"

So excited. This is her best single since at Give It 2 Me in my opinion (possibly since Jump) so a big Jonas Åkerlund murder at the disco video is just what the doctor ordered :disco:

I don't say that lightly either as I properly love Medellín, but I think God Control edges it - I can't believe it's 6 minutes long because it just FLIES BY. It has several of my favourite bits on the album, including the fabulous this is your wake up call, I'm like your nightmare - I'm here to start your day! :disco:

Can't wait for the video. It doesn't exactly look like a work of art, but it looks like it has some classic M elements. I think Akerlund is extremely overrated to be honest. His videos often end up looking really cheap. I never understood the love for the Ray of Light video for example. Music, Celebration and Jump are pretty ugly too. Not a fan to be honest. The only video for M that he did that I really liked was the original American Life video.

Can't wait for the video. It doesn't exactly look like a work of art, but it looks like it has some classic M elements. I think Akerlund is extremely overrated to be honest. His videos often end up looking really cheap. I never understood the love for the Ray of Light video for example. Music, Celebration and Jump are pretty ugly too. Not a fan to be honest. The only video for M that he did that I really liked was the original American Life video.
Well "Dark BAllet" and "Medellin" were works of PURE ART for me so I'm all here for a fun video

Knowing her and Jonas and the standard of their collabos in the past (and also the blood-stained short clip she posted) I think there will be a violent element to this to emphasise the gun control aspect and I expect she may get in trouble for it...

Oh I definitely think there'll be a big furore over it. I hope so! We need another classic M "scandal"!

The previous videos did nothing for me. Medellin was generic and cheap looking. Dark Ballet was "arty" in a first year art student kind of way. Dull and pretentious. It even still managed to look cheap, despite the location. Those sped-up trashy-horror camera moves...so naff.

I've accepted that her videos are now always pretty ropey and the Fincher days are long gone, so yeah I wouldn't actually mind a video for every song, no matter how feeble they are.

I love the Medellin and Crave videos. Crave is simple but gorgeous. I like that she added on her mole (RIP) in some of the shots. They're my favourite videos from her since the Confessions era for sure

I love her '80s Susan/Virgin era throwback glam look in CRAVE (the underground car park scenes).

I thought I would like this but I've decided I don't. The album is 'interesting' but I can't really get into it as a full record.

That said "Medellin", INEXPLICABLY and against all logic, is my favourite Madonna song since Dance 2Night and possibly since Jump. Love it.

Speaking of funky...

This was one of the strongest tracks on the album, but as a single it's an odd choice.

Speaking of funky...

This was one of the strongest tracks on the album, but as a single it's an odd choice.

What is a Madonna single in 2019 anyway though? She’s not going to have a hit and they already made videos for the safer tracks(Medellin and Crave), so they might as well release a classic “controversial” M epic as a single.

I'm extremely disappointed. It's a bit of a mess that also completely ruins the actual song by chopping it up like that. I've always hated "stop start" videos. I also think the video would have been much more effective if it had been a standard "oh look we're all having a great time" video, right until the end when they're all murdered. Instead, the backwards/forwards leaps in time ruin any impact it might have had.

So, so clunky.

It's alright. I was convinced the video would start with her singing after being shot and lying on the dance floor.

Hmm. It's certainly bold, and I applaud her for taking such a provocative subject head on (not to rake over the Taylor Swift debate again, but imagine if she'd made a video like THIS...) But I never want to watch it again. And I agree that a more linear narrative would have been more impactful.

Like if you’re going to exploit such a sensitive subject in such a graphic way, at least make sure the song is decent.

I just feel like I never want to bother looking at it again, which is exactly the opposite of how I thought this one would be.

I wonder if there will be a condensed version

It would be hard without a lot of re-editing, wouldn't it?

Anyway, I agree that it's clunky and that it loses impact with the timeline hopping, but I still find a lot to like about it. The colour palettes for this campaign are beautiful.

That said, overall it does feel like a wasted opportunity.

Well I thought it was really powerful, I really liked it. It goes well with the other videos from this era too.

Didn't see Monet X Change?

so many thoughts. a few for now:

the song got totally lost

she needs to deflate those tits

at least she got to wheel out madame x, the typist

also gagged that not one RPDR girl got screentime

I'm extremely disappointed. It's a bit of a mess that also completely ruins the actual song by chopping it up like that. I've always hated "stop start" videos. I also think the video would have been much more effective if it had been a standard "oh look we're all having a great time" video, right until the end when they're all murdered. Instead, the backwards/forwards leaps in time ruin any impact it might have had.

So, so clunky.
Riverwide - are you coping and pasting comments from forum to forum? Never fucking happy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom