How good is your geography?

How good are you?

• Total voters
I got 46/50. It was hard at the beginning with some of the states, even if I knew where they are
It must be a different quiz then - the one I like best stops as soon as you get one wrong. It's all or nothing. I think I lost an entire evening to it once until I completed it.

It must be a different quiz then - the one I like best stops as soon as you get one wrong. It's all or nothing. I think I lost an entire evening to it once until I completed it.
oh I need to do this

or maybe I shouldn't because it'll drive me crazy

I got 25/25 on 90s Dance Hits and Artists :disco:

I'm great at map reading and navigation though. Loved being in the scouts.
Me too. I remember one term as school when I was a teenager, we were allowed to do PE around a local park, orienteering. The only time I enjoyed it, or was better than utterly useless.

Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 3.44.13 PM.png

:america::america:

It's always New Hampshire and Vermont which trip me up. First of all remembering which way around they are, and then pressing about 2mm too far one way :evil:

• Care
Reactions: RJN
It's always New Hampshire and Vermont which trip me up. First of all remembering which way around they are, and then pressing about 2mm too far one way :evil:
I was lucky that Maine and New York appeared first, so I didn't have to try too hard to click in the right place for them

well now it looks like I'm lying :D :(
Perhaps it's just different browsers or screen formatting?

I can see the 25% average score is exactly the same, anyway.

It varies depending on the country and basically the continent.
Our schools had very little time for anything out of Europe and the North African and Middle East neighborhoods.

I know the German, Spanish and Italian states/regions. Less so the French ones because they changed fairly recently. But when it comes to UK I’m a mess and that’s mostly because there seems to be a mix of ”shires” and cities etc.

Right, I'm gonna get all 50 by Friday if it kills me.

I just got 134 on countries on the world.

Geography and maps geek since childhood, some countries stronger than others but on the whole VERY good.

I dropped geography at whatever age you choose your options. Not entirely sure why. But then I got jealous of all the great field trips geography students got to go on, which was my motivating factor in doing it for A Level. I think the week I spent based in Slapton Ley field centre when I was 17 was genuinely one of the happiest of my life.

I can remember loads of the field work we did on Dartmoor examining tor formation, jumping in the River Dart measuring wetted perimeters, throwing oranges in and measuring how quickly they travelled, looking at coastal erosion in Hallsands, and then accosting pensioners in Kingsbridge in the name of human geography.

I read that Milwaukee is the most racially segregated city in America

In some T-pain song he rhymes mansion with Wisconsin and I like to pronounce it that way now

It's amazing how many are named in popular culture

Hannah MONTANA
KENTUCKY Fried Chicken
My Own Private IDAHO
Sweet Home ALABAMA
CALIFORNIA Dreamin'

In the UK, we have:

The Only Way is ESSEX
The YORKSHIRE Ripper

I read that Milwaukee is the most racially segregated city in America
We only for a day from Chicago. Really only to tick off another state, plus I was genuinely interested in the Milwaukee Art Museum (instant archiboner)

IMG_1294.JPG

Stupidly I picked a day that the museum was closed :bruised:

We saw a statue of The Fonz and found a fantastic second hand book store though, so at least the day wasn't wasted :basil:

I just got 40/48 on English counties.

Warwickshire is always a surprise.

Anyway, geography very good. I can do US states no outlines (at least I have done in the past). Uk geography used to be a weak point but I've worked on it.

In terms of international maps, not longshore drift and oxbow lakes.

Just going through an old topic where @Nancy had never noticed Denmark on the map before and I felt I needed to address the issue.

Bad geography really winds me up. Mr Ag is terrible at identifying countries on maps and I find it deeply frustrating. I always loved maps ever since I understood them.

Such conversations inevitably lead to Sporcle.

I think I can normally get to about 120, maybe 150 on a good day, which isn't amazing, but still not total shit. I'm a bit shit at Africa and the Pacific island nations are always a total question except for Vanuatu and Tuvalu for some reason.

So on balance a 4.

All of this.

I am so fascinated / frustrated by total ignorance to geography, particularly the American mentality where the world stops at Maine.

I can easily name all 200 countries. I can usually remember every capital but I struggle sometimes to remember which capital belongs to which country

I can place pretty much all of them on a map

But when it comes to mountains lakes and rivers I’m a bit shit.

How many states do you think you could identify?

All of them, and I can do it in my head (I have a visual memory so I just go round the map in my head)

I probably would get the placement of some of the Midwest ones mixed up though. Maybe Nebraska and Wyoming back to front that sort of thing. But I can name them all.

I’m also very good with cities, could probably name the 100 biggest cities in America. State capitals, not so much.

• Love
Reactions: RJN

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom