Ian Cognito DEAD

Zu

User
To be quite honest I had no idea he even existed but there you go. Obviously not enough Greaze references for my liking

Although I have to say that the intensely unfunny and frankly sinister Jimmy Carr being one of the first to pay tribute would make me think I’d done something terribly wrong in life if I’d been the one who’d carked it

The comedy circuit appears to have a few of these figures who never make it to telly and/or to fame. I had heard the name but knew no more about him.

Still, what a death. Sits down during a performance and dies.

the intensely unfunny and frankly sinister Jimmy Carr

Actually, Moopy should talk about Jimmy Carr. I can sit through 3 Frankie Boyle specials and a Jerry Sadowitz bootleg and still Jimmy Carr is about the only "comedian" who offends me. And I adore Katherine Ryan so I wish she would extricate herself from him; that's 2 bloody shows they do together now. Must have the same management.

We so should. He’s utterly repulsive in every way and totally dislikeable and it never fails to astound me that anyone thinks he’s even slightly amusing

Frankie Boyle can be a bit much but at least there’s a heart and a brain there, and also I would quite like a nosh on him :horny:

But I LIKE noshing Flumps!

Here Flumpy Flumpy, noshy for Zu :disco:

I'm watching some Ian Cognito on YouTube. Lots of swearing, "edgy" jokes about terrorism and alcoholism. Can see why he wasn't on the list to get booked onto "Live At The Apollo".

Actually, Moopy should talk about Jimmy Carr. I can sit through 3 Frankie Boyle specials and a Jerry Sadowitz bootleg and still Jimmy Carr is about the only "comedian" who offends me.

Oh god, me too, but I thought it was just me being a hypocrite... jokes about dead babies fine, sexist jokes NO.

Try the last Ricky Gervais Netflix stand up show for truly awful. The trans stuff was appalling.

I am super partial to Frankie Boyle.

Oh god, me too, but I thought it was just me being a hypocrite... jokes about dead babies fine, sexist jokes NO.

The trouble is this - all his pedo and sexist stuff just doesn't sound like jokes. He has too much of the Patrick Bateman about him for it not to come off as gross and creepy. Plus, he's really not that funny as a stand-up; he's decent as a host because he's quick-witted but his stand-up is pretty dreadful.

Try the last Ricky Gervais Netflix stand up show for truly awful. The trans stuff was appalling.

I am super partial to Frankie Boyle.

I heard about the Gervais thing so I;m not going to add to his numbers by watching it.

Boyle works because, at core, he cares. He punches up for the most part and when he doesn't, there's at least a point to it; he's usually commenting on our culture rather than the individual.

Plus, he was the first person I heard describe someone as a "challenge wank" which is all sorts of delightful.

@octophone whats your views on Limmy?

Hit and miss but at his best, he's superb. The fake medium show ("Paraside"?) was brilliant, as was most of the DeeDee sketches, the latter in particular showing real compassion for his character at times.

I like his "to the camera" stuff as well.

Boyle works because, at core, he cares. He punches up for the most part and when he doesn't, there's at least a point to it; he's usually commenting on our culture rather than the individual.
Yeah his humour is obscene, but it appears to come from a decent place. His much lauded Harvey Price gag is nothing you wouldn't hear in the pub. It's a great gag though, if utterly unfair - but isn't that the point?

Yeah his humour is obscene, but it appears to come from a decent place. His much lauded Harvey Price gag is nothing you wouldn't hear in the pub. It's a great gag though, if utterly unfair - but isn't that the point?

For me, that was one time where he missed the mark. I totally get where he was coming from and, yeah, I've heard a lot worse but his justification didn't quite match the gag.

The "Michael Jackson's Children's Hospital" routine is fucking brutal, I'm amazed he didn't get a lot more shit for that but then, I guess it was never televised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom