Is it time to DITCH the Juries?

Get RID

• Total voters
The fact that it was the public that put Austria where it belongs really tells you what you need to know about the juries
On what sane planet does a pop song that worked on as many levels as Who The Hell Is Edgar did deserve 4th from last? Like I rarely properly get the arse about these things, but dismissing it as a 'written in five minutes bit of tosh' thing really is a HAVE SOME FUCKING RESPECT moment!

On what sane planet does a pop song that worked on as many levels as Who The Hell Is Edgar did deserve 4th from last? Like I rarely properly get the arse about these things, but dismissing it as a 'written in five minutes bit of tosh' thing really is a HAVE SOME FUCKING RESPECT moment!
Yes, that po po po po refrain must have taken weeks to come up with.

Yes, that po po po po refrain must have taken weeks to come up with.
The point was literally that the song and package worked on multiple levels. Like all the best pop does. This is just as wilfully pigheaded as Dark Carnival trying to dismiss Konstrakta as 'the hand washing song'.

The performers had all the va va voom of a pair of lamb chops FOR ONE!

It does not take 5 minutes to write a song that hits the reference points and has the exact right words, rhyming structure and inspirations that that song does and pulls it off musically to boot. Aside from anything else, their interviews make it pretty clear one of them ended up not going back to work and staying at a songwriting camp about a day or two longer than they could really afford once the inspiration struck during the writing process.

It does not take 5 minutes to write a song that hits the reference points and has the exact right words, rhyming structure and inspirations that that song does and pulls it off musically to boot. Aside from anything else, their interviews make it pretty clear one of them ended up not going back to work and staying at a songwriting camp about a day or two longer than they could really afford once the inspiration struck during the writing process.
Well she shouldn't have done that. Waste of everyone's time.

Last edited:
I've been thinking a LOT about this ever since I opened my laptop several seconds ago. Obviously, last night's result has made me double down on my letters to parliament to have Heidi Range beheaded, but I do feel that we need the juries for a overall balance.

I think they may need to review the diversity of the jury members and the criteria they base their votes on, but it's hard to know how to quantify a phenomenon like Cha Cha Cha. Tattoo is polished and clinically professional and it makes sense for that to come out on top with industry professionals, but Cha Cha Cha is a force of nature that managed to rally people overwhelmingly behind it because it's so raw and chaotic, despite being almost the antithesis of jury bait. What criteria could the juries vote on that would accommodate for that? If an 'audience appeal' criteria (or something similarly weighted to rewarding the fan favourites) was introduced, it would just mean the juries were trying to replicate or pre-empt the public vote as opposed to serving as a counterpoint and awarding huge amounts of points to boring Estonian songs because they're musically worthy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom