Is it time to DITCH the Juries?

Get RID

• Total voters
Also, fundamentally - getting rid of the juries would make for an *actively worse* show. The televote reveal at the end has been a revelation for it as an actual televisual spectacle.
100%. I don't feel strongly about the juries, but I do feel strongly about the REALLY FUCKING EXCITING VOTE REVEAL FORMAT which has just brought the second half of the contest alive for me. Find me a more reliably exciting moment of television each year.

If there's no way to have that without the juries, then we must keep the juries until the end of time.

I don't know about ditching them entirely, but maybe the weighting of jury/televote points could be tweaked?
I was trying to think how this could be done in the simplest way - they are a bit hamstrung with the cultural relevance of 12 and the need to broadcast each jury result.

I wonder if they could let televoters give out 11 and 9 points. That would give about a 42/58 split. It would also have the added advantage (from the EBU’s eyes) of reducing the chance of presenters announcing nil points and single digit scores.

EDIT: Although, actually this probably wouldn’t do very much when we’re dealing with two songs grabbing up most of the jury and televote 12s already.

Last edited:
There’s a place for the juries but when a country wins the televote by a landslide and doesn’t win the whole thing, it makes you question the system. Maybe lower the impact of the juries. And yes I know I’m biased.

I'm happy with the current 50/50 split. The juries were reintroduced for good reason when the contest was at a low ebb.

They vote using clear criteria each year, and so there will always likely be some variance between what they and the public vote for. For most parts it works.

I'm happy with the current 50/50 split. The juries were reintroduced for good reason when the contest was at a low ebb.

They vote using clear criteria each year, and so there will always likely be some variance between what they and the public vote for. For most parts it works.

Wasn’t it even something like 49.5/50.5?

Now Russia are out, there doesn't appeae to be as much need for juries. I mean Georgia and Azerbaijan both NQ'd, by a public vote.

But they do stop the worst instincts of the public. Looking at the results, Sweden would only have won once since 2010, AND WE CAN'T HAVE THAT.

I think the main issue if you got rid of the juries is that a hell of a lot more lowest common denominator trash would come through - as that is an easier sell to the public than a technically good pop song and performance. It has the potential to turn the contest into a full on novelty fest which i think would be a death knell. The juries at least keep everything balanced song and quality wise, which is why I think it is still relevant and increasingly so.

I think the main issue if you got rid of the juries is that a hell of a lot more lowest common denominator trash would come through
And yet Austria, which is the epitome of lowest common denominator trash.

Oh yes, by no means are they perfect. There’s always exceptions. But I think overall it is more balanced because of them.

I think I’ve come up with a way to resolve this that everyone will be happy with. I think it can be agreed that both Sweden and Finland should be in any reasonable top ten. Therefore, if we add a slightly below average mark of five points for every situation where either a jury or a televote didn’t give any points to one of them then we’ll get the real score.

Sweden missed out on points in one televote, so they will get five points added for a very respectable total score of 588. Finland missed out with fourteen juries, so it’s only fair that they get seventy extra points added to their score for a total of 596.

It’s entirely impossible for anyone to disagree with such clear logic and I look forward to the EBU’s ratification of the corrected result. I will see you in Tampere next May.

I can’t get over the evil Finns not giving Loreen any points on the televote!

Clearly a very wicked and spiteful nation!
Oh that really was FAR TOO MUCH

Clearly all VERY SICK INDEED

Also it’s all a bit silly as more often than not the jury winner isn’t the overall winner.

Reactions: Zu
And AS IF a constantly presented pair of boobs, bowl cut and stinking plastic bolero EVER had a chance against GRACIOUS EUROSONG ROYALTY

Of course I can say this now it's all over :eyes:

I really don't think I can take another EUROSAISON quite as loaded and invigorating as this one has been. All the songs and acts to be unengaging and of no interest next year please :disco:

Ok, now that some of the GAY HYSTERIA has passed, I am no longer a total abolitionist.

However, the PRIMACY OF THE PUBLIC needs to be re-established. I think an elegant way to do it would be to add a 9 and a 15 into the public vote. This gives them a bit more sway, and also means there will be 12 countries getting points rather than 10 which spreads things round a bit more too.

Seriously what an evil nation they turned out to be. First they backstab us in the NATO negotiations with Turkey and then they give us nothing in the televote! :evil:

All this blasphemy started last year when noted decadent druggie Sanna Marin visited our PM Magdalena (peace be upon her) and spoke in ENGLISH instead of Swedish (as Finnish PMs and Presidents normally do when they visit us).

Seriously what an evil nation they turned out to be. First they backstab us in the NATO negotiations with Turkey and then they give us nothing in the televote! :evil:

All this blasphemy started last year when noted decadent druggie Sanna Marin visited our PM Magdalena (peace be upon her) and spoke in ENGLISH instead of Swedish (as Finnish PMs and Presidents normally do when they visit us).
:shock: Just RUDE!

HOPE K GETS RUN OVER BY HIS SAUNA BUS AND THEY NEVER ENTER AGAIN

When does UMK 2024 start? :tongueout:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom