Is Mae headed for an IGNOMINIOUS BOTTOM FIVE PLACING?

Is she headed for the bottom 5?

• Total voters
I keep reminding myself this is one of the best SONGS of the year and might save us from total humiliation. Following Croatia is probably about the best she could have hoped for really

Reactions: GNL
Looking at the running order though it’s a very strong final, with even the duds (Switzerland, Ukraine, Germany) having their niches in the televote.

We have to (yes we HAVE TO) think about what is realistically likely to finish below Mae.

I'd say SERBIA.

I'll think about the rest:hostage:

I can’t unsee the resemblence

200w.gif

Estonia will get some jury votes.

This may well be coming LAST

Having now seen all the acts I'm finding it hard to predict this, because I think it's one of the stronger songs, but based on the onstage youtube performance she's absolutely the worst performer left? (and so DEEPLY UNAPPEALING when performing)

If the majority of votes are based on what happens on the night - which I imagine they are - then I do now fear we're fucked. And I'm also not sure any existing fans of the song will be inspired to pick up the phone by her croaking about on stage looking, in the nicest possible way, absolutely dreadful?

LOVELY STAGING THOUGH

Yeah I think this is fucked. As ridiculous as it sounds, as a fan its genuinely quite upsetting. Especially seeing how the we turned it around last year and are once again going back to the bottom of the scoreboard on homesoil.:(

Thinking im gonna have to take myself offline for the next 24 hours and just try and enjoy the contest for what it is(yes ridiculous as that sounds - its actually made me feel quite down :D:D).

Anyways - Enjoy everyone!

Genuinely think the UK delegation have basically given up at this point - they've provided great staging, the song is good, the press and PR has been fantastic, Mae has been everywhere, the song is basically a hit - Mae HERSELF is the problem and there's literally nothing they can do to fix it.

It's all starting to smack of DAMAGE LIMITATION, and protecting poor Mae from the comments she's gonna get on Saturday night...

Have we considered that she could be singing particularly badly on purpose so that she can turn up on Saturday, be vaguely competent and it looks brilliant by comparison?

*puts on tinfoil hat*

Maybe we need to urgently hit up Poland for some expensive looking camera effects?

I was just comparing Blanka’s NF performance to last night and it is transformative (and she didn’t gain any more TALANT). Mae is literally the reverse of that.

Not that I am always (or even rarely) correct but after Sam I think I said the BBC delegation was still fundamentally useless and contains most of the same people behind ‘Embers’ - what has happened with Mae seems testament to that.

Just me who is kind of furious?

I like the staging, and it's probably enough to elevate an otherwise competent performance.

But it is frustrating that "competence" is still the level we're working to. I'm not sure I fully understand why she's so lacklustre either; she played 30+ shows supporting Little Mix, and while that doesn't necessarily make her GOOD, it should surely be enough for her not to look so panic stricken. It's also vaguely understandable why a song might not be a perfect fit for a singer if it's been handed to them, but she co-wrote the bloody thing.

We routinely fail to understand that a Eurovision performance needs MOMENTS rather than just being a pleasant fluffy pop song.

We clearly just FLUKED that they chose Sam last year.

I honestly think even Loreen would have struggled to elevate this Dua Lipa lite nonsense, so I don't put all of the blame on Mae's stage presence.

Mae has brought the right attitude and approach to the contest but lacked the vocal talent, confidence and stage presence to make it work on the night. We had a really good song this year - I truly believe it is one of the best this year and that someone like Noa Kirel could take it top five with the right team behind her. The song was let down by poor to mediocre staging and wardrobe, as well as the above notes on Mae herself as a performer.

This isn’t a particularly great prognosis, but in the recent past we’ve had shit songs and poor attitudes from the performers, in addition to everything else. Of course, finding an artist with the chops to take our great song to the heady heights of top five will continue to be the biggest challenge of our attitude towards the contest doesn’t improve.

Honestly baffled at any take that I Wrote A Song was one of the best this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom