Israel's participation in Eurovision 2024

Ultimately, we're all going to have to go through this anyway (apart from you boring lot insisting you're gonna boycott now, and even then I suspect you'll be glued for live updates on how many decibels Israel:s booing will reach / the wave of memes splicing it with the money note from Sugar; Janet Leon - Hollow, etc.), so if Israel's gonna get to have it all ways, I absolutely plan on doing the same and indulging every emotional impulse and angle it is possible for me to contain on this entry between now and May :disco: We already know this blank canvas is gonna be a Pollock by the end whatever happens

We cancelled our flights and accommodation this morning.

I support people still attending and hope that it’s an amazing time, but for me it’s all just too upsetting to actually be physically immersed in it and I know that I wouldn’t be able to enjoy myself. I just hope that Israel’s participation continues to raise awareness of the children dying in Gaza.

I'm absolutely watching. I love Eurovision and Israel are just one country, there many innocent parties across multiple delegations to deserve such a boycott (obviously the Swedish twins are pure evil, but what a fucking banger).

We'll probably mute it during Israel.

My personal intention when I watch it in the arena is to be silent. I won’t boo, but I certainly won’t cheer or clap for it.

As for boycotting it, I sympathise with the sentiment, and I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t had to wrestle with my conscience a bit, but ultimately it feels a bit misplaced. The broader issue is with Israel’s continued membership of the EBU, and that goes far beyond Eurovision. I wonder if people will be expected to boycott the Olympics, the World Cup etc?

Also at the risk of equivocating, we’ve clearly all made our peace with greeting Azerbaijan’s continued participation with nothing more than a bit of light grumbling.

My personal intention when I watch it in the arena is to be silent. I won’t boo, but I certainly won’t cheer or clap for it.
You could always go to the bar and get me a drink x

a few of the artists have released a statement which is very Lorraine_Kelly_what's_the_point_of_that_then?.gif

The most wishy washy statement imaginable and they could only rally nine artists to sign it? :DAF:

The most wishy washy statement imaginable and they could only rally nine artists to sign it? :DAF:

To be fair, I think anybody with half a braincell would realise it's better to say nothing quietly rather than making a public announcement that you're saying nothing.

The EBU Security Council has spoken!

It seems like they're aligning with the stance adopted by numerous governments globally a few months back.

It indicates a pro-status quo, non-interference inclination, with a "let's focus on the music, shall we?" twist.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t be inclined to judge the group statement too harshly. I dread to think how many rounds of legal and compliance they must have had to go through to arrive at something they could release.

I wouldn’t be inclined to judge the group statement too harshly. I dread to think how many rounds of legal and compliance they must have had to go through to arrive at something they could release.
Yes, there’s no way the BBC would have allowed Olly to put his name to anything stronger after all the shit that Mae got last year (and everything that has come in post-Linekar too).

I just can’t help but wonder what the point is if it necessarily has to be watered down so much.

Reactions: VoR
I'm always intrigued at who does or doesn't get included in things like this. Am picturing Marcus really wanting to sign but then finding out that Martinus is quite pro-Netanyahu.

Do they not know that the ~oppressed~ in Gaza are people of their kind? Are they not aware what happens to people like them in Gaza? :wired:
I’d imagine they are, yes. Glad you’re finally getting it.

Does she not know that the ~oppressed~ in Gaza are people of her kind? Is she not aware what happens to people like her in Gaza? :wired:

It's possible to understand that queer people are oppressed in Gaza by many fellow Palestinians, and also that they are oppressed in Gaza by the IDF indiscriminately murdering them.

I hope this helps your understanding.

Last edited:
Rita Pahani makes Tucker Carlson look like a paragon of journalistic integrity.

Can I ask a stupid question, if Eurovision are trying to ignore this campaign with the rationale of "we need to focus on the music, it's not the artist's fault?, why is Russia still not participating?

Surely that stance has more prejudicial ramifications than banning Israel as well?

Can I ask a stupid question, if Eurovision are trying to ignore this campaign with the rationale of "we need to focus on the music, it's not the artist's fault?, why is Russia still not participating?

Surely that stance has more prejudicial ramifications than banning Israel as well?
In short the main financial contributors wanted Russia out, but don't want Israel out.

The EBU is a union, so it can only act in accordance with its member bodies.

With Russia, there was very quickly a consensus on sanctioning them. No such consensus exists for Israel. While a lot of individuals and groups have protested, none of the broadcasters have seriously threatened to withdraw if Israel aren’t removed.

This is why I think the focus on pressuring the artists is understandable but unfair. These decisions are far above their heads.

It's essentially down to the UK, France and German broadcasters/ governments.

Because Russia invaded Ukraine, whereas Israel was invaded by Gaza on October 7th.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom