J. K. Rowling and other TERFs

To be honest I didn't really like the books that much anyway. I only read the first 4. Couldn't make it through the rest.

And the films were shite.

I don't think she will. She's chosen a hill and seems more than prepared to die on it.

To be honest I didn't really like the books that much anyway. I only read the first 4. Couldn't make it through the rest.

And the films were shite.
The first two are definitely a writer with a great idea trying to thread things together in spite of how much I loved them at the time. She's at her best in those when she's describing everyday magical happenings in the castle.

It's definitely an upward trajectory from Prisoner of Azkaban though. Umbridge is a complete masterstroke in villainry. Ironically the most sinister thing about her is the unshakeable commitment she has to her discriminatory outlook on those she doesn't consider 'normal'.

Learn from your own characters Rowling, fgs. :(

I have a ravenclaw wall art thing that is very much on borrowed time. I also wear a Harry potter hoodie for lounging around that I should probably replace as well.

I don't have a bookshelf so the books themselves are currently in the back of the cupboard ne'er to see daylight again.

I saw a thing on Twitter a while back where someone went back to one of the books and made a pretty convincing case that Rowling wrote the character of Rita Skeeter to be an unflattering portrayal of a trans woman. There were descriptions of her having 'larger than average hands' and a fucking Adam's apple and stuff, which went over my head as I'm sure it was in one of the first four books I actually read years ago...

To be fair I think most of us were pretty ignorant 15 20 years when her childish trash books came out. The debate and the issue has publicly evolved dramatically. Where she stands now is the most important.

Sad that Nigella had to have an experience of a trans family member to come round. Nevertheless, having read that article she seems to have fully submerged herself in the pro trans position and that's fantastic. I don’t agree that JK and Piers Morgan should have their platforms. The world is slightly better with Graham Lineham off Twitter.

I don't think she will. She's chosen a hill and seems more than prepared to die on it.

I disagree. I'm not saying she'll change in the next year or two. But give it a couple of decades.

People like Piers Morgan were spouting the most homophobic stuff 30 years ago - and now, as much as he is still a transphobe, he has actually come a long way in his homophobia. I'm proud of him. :gross:

To be fair I think most of us were pretty ignorant 15 20 years when her childish trash books came out. The debate and the issue has publicly evolved dramatically. Where she stands now is the most important.

Sad that Nigella had to have an experience of a trans family member to come round. Nevertheless, having read that article she seems to have fully submerged herself in the pro trans position and that's fantastic. I don’t agree that JK and Piers Morgan should have their platforms. The world is slightly better with Graham Lineham off Twitter.

Exactly. Now is what matters as long as you own your mistakes and that's why I appreciated the honesty in Nigella's article so much.

Maybe we as gay men have a unique viewpoint on it, but I don't see transphobia and homophobia as greatly different (I understand there are significant differences, but I suspect they come from a similar place). Don't come at me as an ally and then say shit about trans people.

Mind you, having immersed myself in gay academia in recent months, transphobia from gay men was the norm until fairly recently.

I disagree. I'm not saying she'll change in the next year or two. But give it a couple of decades.

People like Piers Morgan were spouting the most homophobic stuff 30 years ago - and now, as much as he is still a transphobe, he has actually come a long way in his homophobia. I'm proud of him. :gross:

Perhaps. For the sake of my professional sanity I should remind myself we all should be capable of change.

I'm not sure Piers was ever so considered in his phobia though, was he?

And I also think it's easier changing in your 40s and 50s than it is in your 70s.

That WASN'T Nigella's article btw. She merely linked to it to make a point.

Exactly. Now is what matters as long as you own your mistakes and that's why I appreciated the honesty in Nigella's article so much.

I think I should make it clear (as a life long Nigella fan) that she DID NOT WRITE THE ARTICLE.

I think I should make it clear (as a life long Nigella fan) that she DID NOT WRITE THE ARTICLE.

OMG

:D

I'm gutted. Because it made me love her so much.

But if she agrees with the sentiment then fine. :D

I think in some ways it's better if it ISN'T her, in terms of her allyship credentials, isn’t it?

Nigella appeared on Eurovision of course she's an LGBTQ+ ally.

Even more impressive when you consider her father and worse her brother who apparently attributed the result of the United Kingdom European Union membership referendum to the legalisation of same-sex marriage.

Piers Morgan is a gutter press journalist who moves with the opinions of the people who buy into his press.

JK is a rich as fuck woman who (unfortunately) can think and tweet what she wants. Their lives and situations are different and I can't see her in ten or twenty years time admitting she was wrong. It's a shame but she's dying on that hill for sure. Or dead already in many eyes.

For me, I am convinced that with transphobia, misogyny and homophobia, you can't be just one and not the other two. I think most gays have woken up to this, but bullets are still fired. I was going to say sadly not in the direction of JK, but that wouldn't be very nice.

Piers Morgan is a gutter press journalist who moves with the opinions of the people who buy into his press.

JK is a rich as fuck woman who (unfortunately) can think and tweet what she wants. Their lives and situations are different and I can't see her in ten or twenty years time admitting she was wrong. It's a shame but she's dying on that hill for sure. Or dead already in many eyes.

Piers Morgan is maybe a bad example. In the 1980s it was commonplace to be publicly homophobic and celebrities could do it as much as anyone. Remember the vast majority of people supported Section 28. Now VERY few celebrities stand out and say things that are overtly homophobic.

I think in 30 years time the only ones who will still be doing it for trans people are uneducated morons like that boxer that did the homophobic rant recently, because the tide of opinion will have changed enough to force people like Rowling to come out and apologise. At the moment she doesn't have to apologise because enough of the public, sadly, agree with her.

For me, I am convinced that with transphobia, misogyny and homophobia, you can't be just one and not the other two. I think most gays have woken up to this, but bullets are still fired. I was going to say sadly not in the direction of JK, but that wouldn't be very nice.

That doesn't really make sense. JK Rowling is clearly not a misogynist. And is clearly transphobic.

I think it's dangerous to start firing accusations of homophobia at someone because they are transphobic. They are different things entirely.

That doesn't really make sense. JK Rowling is clearly not a misogynist. And is clearly transphobic.

I think it's dangerous to start firing accusations of homophobia at someone because they are transphobic. They are different things entirely.

I agree. It's the same logic that made people think that all minorities are each other's allies. Which we know is garbage.

I'm saying they are connected and I don't think that is dangerous at all.

Guys don't give the books to charity so a new generation of children grows up to like her. TORCH THEM IN A PYRE!

yeah I wondered why people would rather share them (and dump them on the poor old cows in charity shops)

@Chlammy you still got something positive from it, so just keep that. It doesn’t mean you are supporting her.

I'm happy to say that she's never had a penny off of me which isn't anything other than the dumb luck of having no interest at all in her work. I know at least 2 people who were huge HP fans who are absolutely gutted at what she's coming out with. I can empathise with that, being old enough to have had The Full Morrissey Experience. It is genuinely distressing when someone whose work you value highly turns out to be an absolute stain on humanity's y-fronts.

Also, we've seen a few career TERFS coming out against BLM at the weekend...no full names because they Google themselves relentlessly but one who renamed herself after a well-known heavy-on-the-water city that's popular with tourists and gondolas alike was seen heckling BLM speakers (including telling a black cis woman to "go and wash your dick"). Transphobia is where the extremes of the left and the right loop round to meet each other, that's why it's so frightening.

She retweeted this last month:

Because this is so reverent to all of our lives.

"because no-one's feelings got hurt" - wow. Really? Ok in that case I'm against women's rights, they shouldn't have the vote, and don't come at me if that hurts your feelings.

SUEDEY'S HOT JK ROWLING UPDATE:

I decided to bin my Harry Potter books in the end rather than give them to a charity shop. As it happens I was in a rush to get the bin bags ready before heading into work so I dumped the cat litter into the same bin bag as the books. That should render the books utterly useless to anyone ever. May I also add here that we have two kittens one of whom is rather overweight so the litter tray was extra full of cat shit and piss when I dumped it all with the Harry Potter books into the same bin bag. :) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom