J. K. Rowling and other TERFs

All the awful TERF-y hacks weighed in that it was TOO DENSE and DIFFICULT for them to understand.

Judith Butler is a total (gender non-binary) QUEEN! the interviewer seemed like a real CUNT!

The only reason the NS let Judith Butler speak is because they are already a noted authority. If I was to say something similar, I would just be subject to the usual insults and abuse.

I guarantee you their next edition will have a piece about why Judith Butler is wrong about everyfink mainly because the interviewer lacked the intelligence to have a discussion at their level.

I would love to have had Judith as a lecturer. I was very pleased to read her answers. I assume she was sent questions via email rather than a skype type thing as the interviewer was just throwing questions out like popcorn.

So apparently an open letter defending Rowling has been written and signed by numerous arseholes:

Ian McEwan, author
Lionel Shriver, author
Griff Rhys Jones, actor
Graham Linehan, writer [sic]
Maureen Chadwick, writer
Andrew Davies, writer
Frances Barber, actress
Craig Brown, writer
Alexander Armstrong, actor
Amanda Craig, writer
Philip Hensher, writer
Susan Hill, writer
Jane Thynne, writer
Ben Miller, actor
Simon Fanshawe, writer
James Dreyfus, actor
Frances Welch, writer
Francis Wheen, writer
Arthur Matthews, writer
Aminatta Forna, writer
Joan Smith, writer
Nick Cohen, journalist
Kath Gotts, composer & lyricist
Ann McManus, writer
Eileen Gallagher, writer & producer
Jimmy Mulville, producer
Lizzie Roper, actress
Stella O’Malley, author
Nina Paley, animator
Julie Bindel, journalist
Abigail Shrier, journalist
Rachel Rooney, author
Jane Harris, writer
Tatsuya Ishida, cartoonist
Lisa Marchiano, author
Zuby, musician and author
Debbie Hayton, journalist [and physics teacher]
Gillian Philip, author
Jonny Best, musician
Manick Govinda, arts consultant
Russell Celyn Jones, writer
Magi Gibson, writer
Victoria Whitworth, writer
Dr Mez Packer, writer
Grace Carley, producer
Sam Leith, journalist
Malcolm Clark, television producer-director [and LGB Alliance director]
Shirley Wishart, musician
Charlotte Delaney, writer
Nehanda Ferguson, musician
Justin Hill, writer
Trezza Azzopardi, writer
Birdy Rose, artist
Jess de Wahls, textile artist
Mo Lovatt, writer
Simon Edge, novelist
Tom Stoppard, playwright
Amanda Smyth, writer

There's approximately five people I've heard of in that list of no-marks, and who knew TOM STOPPARD was still with us?

They really do think safety in numbers is going to stop them being comprehensively cancelled don’t they...

Of course Frances Barber is there. Her enduring friendship and working relationship with Pet Shop Boys continues to rankle. Ditch that evil cow, guys!

Alexander “fox hunter” Armstrong too... I fucking despise him.

Is that the same Arthur Matthews who co-wrote Father Ted? He's kept a very low profile while Linehan was being an open lunatic about all this stuff... I always assumed they didn't share the same view on this stuff (wishful thinking maybe), but I guess not.

Is that the same Arthur Matthews who co-wrote Father Ted? He's kept a very low profile while Linehan was being an open lunatic about all this stuff... I always assumed they didn't share the same view on this stuff (wishful thinking maybe), but I guess not.

Yep, I think it’s him. Very disappointing indeed.

From what I can gather they are not defending her opinions but they're against the abuse she has received online. At least, that's what a few of the signees have said.

From what I can gather they are not defending her opinions but they're against the abuse she has received online. At least, that's what a few of the signees have said.

Ah yes, that old chestnut. It’s bullshit. Rowling made her disgusting, hateful and highly dangerous views known and now doesn’t like the consequences. Tough shit luv.

Reactions: COB
Having read the letter, it talks exclusively about the online abuse she receives and gives absolutely no context for why she might be getting criticised, the harm her rhetoric does to trans people, or the abuse people on her side of things have been dishing out for years.

Having read the letter, it talks exclusively about the online abuse she receives and gives absolutely no context for why she might be getting criticised, the harm her rhetoric does to trans people, or the abuse people on her side of things have been dishing out for years.

Exactly. Her views enable others who then go on to abuse and assault trans people. Are these signatories really so thick that they can’t see that?

Yeah, it's shit. You can't defend her without acknowledging why she's getting the abuse in the first place.

The letter talks about the online abuse she's received in a way that strips it of any context whatsoever, with no mention of why her views might be criticised or how what she says causes harm to a vulnerable community. At this point if you're publicly defending her in this way, when all the information on what she stands for is available, I think it can be taken as read that you're probably not doing it strictly on free speech grounds.

This might have been posted before, but Mermaids posted this a while ago, in response to Rowling's blog post. The whole thing is worth a read, but this bit in particular is heartbreaking:
Today, J.K.Rowling re-stated her position on transgender lives. We have previously reached out to her both publicly and privately, offering a calm conversation around the issues she has raised and today, we sent a further email to her team, renewing that offer. We are yet to receive a response.

As part of that email, we have disclosed something we hoped never to say. We say it now with permission from those involved. Without giving personal detail, without betraying confidences, we must represent the seriousness of the situation. We are aware through our work with families that there have been cases of self-harm and even attempted suicide following J.K.Rowling’s statements and the public response on social media and in the press. Surely this must cause us all to pause and question the way young trans lives are being debated in public.

I'm willing to bet MANY of the people signing this haven't thought of that though, they're just looking at it on face value. The woman who created the letter has been constantly barraging people on Twitter to co-sign it.

I don't agree that JK should be receiving death threats though, because that's just giving her and her supporters fuel for the fire. I understand that people get very passionate about things though and it's easy to get caught up in the moment.

Considering the level of publicity her views have got, I don't think looking at it at face value is an acceptable reason. Or at least, not unless any of them condemn her views with an equal vigour that they are condemning attacks on her.

Nobody should be getting death threats, it's true. I reject the notion that the threats are only coming from one side though, which seems to be how the letter (and the broader "I stand with JK" movement) is attempting to frame things.

There's a lot of names I don't know on that list, but the ones I do know must mostly be in their 60s and older. I'm guessing Armstrong, Miller and Linehan must be amongst the youngest on it, but I believe they are all in their 50s.

Ugh Birdy Rose is younger I think (or certainly trying to look it) I googled her because I wondered if that was Skinny Love Birdy and thankfully not.

There’s a sumptuous array of celebrity portraits with their transphobic quotes, if anyone is interested? Jaded Karen Rowling, Graham Linehan, all the faves! They look a bit like those BitStrips you used to get on Facebook.
Nobody?

Ugh Birdy Rose is younger I think (or certainly trying to look it) I googled her because I wondered if that was Skinny Love Birdy and thankfully not.

There’s a sumptuous array of celebrity portraits with their transphobic quotes, if anyone is interested? Jaded Karen Rowling, Graham Linehan, all the faves! They look a bit like those BitStrips you used to get on Facebook.
Nobody?

She's also an artist with 79 followers on instagram, which tells you all you need to know about the barrel they scraped for these signatories :D

She's also an artist with 79 followers on instagram, which tells you all you need to know about the barrel they scraped for these signatories :D

Fuck's sake, I'VE got more than that.

Disappointed in Armstrong and Miller but not surprised.

I get semi-regular death/rape/other assault threats on social media because that's being trans on the internet in 2020 - you can usually tell when it's been rough because that's when I'll have a non-face profile pic. Rowling has absolutely ramped that up with her entitled, short-sighted narcissistic horseshit. All the dog whistles like wearing a t-shirt from a site that sells transphobic merchandise are completely calculated to generate this effect. She has done every single piece of this on purpose.

All the dog whistles like wearing a t-shirt from a site that sells transphobic merchandise are completely calculated to generate this effect. She has done every single piece of this on purpose.

I missed this, when did she do this?

what a vile site :gross:

I had no idea about that particular facet to this whole sorry affair but FUCK YOU AND FUCK YOU AGAIN, JOANNE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom