Jessie Ware - Free Yourself + That! Feels Good! (album 5)

Lovely playlist, but I'm veering close to actively hating Pearls now. Why is it so grating?

Two words: Stuart Price

I still really like it, but it’s her weakest song since the third album era. I’m still confident based on all the chatter (and that playlist) that we’re still going to get her more mature groovy sound on many of the songs.

If she really does do anything based on a template of Stephanie Mills or Anita Baker, I’m sold.

The video has not helped, and I presume that's all her. I'll wait for the album though, because I love "Free Yourself", though I know that's not all that popular either.

I don't really know about Stuart Price. Confessions is great (though patchier in retrospect), but he didn't do a lot for the Pet Shop Boys.

Stuart Price works in certain situations - his noisy and overproduced sound works fine for Europop artists and albums for instance.

Producing for Jessie Ware just feels jarring.

Will reserve judgement as I loved Free Yourself and hopefully the other two songs he’s done are a bit less of the forced “let’s produce a camp anthem” blueprint and just let Jessie be Jessie.

I like the video though.

I thought Free Yourself was well-received...

I need to delve deeper into the playlist, but you can't go wrong kicking off with Melba.

GWEN :disco:

She clearly loved working on the Kiss Of Life video because the aesthetic (and director) have transferred over.

I liked KOL but I couldn't take 2 videos like that by the same artist.

It is a month away and I don't really feel a lot of anticipation for the album. I think This! Might Be! a bit of a let-down.

Hope Jessus proves me wrong.

Last edited:
I also feel there's zero hype and clearly they expected Pearls to do a lot more. still almost two weeks til the next song is out which feels like ages when this album is just four weeks away. Begin Again has to be a smash.

#2 in the mids, but only a few copies ahead of Nines at #3 and he'll probably pull ahead. 5k behind those lottery NOBODIES!

#2 in the mids, but only a few copies ahead of Nines at #3 and he'll probably pull ahead. 5k behind those lottery NOBODIES!

I really thought she had a shoe-in for #1 this week. Still, top 3 (but no No.1 for J.W)

Last edited:
What are the sales figures? I imagine 5k is relatively a huge lead.

I gave the album another listen yesterday.

I do think it'll sound really good with a glass of white wine in hand in the middle of summer - but on the whole, What's Your Pleasure was definitely more in my wheelhouse in terms of the overall sound.

She’s doing personalised signed copies for those who couldn’t get to a signing. CDs and standard vinyl all sold out but a few picture discs left

I picked up a signed picture disc with personalised message :disco:

album still at 3 today now with 11k sold

it's much closer to the original than I expected! I hardly hear any difference honestly :D

Next week's album chart is going to see some precipitous plunges.

These Lips is having its moment for me currently.

These lips are wanted in a hundred countries, maybe more :disco:

it's much closer to the original than I expected! I hardly hear any difference honestly :D

LOVE.

This turns up the notch just ever so slightly and makes it a bit beefier while turning it into a 7 minute extravaganza at the same time. :disco:

I am going to see her at Alexandra Palace in November :disco: I was very late to the party so I only really known stuff from the current album and the one before. I am going to spotify This is Jessie Ware but are there any tracks I may have missed she's likely to perform to get familiar with?

Next week's album chart is going to see some precipitous plunges.
a lot of the records she signed mid last week weren't counted as they haven't shipped yet, so i don't think this week's fall will be too tragic. should stay top 40 anyway.

I am going to see her at Alexandra Palace in November :disco: I was very late to the party so I only really known stuff from the current album and the one before. I am going to spotify This is Jessie Ware but are there any tracks I may have missed she's likely to perform to get familiar with?
she usually performs Wildest Moments. she might do a couple of earlier singles but I expect a full on dance party focused on WYP? and T!FG!

Definitely check out the first two albums @Halli-Mae - a different experience but with THAT VOICE being the through line. It’s must laid back and sultry but it’s as good as soul-pop gets. Echoes of Sade and Lisa Stansfield and bands like Brand New Heavies

Wildest Moments
Running
If You're Never Gonna Move
Sweet Talk
Kind Of...Sometimes...Maybe
Champagne Kisses (17/10)
Imagine It Was Us
Your Domino
Midnight
Alone

All wonderful.

Great thanks I think I know the most well known ones like Wildest Moments and Champagne Kisses but I'll have a listen to the rest!

how's the album bedding in girls?

obviously the gay banger trio is amazing but right now I'm really all about Begin Again and These Lips. the former is such an intricate EPIC, fun and elegant and strange and sexy. and god bless that 5:24 runtime. and These Lips has been steadily creeping up on me. love the slight sonic shifts, how it becomes a cool early 90s house track at moments (I can't escape the KM94 vibes) and then casually flips back to a brassy funk groove. she's so lucky to have a producer like James Ford on the knobs.

it's also a proper listen front-to-back affair which I so love.

Begin Again, Hello Love, These Lips and Lightning are the songs for me

I do find the high camp songs a bit gimmicky, I do like them but I don’t JessieWareLove them.

It’s a difficult one to categorise because I do think the album is BRILLIANT and yet, not quite the sensational levels I expect.

Still growing though so who knows…

And yes I enjoy the other songs much more in the context of the full album which I think she was going for, and a compliment considering she was working with 2 very different producers. It feels very complete

like this don't love this wish i did... fun! but overcooked!

makes me think of kylie's disco - especially my favourite these two lips though not 100% sold on the chorus lyrics dunno something's a-klunk there but yes it's wonderfully donna summer-esque

the videos have been mostly terrible since spotlight and (like the songs themselves) the cover is several steps down from the glorious what's your pleasure (have to say that title track has been doing a lot for me lately) but i'm glad she's feeling good and having success so good for you jessie ware live long and prosper!

I’ve definitely landed into a divide on the album - the funky dance album tracks which are great but not Jessie Ware levels of great, and the sultry gems which are REALLY great and still growing on me.

Those former tracks work better in the sum of the album though. The album as a whole is a camp pool-bar-and-cocktails experience which I like.

But just the fact that this album gave me Hello Love, These Lips, Lightning… and Free Yourself and Begin Again of course….yes that’s enough for me :disco:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom