Joni Mitchell

chocolat

Human
I'm becoming a bit of a Joni fan after buying "Blue" (why oh why did I wait so long to buy it!) and "Clouds" (picked it up 2 weeks after buying "Blue"). Two albums I have been playing back to back the past month. Those two were not my first Joni purchases though, I bought "Both Sides Now" when I saw her music was used in "Love Actually".

I don't know where to go to now. I love/like those 3 albums and I want to buy more Joni, but where to start? I read on wikipedia her releases from the 80's are not essential, so I won't bother with that right now. What albums would you recommend? On amazon most of her stuff is dead cheap too.

Her string of '70s albums are fabulous - they get a little less immediate as the decade progressed but they are all equally essential. 'Court & Spark' would be my next recommendation followed by 'For The Roses' and 'Hissing Of Summer Lawns'. Once you've got to know them check out 'Hejira' which I'd say is Joni's masterpiece. Once you've got acquainted with Joni I'll get you started with Rickie Lee Jones :angel:

I've always been interested in getting "Hejira", maybe I'll get that together with "Hissing Of The Summer Lawns" then.

I wonder if she'll release a new album with new songs in the near future. She'll be a bit of a Kate Bush if she continues like this!

'Hissing Of Summer Lawns' is my favourite but 'Hejira' runs it close. There's only about 2 albums of hers that aren't worth the £5 you're likely to be charged though - namely Dog Eat Dog and Wild Things Run Fast.

On the subject of new material, I wouldn't hold your breath. Joni is reportedly extremely disillusioned with the current state of the music industry and refuses to partake in it, instead choosing to release alternative, somewhat lavish and more personal renditions of her old material.

Last edited:
The version of 'Both Sides Now' on the album of the same name is one of the most moving things ever.

'Hissing of the Summer Lawns', 'Heijira' & 'Court & Spark' are all being re-released as two disc remasters in the next week or so

Last edited:
chocolat said:
I bought "Hejira" and "Court And Spark" online yesterday :)

How are you finding the Joni albums?

A bit off topic, but if you're enjoying Joni's '70s stuff I'd recommend checking out 'Collection' by Joan Armatrading which is always available at a budget price ( it's a lot of her '70s material ). She's got her own thing going on in a folk-pop-rock kind of way but is every bit as eclectic as Joni. 'Love and Affection' is so unrepresentative of Joan's work :

B000026PQL.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I am enjoying "Hejira" and "Court And Spark" but I haven't listened to both albums much because I am still loving and cherishing "Blue" and "Clouds". I've hardly had the time to chew all the Joni material I bought in a rather short time span.

Thanks for the tip, once I've had enough Joni I will investigate!

VoR said:
The version of 'Both Sides Now' on the album of the same name is one of the most moving things ever.

Too true, especially when taken against her own original. The almost child-like voice is replaced by a devastatingly weary one. I love the contrast of 'A Case Of You' on that album too.

Dandy said:
On the subject of new material, I wouldn't hold your breath. Joni is reportedly extremely disillusioned with the current state of the music industry and refuses to partake in it, instead choosing to release alternative, somewhat lavish and more personal renditions of her old material.

This kind of shit really annoys me. If you don't like the state of the music industry, release your stuff the way you wanna release it.. it's not like Joni';s immediate fanbase won't buy it. Angie Stone has 'retired' apparently because of frustration of te state of the music industry... ridiculous.,

Joni NEWS!

A tribute album is out on April 24th featuring Prince, Bjork, Sufjan Stevens, Emmylou Harris, Sarah McLachlan.

Joni herself has recorded enough songs for an album to be called Strange Birds of Appetite or If, and is also at work on a ballet featuring her music.

From Pitchfork.

I hear JANICE JACKSON's version of `The Beat Of Black Wings' will NOT be included

*sounds of feverish celebrations* :rusty2:

Janice's `Got Til It's Gone' was enough to make ANYONE disillusioned with the music industry. Although if Joni's judgement led her to think that THAT was a GOOD IDEA, then perhaps it's JUST AS WELL she's RETIRED :su2:

Joni Mitchell never :lies:

Still, GTIG is a masterpiece compared to what she did to CARLY's chesnut - and worse still, she was complicit in it!

I can't believe Joni called Madonna manufactured when she green-lighted the uber PLASTIC Janet Hackson's sample. :gross:

I loved the old hag's comment to a gushing Neil Tennant though when he met her [Neil] "I love your songs".. [Joni] "I love your videos". :su:

Joni is a bit of a cunt isn't she? Nevertheless. Join me as I cite my top 5 LP's and top 10 songs by the menopausal one..

Top 5 albums
1. Blue
2. Hejira
3. Court and Spark
4. The Hissing of Summer Lawns
5. Both Sides Now

Top 10 songs
1. "Amelia"
2. "Help Me"
3. "River"
4. "Woodstock"
5. "Free Man in Paris"
6. "A Case of You"
7. "Both Sides Now"
8. "Don't Interrupt the Sorrow"
9. "Blue"
10. "Come in From the Rain"

God, that was difficult.

Oh I do love `Free Man In Paris'

I was BROUGHT UP on `Court And Spark' and `Ladies Of The Canyon' but I never realised quite how good that particular song was until my recent Joni REVIVAL

Raised On Robbery is one of my favourites. Even inspired a sig of mine for a while.

She has so many greats. I was listening to 'Chinese Cafe/Unchained Melody' the other day, one that had previously kind of drifted over me, and it just clicked. Amazing.

Buddha said:
She has so many greats. I was listening to 'Chinese Cafe/Unchained Melody' the other day, one that had previously kind of drifted over me, and it just clicked. Amazing.

I've long been a fan of that one!

Joni's got a new album coming out next month called 'Shine'. It's on the Starbucks label. I'll have to go in for a hot chocolate on release day.

Joni Mitchell signs with Starbucks for 2-album deal

Last Updated: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 | 9:56 AM ET
CBC Arts
Canadian singer-songwriter Joni Mitchell will release her next album through Starbucks' new record label, the second artist to sign with the coffee chain after Paul McCartney.

Mitchell will release Shine, an album for which she has written nine of the 10 tracks, with Hear Music on Sept. 25.

Joni Mitchell reacts as she is inducted into the Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame in Toronto in January. She has written new work that will be released through Starbucks' label.
(Aaron Harris/Canadian Press) It is her first album of new compositions since 1998. She said it is "as serious a work as I've ever done."

Mitchell has signed a two-album deal with Hear Music.

McCartney's album Memory Almost Full came out in June with the label, set up in a partnership between Starbucks Corp. and Concord Music Group.

Memory Almost Full was played relentlessly at Starbucks franchises and has sold 447,000 copies, 45 per cent of them in Starbucks stores.

Continue Article

For veteran artists, the new label offers a chance to reach consumers while they stand in line waiting for a coffee.

Mitchell expressed her discontent with the music industry in a 2002 interview with Rolling Stone, saying she couldn't recall what she liked about music.

Albums she released in the early part of the century, Both Sides Now, recorded in 2000, 2002's Travelogue and 2003's four-box set, The Complete Geffen Recordings, had no new compositions.

Ken Lombard, president of Starbucks Entertainment, said Mitchell's interest in recording was rekindled when she worked with Hear Music two years ago to release a disc of her songs selected by various artists.

Earlier this year, Mitchell had creative input into The Fiddle and the Drum, a ballet with choreographer Jean Grand-Maître that debuted in Calgary.

Tribute album
Two songs from The Fiddle and the Drum — If, based on Mitchell's favourite poem by Rudyard Kipling, and If I Had a Heart — are recorded in Shine. A new version of Big Yellow Taxi also will be included.

Mitchell, 63, is also planning an exhibit of her paintings in New York this fall.

Herbie Hancock is working on a tribute album to Mitchell, titled In My Solitude, with various artists, including Norah Jones and Tina Turner, covering her songs.

Mitchell, who began her career as a folk music icon before branching out into jazz and pop, was inducted into the Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame in January. She has been a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame since 1997.

An yone else gonna be buying her new one next week? I think I'll give it a go - long time since someone released a really good singer-songwriter album, so I'm in need of some even if it's rubbish.

I want to hear some of the tracks first but in strikes me that releasing on the Starbucks label just seems weirdly out of place when compared to her previous stance against how music and labels are developing.

I fail to feel warm about post-70's Joni.... Both Sides Now was quite good though.

Oh I might have to hunt that one down then. I'm sure I read a review that said it was mostly just an attempt to justify her dodgy 80s material.

Well, yes you could say that. Better bear in mind I am the only person in the world to think that `Dog Eat Dog' is anything but a DOG of an album

I'm well into our Joni lately. Slowly collecting all her classic era albums. So far I have

Ladies Of The Canyon
Blue
For The Roses
Court & Spark
The Hissing of Summer Lawns
Hejira
Mingus
Hits
Both Sides Now

The Hissing Of Summer Lawns and Hejira are AMAZING.

I'm also reading this book, which is a bit muso-techy in bits, but very interesting.

joni.jpg

Top 10 songs
1. "Amelia"
Gosh, I thought it was just me. How very pleasing - I love this track so, so much. The whole of Hejira is without a doubt my favourite Joni album anyway but this track in particular sealed the deal for me. Amazing stuff.

The Hissing Of Summer Lawns and Hejira are AMAZING.
I've had Hissing for yonks now but it's never clicked completely. I know it will come eventually, I just need to spend more time with it. Time for another spin this morning.

I'm up to 15 Joni albums now, with most of the classic 70s stuff, the recent albums plus a smattering of the difficult 80s stuff and the MORish late-80s stuff.

- Blue
- Both Sides Now
- Chalkmark In A Rainstorm
- Clouds
- Court And Spark
- Dog Eat Dog
- For The Roses
- Hejira
- The Hissing Of Summer Lawns
- Ladies Of The Canyon
- Night Ride Home
- Shine
- Songs Of A Prairie Girl
- Turbulent Indigo
- Wild Things Run Fast

Last edited:
Oh Amelia is definitely in my top 5 too. It's absolutely beautiful. The lyrics just SLAY me. :(

People will tell you where they've gone
They'll tell you where to go
But till you get there yourself you never really know
Where some have found their paradise
Other's just come to harm
Oh, Amelia it was just a false alarm

I wish that he was here tonight
It's so hard to obey
His sad request of me to kindly stay away
So this is how I hide the hurt
As the road leads cursed and charmed
I tell Amelia it was just a false alarm

A ghost of aviation
She was swallowed by the sky
Or by the sea like me she had a dream to fly
Like Icarus ascending
On beautiful foolish arms
Amelia it was just a false alarm

*dies*

Last edited:
VoR, did you hear the demos?

I am revisiting Travelogue. a Joni essential if you ask me

Oh, AMELIA
It was just a FALSE alarm.
:(

You know what they say, "Y'ALL", Joni Mitchell never lies! :manson:

Seriously though, obviously I still love and adore the majority of this woman's musical output. Even Shine from a couple of years ago really wasn't all that bad.

That book certainly seems interesting, I may invest.

I'm dipping my toes into the dodgy '80s Mitchell output. I have everything from the 70's, '90s and '00s. I'm starting out with 'Wild Things Run Fast'. All her stuff is temptingly cheap on amazon so i'll probably end up with her full catalogue by the end of the year.

Last edited:
Hissing is my fave Joni album, but I'm not that familiar with her other albums other than Blue and C&S. I should probably check them about if this thread is anything to go by! Apart from the usual suspects, I adore 'The Boho Dance', which is, in my mind, one of the most interesting songs ever written about the creation process and art in general. I spent many nights analysing it in my mind :daf: Maybe Bjork should have done the same before she covered it :gross:

The streets were never really mine
Not mine these glamour gowns
:shy:

I'm investigating her 90s critical revival stuff at the moment. Turbulent Indigo was hailed as a big return to form, but I actually prefer the followup 'Taming The Tiger'. The former is a bit MOR in parts, wheras I tend to prefer her jazzier stuff.

Sex Kills is GREAT, though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom