Joni Mitchell

my two favourite joni albums are "song to a seagull" and "turbulent indigo". i would list mingus as on the same level but i wish it had more (upbeat) songs on it. sex kills is awesome. lead balloon might be better. especially because of how petulant and ghetto she sounds when she's like "an angry man is jusst an. angry maaaan. but an angry woman - biiiiitch". other than that, "taming the tiger" is really disappointing for me. the synthesizer she put her guitar through starts to grate when every song after the first few tracks when it's basically stripped down to that, her voice and maybe a saxophone.

back onto "turbulent indigo", it's funny that it was hailed as a return to form because it actually had a very similar sound to the album that preceeded it by 3 years. "night ride home" has my favourite joni song ever on it. i figured shine would sound kind of like those albums. and it did. but in a really depressing, chastising synthesized orchestra way. ew. i hope she does another one soon, and i hope it's really good. i wouldn't hate her at all if she did another covers record.

A quick impromptu Joni top 10:

1. Woodstock
2. Urge For Going
3. Little Green - one of the saddest songs ever written :(
4. Both Sides Now
5. I Had A King - :(
6. A Case Of You
7. Raised On Robbery
8. Morning Morgantown
9. California
10. Passion Play (When All The Slaves Are Free)

Poor River, Coart and Spark, The Circle Game, Rainy Night House, The Arrangement etc etc.
And yes, Amelia could do with an edit.

If I ever were to slit my wrists I'd make sure the Both Sides Now orchestral album is playing in the background.

Just how heartbreaking is 'I Had a King'?

I had a king in a tenement castle
Lately he's taken to painting the pastel walls brown
He's taken the curtains down
He's swept with the broom of contempt
And the rooms have an empty ring
He's cleaned with the tears
Of an actor who fears for the laughter's sting-

I can't go back there anymore
You know my keys won't fit the door
You know my thoughts don't fit the man
They never can, they never can

There's no one to blame
No there's no one to name as a traitor here
The king's on the road
And the queen's in the grove till the end of the year.

i had a king has some of her most direct yet poetic lines. the whole first album is a minefield of them.

my provoked impromptu top 10 would include:

1. two grey rooms
2. the priest
3. judgement of the moon and stars (ludwig's tune)
4. cactus tree
5. not to blame
6. be cool
7. the arrangment
8. a chair in the sky
9. the boho dance
10. the three great stimulants

I am listening to the demos for The Hissing of Summer Lawns right now. it's beautiful. just Joni and her guitar

who was it that made a cover of Ladies of the Canyon? Annie Lennox? loved that one

I really need to investigate Joni further - and have been meaning to for years. I have "Blue" and "Clouds" which are actually two of my favourite albums EVER. Other than that, I only have "Shine" and "Dreamland". Where should I go next?

I know it's much maligned and maybe it's a MIDDLE AGE thing but I've been much enjoying DOG EAT DOG recently

And we call for the THREE GREAT STIMULANTS
Of the EXHAUSTED ONES:
ARTIFICE, BRUTALITY and INNOCENCE
ARTIFICE and INNOCENCE

I really need to investigate Joni further - and have been meaning to for years. I have "Blue" and "Clouds" which are actually two of my favourite albums EVER. Other than that, I only have "Shine" and "Dreamland". Where should I go next?
The obvious ones are the amazing 70s era ones. Court & Spark, For The Roses, The Hissing Of Summer Lawns and Hejira. Hopefully you’ve heard them by now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom