Kate Bush Deep Cuts playlist sync

The "Sugar honey treacle" line was the last line of the last album track for 12 years, and there's something about that that really gives me the feels.

19. Get Out Of My House
The Dreaming, 1982

"This house is as old as I am, this house knows all I have done"

Inspired by The Shining, this is the story of a haunted house determined to destroy its inhabitant. Demons hover at every door and Kate can scrub the floor as much as she likes but she can't remove the awful stains. In an act of defiance, Kate turns directly to the spirit and tries to ward it off - "Get out of my house!" - but to little avail. Cornered by evil and madness, she brays at the spirit like a mule - it just brays back. Kate at her experimental finest.

hqdefault.jpg

19. Get Out Of My House
The Dreaming, 1982

"This house is as old as I am, this house knows all I have done"

Inspired by The Shining, this is the story of a haunted house determined to destroy its inhabitant. Demons hover at every door and Kate can scrub the floor as much as she likes but she can't remove the awful stains. In an act of defiance, Kate turns directly to the spirit and tries to ward it off - "Get out of my house!" - but to little avail. Cornered by evil and madness, she brays at the spirit like a mule - it just brays back. Kate at her experimental finest.

hqdefault.jpg
This is the song I sing to @Gangsta Nancy Lam

Oh fuck yes!

Get Out Of My House is pure art, a horror film made into a 5 minute song, and really who better to convey that than dear old Kate with THAT voice? She does everything possible with her vocals in this!

The moment later where she does a long woooon't let you iiiiinnn as the song shifts to the final phase (I'm no musicologist alright) is one of the best things I've ever heard btw

But even with all the creativity here, the melody, the HOOK, is one of her absolute finest. The "I will not let you in" bits, and then the sounds of an actual exorcism or something. This is one of the best songs ever made

20. The Kick Inside
The Kick Inside, 1978

"I'll send your love to Zeus, oh by the time you read this I'll be well in touch"

A little incest, anyone? A brother and sister fall in love and she falls pregnant. Knowing they will be shunned by society, she is about to kill herself in order to protect her brother. As children, they were intrigued by mythology ("You and me on the bobbing knee, didn't we cry at that old mythology he'd read?") - now it's time for her to meet Zeus in the afterlife. This is the note she leaves her brother.

kbg6.gif

Reactions: COB
Kick Inside is loveliness of course. Although I'm sure it's about the melancholy rape of a witch or something.

21. Somewhere In Between
Aerial, 2005

"Oh how we have longed for something that would make us feel so..."

An ode to the spaces in between, the vacuum between this and that. Both the lyrics and production are majestic, and for me it's five minutes of beautiful meditative reflection.

Kate-Bush.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom