Meat Loaf DEAD

RIP Spice bus driver :(

meat-loaf-spice-world.jpg

Oh I’m so sad. I have very fond memories of being a child and driving around with my family all singing along to the bat out of hell album

Oh I’m so sad. I have very fond memories of being a child and driving around with my family all singing along to the bat out of hell album

He'd been on my list for a while as he looked very ill last time I saw him and he didn't turn up for any or many of the press for the Bat Out of Hell musical, yet Jim Steinman (RIP 2021) did.

RIP Meat Loaf.

It's Nut Roast's time to shine.

Once had a taped VHS of Top Of The Pops wrestled away from me as a child and hidden away because I wouldn’t stop playing “I Would Do Anything For Love”. RIP legend x

Not a major shock, he had seemed unwell for a long time, but I'm still sad :(

There have been times in my life where I have been UNABLE to listen to anything but Meat Loaf for extended periods of time, his music is like entering an extensive fantasy world Jim Steinman had built but couldn't fully realise by himself (due to lack of vocal talent), so he had to get Meat in to bring it to life

All that plus Rocky Horror, the non-Steinman albums of varying quality, Spice World, Fight Club, the Celebrity Apprentice meltdown, the shamelessly overblown stage persona, the ropey latter-day performances... what a ridiculous character and total legend

I hope he and Jim are already arguing in the afterlife :disco:

I haven't really kept up with his later releases but the best of from the late nineties has so many classics. You Took The Words Right Out of My Mouth in particular hits that wall of sound spot.

Meat Loaf Top 5:
1. Rock and Roll Dreams Come Through
2. I’d Lie For You (And That’s The Truth)
3. I’d Do Anything For Love (But I Won’t Do That)
4. Not a Dry Eye In The House
5. Is Nothing Sacred?

I was more Bat Out Of Hell Part 2 than part one, purely because it was so big when I was a kid. It has plenty of competition in his back catalogue, but Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back is easily one of the most ludicrous pieces of music I’ve ever heard in my life.

Once had a taped VHS of Top Of The Pops wrestled away from me as a child and hidden away because I wouldn’t stop playing “I Would Do Anything For Love”. RIP legend x
Oh my God, I had very similar - I made my parents play the cassette on repeat for an entire car trip to France. AGAIN!

1. I Would Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)
2. I'd Lie For You (And That's The Truth)
3. I Couldn't Have Said It Better
4. Did I Say That?
5. Objects In The Rear View Mirror

Basically the same song 5 times but I don't CARE.

Can’t say I’m overly familiar with his oeuvre but I Would Do Anything For Love (But I Won’t Do That) was one of those colossal 90s megahits which is difficult to get, not everybody has that to their credit. RIP.

1. I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)
2. Paradise By The Dashboard Light
3. Objects In The Rear View Mirror May Appear Closer Than They Are
4. Whatever Happened To Saturday Night? (Hot Patootie/Bless My Soul)
5. Bat Out Of Hell
6. Dead Ringer For Love
7. Rock And Roll Dreams Come Through
8. Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back
9. You Took The Words Right Out Of My Mouth
10. Blind As A Bat

Imagine having a track as perfect/epic/emotional as Objects In The Rear View Mirror in your catalogue, and it's still only your third best song

I have a soft spot for the original Bat Out Of Hell because my brother played it constantly for a while when we were kids. The actual song itself was quietly fascinating to me because of its boldness and ambition and only a stone wouldn't feel something when almost everything drops away and he sings "then like a sinner before the gates of heaven, I'll come rolling on back to you". RIP.

Impromptu Top 5

1. Two Out of Three Ain’t Bad
2. I’d Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)
3. You Took The Words Right Out of My Mouth
4. Dead Ringer For Love
5. Life Is a Lemon and I Want My Money Back

That's sad news, for all that he hasn't seemed well for quite a while.

Top 10

1. Paradise By The Dashboard Light
2. Bat Out Of Hell
3. Rock and Roll Dreams Come Through
4. Not A Dry Eye In The House
5. I'd Lie For You (And That's The Truth)
6. Good Girls Go To Heaven (Bad Girls Go Everywhere)
7. Dead Ringer For Love
8. Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad
9. I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)
10. It Just Won't Quit

:(

Dead Ringer For Love is his crowning glory for me. Unabashed rock camp delivered at a ridiculous tempo :disco:

Though the full whammy of the three parts of Paradise By The Dashboard Light is almost as ludicrously glorious.

I just read about his connection to ”It’s All Coming Back to Me Now”. I had no idea Celine’s version was a cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom