Melodifestivalen 2023: Deltävling 3 - Lidköping

VoR

Take it or leave it
So on Saturday the Swedish public selected their Anders Bagge for the year, and gays of a certain vintage reached the sobering conclusion that the upstart popstrells who effectively replaced our beloved Schlager divas are now themselves being consigned to the glue factory. The circle of life is a cruel, cruel mistress…

Let’s see who'll be raising our collective blood pressure this week, shall we?

1. Paul Rey - Royals
1599px-Paul_Rey_2023.jpg

LIAMOO, Dino Medanhodzic, Paul Rey och Jimmy "Joker" Thörnfeldt

I already gave the title of Sweden's most boring repeat Melfest star to Victor Crone back in week one, but really I should have thought ahead.

'Paul Rey' has allegedly had two songs reach the finals in the past five years, but you could put a gun to my head and I still couldn't hum either one of them. I have a dim memory that the last one was about his child, which never bodes well.

However, he did co-pen Cazzi Opeia's I Can't Get Enough last year, and apparently he's promising an uptempo banger this time around. Given it's co-penned by LIAMOO I'm more primed for Bluffin' part 2 than an unexpected slice of rainbow schlager, but however it sits, the only way is up with this one...

2. Casanovas - Så kommer känslorna tillbaka
1495px-Casanovas_2_2023.jpg

Mikael Karlsson och Henrik Sethsson

Serving more 'friendly neighbourhood darts team' than 'famed Italian lothario', the Casanovas are part of that seemingly deathless Swedish tradition, the Dansband.

Essentially schlager but filtered through male vocals and rockabilly instead of synths and chiffon, it's an enjoyable enough diversion that almost always crops up in some capacity and usually does quite well.

Reasons for optimism - this one was co-penned by Henrik Sethsson, who was last seen in 2011 with Jenny Silver's Something In Your Eyes. Another Lisa Scott-Lee worthy stomper of that vintage is probably too much to ask for here, but it’s enough to hope that this won't be an entirely offensive showing.

3. Melanie Wehbe - For The Show
1600px-Melanie_Wehbe_2023.jpg

Herman Gardarfve, David Lindgren Zacharias och Melanie Wehbe

As a songwriter, Melanie Wehbe's Melfest contributions have ranged from the sublime (Move by The Mamas, Lina Hedlund's Victorious) to the forgettable (last year's sacrificial twink Angelino). She describes her style as 'emotional pop' - as opposed to sociopathic pop I guess - and she's making her debut a week before the return of her former girlfriend Mariette, who recently got married and had a baby.

Is this going to be an Alanis Morissette-esque fuck you to her seemingly happier ex? Again, probably not, but co-writer David Lindgren (not that one)'s biggest successes so far have included Clara Klingenström and Lisa Miskovsky's recent entries, so that's probably the sort of vibe you can expect here.

(David also co-wrote Sonja Aldén's Sluta Aldrig Går, and if Melanie wants to make like Sonja and end this performance by transfiguring into the risen Christ, I strongly encourage her to follow that impulse.)

4. Nordman - Släpp alla sorger
1599px-Nordman_2023.jpg

Thomas G:son och Jimmy Jansson

Not to age/body shame but on the evidence of the picture above, the current toxic viral trend that is 'Twink death' hit Mr Nordman like a ton of bricks since the salad days of their debut album cover.

ab67616d0000b273a28333f32dcb8dbb3aebf494

It comes to us all, love. :(

Anyway, last seen casting insane zealot/schlager icon Carola into the fiery pits of hell back in 2008, Nordman's general sound is an intriguing mix of gruff folk-rock and bouncy Nordic folk. Their 2005 Melfest debut was a boot, but I unashamedly love the aforementioned I lågornas sken from 2008, which is essentially just a Sarek song as performed by a man whose vocal chords are entirely made up of fused together cigarette butts.

They've experienced a big revival in the past year, thanks to a well received turn on Swedish reality show Så mycket bättre, and the initial buzz around this entry was that it was a potential winner. That's probably a bit too pie in the sky, but with G:son in the mix there's plentiful reason for optimism here.

5. Laurell - Sober
1600px-Laurell_Barker_2023.jpg

Anderz Wrethov, Andreas Stone Johansson, Laurell Barker, Thomas Stengaard

Canadians have experienced mixed fortunes on the Eurovision stage, from the career-making victory of Celine Dion in 1988 to future astronaut(!) Rykka and her infamous drinking-bird inspired choreography in 2016.

Hoping to land somewhere in the middle of those poles is jobbing songwriter Laurell Barker, who may be a familiar name - if not face - to Eurovision watchers due to her Ylva & Linda-esque omnipresence at the various songwriting camps that take place every year.

In her defence, she has actually managed to get to Eurovision on five separate occasions, most notably in 2019 when she had credits on Switzerland's fortune reviving banger She Got Me, and the bottom two entries that year from Germany and the United Kingdom. Range!

She recently enjoyed a bona-fide continental hit of her own with the not-bad Habit, and having been long resident in Malmö, she's finally parlayed that success into a headline slot at Melfest. Whether she's got the stage presence to back up her ability to find creative new opportunities to rhyme rain with pain remains to be seen, but she's also on the credits for Maria Sur's recent finalist, so even if this bricks she can probably anticipate a healthy payday this year.

6. Ida Lova - Låt Hela Stan Se På
1600px-Ida-Lova_2023.jpg

Andreas ”Giri” Lindbergh, Ida-Lova Lind, Joy Deb, Linnea Deb

Arriving to sweep the shrivelled corpses of ancient hags such as Lisa Ajax and Wiktoria off the stage for good, 18 year old Ida Lova is an up and coming singer-songwriter who just released her debut EP to modest success last year. Based on a quick skim of that, her style is emotive pop in a Clara Klingenström sort of vein, so presumably they'll be hoping to reap similar rewards here.

The presence of one half of the once-reliable Debs should hopefully keep the tempo from slipping into 'deathly', but it's all been a bit hit-or-miss for that lot since the divorce, so as with their child support filing, the jury remains firmly out.

7. Marcus & Martinus - Air
1599px-Marcus_och_Martinus_2023.jpg

(Jimmy “Joker” Thörnfeldt, Joy Deb, Linnea Deb, Marcus Gunnarsen, Martinus Gunnarsen)

Scandinavia's answer to Jedward, twink twins Marcus & Martinus are chart topping sensations in their native Norway, so it's a mild surprise to see them crossing the aisle and making their first Eurovision foray for neighbouring Sweden.

They have had some success on these shores though, and their bouncy single Elektrisk clocked up over a year on the Swedish charts back in 2016. Party music is kind of their brand, so I'd hope this will at least bring the semi to a rousing close.

Also, for those who will inevitably be wondering, yes they're both 21 now so it's FINE.

Last edited:
:D :o at Nordman's TWINK ROT and :disco: at the calls for FOUR FOOT MEL to make like SANTA SONJA. And is it me, or is one of Casanovas DISTINCTLY about 2-3 decades younger than all the rest?

Also, Rykka went into SPACE?!

Firmly of the view that, as is historical writ, heat three will be WHERE IT IS AT and be much better value than is currently anticipated. Obviously it's looking like this year probably won't be great shakes (which is fine - Melfest is kind of due a dud year, it hasn't really had one since 2018), but if there's going to be a late comeback it'll start here

God the more I look at that Nordman picture the more I see a harrowing vision of Marcus & Martinus at 40

• Haha
Reactions: VoR
Also, Rykka went into SPACE?!
I don’t…think so. I think it might have been some sort of art project/promo which got abandoned halfway through after it didn’t catch on. I can’t find any mention of the mission after July 2022 so if it is real then I think they might have left her up there.

Also, the CGI in the launch video would disgrace ‘Escape From Jupiter’ and their space suits have less integrity than the one Kylie wore in the ‘Put Yourself In My Place’ video.

Paul Rey - Royals
BPM: 151

Classic opener to a #melfest heat. Perfect for getting the crowd clapping along. Can hear a radio hit in this. Ending sounds a bit messy, trying to be anthemic.

Sounds like: Take Our Hearts (Denmark MGP 2013?) had a club remix. Or David Lindgren

Casanovas - Så kommer känslorna tillbaka
BPM: 142

Singing along to this by the first chorus, exactly what we want from a #melfest entry! Lovely melody to this and yes, one whopper of a KEY CHANGE!

Sounds like: A dansband classic - this is Arvingarna/Barbados style at its best!

Melanie Wehbe - For the show
BPM: 78

#melfest pop ballad. I love the bass line in this, and a catchy "doing, doing, doing" hook in the chorus. Not special per se but some actual competent songwriting/artistry

Sounds like: If Bulletproof was stripped back for Patrik Jean

Nordman - Släpp alla sorger
BPM: 119

Clear Nordman medieval sounds reminds of #melfest 2008. Instrumental has a jig feel - another KEY CHANGE... Catchy with a subtle darkness to it that other 'viking schlagers' don't

Sounds like: The fathers of Timoteij at midsummer

Laurell - Sober
BPM: 118

I've been speechless for two minutes thirty at this 43 year old trying desperately to sounds like a 23 year old. And then comes ANOTHER BLOODY KEY CHANGE.

Sounds like: Margaret was offered to come back to #melfest and said no

Ida-Lova - Låt hela stan se på
BPM: 78

I love this Swedish ballads. Such a classic feel to this and some lovely lyrics I picked out. Trying not to think about competitiveness but a breathe of fresh air after all before in this #melfest heat

Sounds like: Stjärnorna (Sweden 1994)

Marcus & Martinus - Air
BPM: 120

Definite radio hit here. Takes a while to get there but when the beat drops it works very well. Such a competent piece of writing.

Sounds like: What Liamoo had with Bluffin' at #melfest 2022 but for rooftop bars rather than the nightclub

Ben's Predictions
Have to assume M&M go direkt to Friends, and feel the heat was set up for that. When they do, not an obvious kid friendly track to take their votes for second place. Paul Rey? Or will Casanovas/Nordman take enough 12s from the oldies? Or one of the ballads sneak a run? Tight

Sober risks disqualification unless lyrics are changed
Crisis meeting at SVT after Aftonbladet started asking questions: The Mello song must be rewritten - before Saturday
kg.jpg

Alcohol advertising and branding is not allowed in Melodifestivalen's songs. The new big boss Anders Wistbacka doesn't seem as particular as preceding executives, nevertheless it is Karin who is ultimately responsible for song selection. The official lyrics has been retracted from all official SVT sources but can still be found online.

The lyrics contains references to both sparkling wine brand Champagne and the vodka brand Grey Goose :D

Lyrics: Sober
(Writers: Anderz Wrethov, Andreas Stone Johansson, Laurell Barker, Thomas Stengaard)

Work 2 jobs: 9 to 55 to 10 then I close my eyes
And realize

Oh my god I need a life

Friday comes switching gear

In a club where I just can’t hear

Then you appear

With your smoky atmosphere

I was bouncin’ with my homies

Twistin’ up the rollies

Linin’ up the Grey Goose yeah

I ain’t even started drinkin’

I’m already trippin’

On ya

I’m la la lightin’ up here like

I’m gonna go all night

Floatin’ on Champagne skies

I’m hi-hi-high

when I’m sober

Feel so fly

No gummy got that vibe

Oh you the reason why

I’m hi-hi-high

when I’m sober

High when I’m sober

I’m hi-igh

When I’m sober

Feel so fly

No gummy got that vibe

Oh you the reason why

I’m hi-hi-high

when I’m sober

Sippin’ on all that love

Thirsty but I don’t need no drug

You got a buzz

And I – and I can’t get enough

Sign me up, double A

Goin’ straight edge baby you make me

Hallucinate

Nah the hooch can’t top ya babe

Twistin’ up the rollies

Linin’ up the grey goose yeah

I’m already trippin’

On ya

I’m gonna go all night

I’m hi-hi-high when I’m sober

Feel so fly

No gummy got that vibe

Oh you the reason why

High when I’m sober

I’m hi-igh

When I’m sober

Feel so fly

No gummy got that vibe

Oh you the reason why

Sober, sober

(You get me high)

When I’m sober, sober

(You get me so high)

Sober, sober

(Oh-oh you get me so high when I’m sober)

I’m gonna go all night

I’m gonna go all night

Floatin’ on
Champagne skies

Feel so fly

No gummy got that vibe

Oh you the reason why

Sober, sober

(You get me high)

Oh you the reason why

Last edited:
I might actually bother watching this DV if VIKING SCHLAGER courtesy of G:son is on its way. Also a big fat :disco: regarding "the fathers of Timoteij at midsummer"!

• Love
Reactions: Hak
If she's not arsed I guess they could go with just bleeping the prohibited stuff.

Last edited:
She doesn't strike me as someone who spends too long fretting over lyrics.
Twistin’ up the rollies
Linin’ up the Grey Goose yeah
I’m already trippin’
On ya

I’m gonna go all night
I’m hi-hi-high
when I’m sober
Feel so fly
No gummy got that vibe
:hostage:

Sober: Props & Effects
Theme: phychedelic, playful, fun, edgy
  • 4 husdansare with mascot heads (Lisa Arnold, Lamin Camara Holmén, Kenny Lantz och Kim Pastor)
  • 3 walls with different patterns/materials
  • 2 furred cubes
  • LED screen: psychedelic patterns
  • Neon fluorescent tubes and pulsating patterns over black surfaces

Sober: Props & Effects
Theme: phychedelic, playful, fun, edgy
  • 4 husdansare with mascot heads (Lisa Arnold, Lamin Camara Holmén, Kenny Lantz och Kim Pastor)
  • 3 walls with different patterns/materials
  • 2 furred cubes
  • LED screen: psychedelic patterns
  • Neon fluorescent tubes and pulsating patterns over black surfaces

MASCOT HEADS? Is Laurell entering her FURRY era?!

Who care if she has to change some of the lyrics, I'm still going to spend the week in Liverpool living off of Grey Goose in the honour of our Swedish representative

1. Paul Rey - Royals - Allegations of a banger are, unsurprisingly, entirely unfounded. This reminds me of that Robin Bengtsson song from last year, in that it's completely anonymous and lacking in any actual sense of fun.

2. Casanovas - Så kommer känslorna tillbaka - Any number of schlager crones would have given their left flap to have a go at this chorus. Sadly, the theme of 2023 is women not getting interesting songs under any circumstances, so Casanovas were graced with it instead.

3. Melanie Wehbe - For The Show - DULL. The women this year really have been fucked over. I've listened to this three times now and have no idea how it goes.

4. Nordman - Släpp alla sorger - And slapp it does :disco: Timoteij and Rasmussen filtered through a Macmillan care home, with a whiff of The Roop thrown in.

5, Laurell - Sober - The best female song of the week, which is saying literally nothing. The vocal is destined to be a car crash, but at least there's a pulse.

6. Ida Lova - Låt Hela Stan Se På - Another young artist pissed against the wall with an uninspired ballad. Melodifestivalen, please get better at this.

7. Marcus & Martinus - Air - The ButterTart Fellowship tune of the week. and the reason @Jacques was found unresponsive this morning with clear signs of a struggle. Love it.

1. Paul Rey - Royals - How can a 1 minute clip feel like it drags like this!?

2. Casanovas - Så kommer känslorna tillbaka - I entirely agree with Butters. This needs a ropey middle aged woman deployed on the chorus immediately.

3. Melanie Wehbe - For The Show - I couldn't pay attention to this sufficiently to form an opinion on it. Like a fart, without even having the decency to have an interesting smell.

4. Nordman - Släpp alla sorger - I really really hope the middle 8 and final chorus of this gets a Viking Choir, it is EXACTLY what it needs.

5, Laurell - Sober - I however, will not be by this point in the evening. Which is thankful, as I'll need to be drunk to cope with that affected accent.

6. Ida Lova - Låt Hela Stan Se På - No.

7. Marcus & Martinus - Air - I don't care if this is objectively the best song this heat. There have been too many twinks this national final season, and I refuse to support more.

Last edited:
Linda could have done so much with that Casanovas song, such as jumping around and failing to qualify. Why are they withholding their sexy schlager hooks from women who need them to live?

M&M song is :disco:
It's like they sat down with their songwriters in 2013 - to write a follow up single to Euphoria :D

and SUCCEEDED :disco:

I can't think of a single occasion when Queen Loreen HASN'T brought it so I assume she WILL, even if the sadistic Swedes are making us wait until the very end. Even that ghastly musical theatre interpretation of Bergman at a town hall which was dished up to accompany Statements had an appeal of sorts (and the song itself was of course fantastic - thanks for fucking that one up, Lo)

Someone pop a note through to SVT saying that we want Anna Book (or Petra Nielsen :disco:) dollied up as Mae West and singing a Så nära rewrite next year please

I'm not even taking to Nordman based on the snippet :(

So let's have this for the thousandth time to cheer the thread up :disco:

ACHTUNG SWEDISH SPEAKERS

What exactly is the male presenter saying to G:son at the beginning to cause EYES AND LOOKS or is King G's expression informed by I HAVE A VERY CLEAR IDEA OF THE SHIT THAT'S COMING UP NEXT :disco:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom