Melodifestivalen 2024: Deltävling One (Malmö) - 7pm Tonight!

VoR

Take it or leave it
To be honest folks I don't think I have the time or the pool of references to do extensive witty write-ups in this decidedly post-schlager Melfest era. If anyone else wants to do the honours I'll happily edit them in. But here's the thread anyway.

1. Adam Woods - Supernatural
Adam Woods, Calle Hellberg, Jonna Hall, William Segerdahl
adam-woods-melodifestivalen-2024.jpg

Last seen doing the non-joiking bits on Jon Henrik Fjällgren's entry last year. I'll give 100SEK to the first poster who can hum that one without a memory aid*.

*not legally binding

2. Samir & Viktor - Hela världen väntar
David Kreuger, Fredrik Kempe, Niklas Carson Mattsson
img_4196-1-scaled.jpg

The reliable good time boys of Melfest's '10s era, this is actually their first time back in six years(!). How time flies. The artistic growth is likely to be as minimal as their carb intake over the past 3 months to get those Bada Nakna bods stage-ready. It's only going to get harder from here on in, lads...

3. Melina Borglowe - Min Melodi
Andreas Mattsson, Melina Borglowe, Thomas G:son
Melina.jpg

The styling + a brief dip into her back cat suggests this is likely to be a 'that's nice dear' acoustic moment with minimal prospects of success. But with G:son on the credits, it's possible she could deliver another Clara Klingenström moment.

4. Elisa Lindström - Forever Yours
Elisa Lindström, Erik Bernholm, Henric Axelsson, Henrik Sethsson, Thomas G:son
image.php

The Ramona Singer-eyed perrennial Melfest punching bag returns in her spiritual role as the Heat One Sacrificial Schlager Lamb. She's promising pyro and energy this time around. She'll either finally nab some glory or burn the whole place down, Carrie style. My money's on the latter.

5. Lisa Ajax - Awful Liar
David Lindgren Zacharias, Sebastian Atas, Victor Crone, Victor Sjöström
F9oeEIrWkAEaJAe

Her 2022 entry with Niello may have stiffed in the semi, but it went on to enjoy big streaming success, ergo deadpan diva Lise is back for another crack at the whip. I believe she's currently quite heavily pregnant, so there's a slim but non-zero chance of a Katie Price esque spectacle. Roll out the chaise longue and just vote for her!

6. Smash Into Pieces - Heroes Are Calling
Andreas "Giri" Lindbergh, Benjamin Jennebo, Chris Adam Hedman Sörbye, Jimmy "Joker" Thörnfeldt, Joy Deb, Linnea Deb, Per Bergquist
screenshot-2023-12-18-at-10.49.17.png

They came third last year, and you have to expect they're going all out for the win this time. The digital face mask looks very similar to what KeiiNO are playing with over the border in Norway, which opens up for some amusing mix-up potential if they both make it to the big stage in May.

Schedule
Monday: stage effects, choreography
Tuesday: Song lyrics. Journalists' reviews starting at 10am CET.
Wednesday: BPM numbers. First Rehearsals.
Thursday: 1 minute studio version at 7am CET
Friday: 30 sec of the performance at 7am CET and the general rehearsal poll.
Saturday: Melfest

The stage design is out and it's... underwhelming. Saving all their money for Malmo I guess.

1706601890944.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: Hak
Adam: Supposed to have a really strong entry made early in the summer, especially for Melfest. He chose to turn down song offers from the usual suspects and instead wrote his own entry with people he knew. In interviews, he's claimed that he had given up on his singing career and was focusing on becoming a DJ and producer before the opportunity for Melodifestivalen 2023 came about. Since his main focus is still on producing, expect this to have a heavy house and electronic sound.

Samir & Viktor: They're just happy to be there and would love to make it to the final. They expect to do worse than with Shuffla.

Melina Borglowe: No one has heard her song, and she doesn't have any published interviews.

Elisa: This is our only classical schlager banger of 2024. Among the Swedish schlager divas, she's one of the youngest and probably the only one who hasn't found fame through Melodifestivalen. We all know her quality control isn't the best; the dansband genre she's born out of has always had the strategy of churning out volumes of music in the hope that something sticks. I expect a Perelli-reject.

Lisa: Has a strong midtempo song made to showcase her vocals. It's her fifth time entering in 9 years, and she's still not bothering with song credits. She gets offered a lot of demos as composers know her voice alone will carry most songs. She wouldn't have entered unless she thought this would make the finals. I have difficulty seeing her doing better as there's been a disconnect between her songs and the visual vision in her Melodifestivalen entries.

SIP: Not many rumors about their song except that they declined to enter a lot of songs for not being strong enough or a bad fit for Mello. This one was made and sent in very late. Their latest release, written in collaboration with Dino and Dotter, is pretty strong, so I reckon they're serious contenders.

He's definitely more on the schlager fan side of things. He's probably inclined to be overly positive, but I'd trust his reviews in terms of the sound.

• Care
Reactions: Hak
Scandipop reviews

‘Supernatural’ – Adam Woods
(Adam Woods, Calle Hellberg, Jonna Hall, William Segerdahl)

We were introduced to Adam at Melodifestivalen 2023, when he competed with Jon Henrik Fjällgren and Arc North on ‘Where You Are (Sávežan)’ – nabbing a place in the final, no less! Now he gets to showcase what *he* sounds like.

And what he sounds like is pretty damn special. ‘Supernatural’ is a high-energy dance track that has more in common with Swedish Eurovision winner ‘Euphoria’ than it does with his collaboration last year. It sounds like what Danny Saucedo should have come back to the competition with in 2013 to finally earn that Melodifestivalen win. And he would have actually achieved it with this. It’s an incredibly strong start to Melodifestivalen 2024.

‘Hela Världen Väntar’ – Samir & Viktor
(David Kreuger, Fredrik Kempe, Niklas Carson Matsson)

Their fourth time competing in Melodifestivalen, but their first time in six years. Has their sound changed much?

Mercifully not! By the end of Saturday night we’ll know if Sweden still has an appetite for this kind of thing – this very specific kind of thing. But Samir & Viktor are cleverly hedging their bets with this one; the song morphs into what sounds like a completely different tune post-chorus. So really, they’ve given themselves two shots at impressing Swedish voters.

It’s as though ‘Bada Nakna’ never got out of the water to dry itself off and cover itself up. But life is short – let’s enjoy splashing about.

‘Forever Yours’ – Elisa Lindström
(Elisa Lindström, Erik Bernholm, Henric Axelsson, Henrik Sethsson, Thomas G:son)

Former front-lady of her own dansband, this is Elisa’s third time competing at Melodifestivalen. Will it be third time lucky at advancing beyond the semi-final stages?

That matters not. What’s important here is that SVT has offered up a gargantuan schlager banger for us all to enjoy. And we’re taking it – and never letting go. ‘Forever Yours’ is an obvious throwback to the classic era of mid-’00s Melodifestivalen, as well as being a love song to all of us who were obsessed with the contest’s output at that time.

Throughout almost two decades, we’ve seen you all enjoying this kind of schlager on the dancefloors everywhere from Euroclub to Eurofest. And we’ll be seeing you there again – absolutely losing it to ‘Forever Yours’.

CAMP!

‘Awful Liar’ – Lisa Ajax
(David Lindgren Zacharias, Sebastian Atas, Victor Crone, Victor Sjöström)

At 25 years of age, Lisa is already a Melfest veteran – she’s back for a fifth throw of the dice in 2024.

We can see why she’d want to come back again – with a song like this waved in front of her, she’d have been silly to say no. Regardless of what its result might be, ‘Awful Liar’ will be an eternal gem within the artist’s own repertoire, and one she’ll hired to perform for crowds for years to come.

Of all her Melodifestivalen songs, it sounds most like ‘Torn’ – in that it’s a ballad that goes big on the heart-break melody and lyric combo. Once the first chorus is done with, the song takes on a larger production – building to a satisfyingly climactic final chorus.

‘Heroes Are Calling’ – Smash Into Pieces
(Andreas ”Giri” Lindbergh, Benjamin Jennebo, Chris Adam Hedman Sörbye, Jimmy “Joker” Thörnfeldt, Joy Deb, Linnea Deb, Per Bergquist)

This band made their Melodifestivalen debut in 2023 and finished in third place at the final, with their song ‘Six Feet Under’ going on to become one of the biggest radio hits of the year in Sweden.

With ‘Heroes Are Calling’, it sounds like they’ve come back to improve by a couple of places on that bronze-medal finish last year. This will appeal to anyone who enjoyed its predecessor, but also – crucially – to a few more folk; and that’s anyone who appreciates an ambitiously epic chorus.

Last year they went big, this year they’ve gone bigger. And Saturday night might not be the last time they perform on an SVT-owned stage in Malmö before the year is out…

To be honest folks I don't think I have the time or the pool of references to do extensive witty write-ups in this decidedly post-schlager Melfest era.
Anyway I'm obviously here for VoR getting pissed off and writing this in the week that we might actually get our first proper schlager effort in a decade. :D

Is this some kind of anti-curse you've put on it?

Based on names and rumours this would be the most difficult Deltävling to advance from. Elisa will have to pull out Party Voice levels of greatness to progress in any capacity.

It feels deliberately engineered to ensure a week 1 streaming hit by steering Samir & Viktor through the Prolonging.

Last edited:
1. Adam Woods - Well, this is pure Tart-nip and I'm very much on board.
2. Sam n Vik - Wasn't sure at first but then we got the chorus and the tease of a tempo shift so I'm very much IN. Has Samir been ill / been replaced by a middle-aged lesbian?

3. Melina - Lol bless.
4. Elisa - Capsizing the Mother of Free Enterprise in the shallow waters of Cuntbrugge. Genuinely didn't think Sweden still had this sort of thing in them :disco:

5. Sounds like a mid-00s P!nk ballad. Easily the weakest thing she's submitted so far.
6. Smash Into Pieces - :disco: :disco: :disco: :disco: This will make such a fantastic silver medallist to Olly Alexander in May :disco:

I'm going to try to hold my nerve and resist listening to this apparent second 76th coming of schlager until Saturday night.

1. Adam Woods- It’s basically Euphoria at points in the backing track, isn’t it? But, presuming the chorus kicks off, this could be fun.

2. Samir & Viktor- Feel like I’ve heard that melody before somewhere. Nice enough, but that auto tuned bit at the end sucks.

3. Melina- Ouch.

4. Elisa- Fun, but basic. It’s going to tank, surely?

5. Lisa Ajax- Snore. But could go big I guess.

6. Smash Into Pieces- this is so fucking generic it hurts.in what world did it take SEVEN songwriters (i.e.- it didn’t). The lowest denominator, music by vox pop. Awful.

Prediction:

DTF- Smash Into Pieces, Samir & Viktor
AC- Adam Woods, Lisa Ajax
5- Elisa
6- Melina

Is there ANY HOPE that we can get Elisa into whatever Andra Chansen is nowadays? :disco:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom