Melodifestivalen 2024: Deltävling One (Malmö) - 7pm Tonight!

They have really got to stop fucking with the formula for the sake of fucking with the formula. Who cares if andra chansen is a slightly dead show compared to the rest? I'd rather one repechage show I didn't really care quite as much about (but which still had its own stakes) to five dreadfully paced shows. Get back to seven entries each with two normal reprises like you were ALWAYS FUCKING CAPABLE OF, stop accepting the most generic slop, and just focus on QUALITY MUSIC rather than shite comedy routines.

They have really got to stop fucking with the formula for the sake of fucking with the formula. Who cares if andra chansen is a slightly dead show compared to the rest? I'd rather one repechage show I didn't really care quite as much about (but which still had its own stakes) to five dreadfully paced shows. Get back to seven entries each with two normal reprises like you were ALWAYS FUCKING CAPABLE OF, stop accepting the most generic slop, and just focus on QUALITY MUSIC rather than shite comedy routines.

I do think they could get rid of Andra Chansen ANYWAY. I don't think I've watched that live EVER- including in my loon days. Keep the repechage idea, sure, but I do agree it doesn't REALLY need a separate episode.

Having said that, I agree entirely with what you've said there. Last night was probably the first time I've watched a Melodifestivalen semi and thought "this is actually awful". And the songs weren't GREAT, but it wasn't about them, it was totally about the production. Giving the A*Teens 4 minutes seemed a bit LAX when that fucking interminable "comedy" nonsense went on. And don't get me started on those two journalists with the computer.

If they're desperate to keep six weeks of TV, just have 5 heats with 35 songs, no? It wasn't so long ago we happily had 8 songs in a heat without an issue- it's not that much more.

Aftonbladet focused on Bjorn Gustafson’a comeback/reprise of the 2008 skit as a success, and revealed he’ll be back every week.

I will say that he was very funny but I agree to an international audience it’s not the usual type of humour that can translate. Carina being quite ALOOF and not radiating warmth added to the overall mood as quite flat. You definitely get the feeling that despite being a separate show entirely all of the creativity is going towards Eurovision, and so they just hired Carina as someone dependable to keep it together.

Expressen newspaper has an article praising Carina but says in coming weeks she’s going to need a better script and ideas beyond her love life.

• Care
Reactions: Hak
Especially when you consider some of what used to get cut! I'm sorry but the thought that Linjen I min hand wasn't up to par...

Aftonbladet focused on Bjorn Gustafson’a comeback/reprise of the 2008 skit as a success, and revealed he’ll be back every week.

I will say that he was very funny but I agree to an international audience it’s not the usual type of humour that can translate. Carina being quite ALOOF and not radiating warmth added to the overall mood as quite flat. You definitely get the feeling that despite being a separate show entirely all of the creativity is going towards Eurovision, and so they just hired Carina as someone dependable to keep it together.

Expressen newspaper has an article praising Carina but says in coming weeks she’s going to need a better script and ideas beyond her love life.

I was also about to say that I didn't warm to Carina at all.

(And I also wrote that it would be interesting to hear from a Swede as we don't speak the language, but then I edited my post and cut that by accident, so thank you...)

Also, the Eurovision comment- I understand that entirely, but then surely you WOULDN'T be changing things/ fiddling around with the formula? It's easiest/ less hassle/ creativity to just leave things as they are.

As I said earlier on, this was not about lack of budget, it was about poor production decisions.

And the songs weren't GREAT, but it wasn't about them
THIS ENTIRELY. There was so much padding after the songs that it pulled focus away from them completely. MF always excels when it's concise and the contest feels like a big deal; last night felt like the songs were a formality they wanted to get out of the way so they could get to the Sanremo-grade comedy section.

It's been on the way for a while but it sounds like the Melodifestivalen heats are now just shows to skip and watch back the highlights, while watching one of the other clashing national finals live?

Part of the problem is that the production team consider it to be an entertainment show first, a music competition second. They've been quite vocal about that over the last few years.

Reactions: Hak
It's been on the way for a while but it sounds like the Melodifestivalen heats are now just shows to skip and watch back the highlights, while watching one of the other clashing national finals live?

Oh isn't THAT interesting. YES. That really is the case.

I’m still not really sure why they cut the number of songs per heat from 8, and now even further - for such a successful show that so many want to get into, why limit that? It’s hardly as if they’re using the added time for anything worthwhile. Only properly eliminating two songs each time feels a bit lower stakes as well.

I dimly recall the justification first time around when they switched from 8 entries per heat to 7 and 2 AC qualifiers to 4 being rumoured to be record label pressure, because they were tired of entering priority artists only for them to end up being embarrassed in the heats/AC.

I dimly recall the justification first time around when they switched from 8 entries per heat to 7 and 2 AC qualifiers to 4 being rumoured to be record label pressure, because they were tired of entering priority artists only for them to end up being embarrassed in the heats/AC.

They were really annoyed that the supposedly on-trend radio songs from their young priority signings kept getting beaten by the likes of Alcazar and Linda Bengtzing. :D

They were really annoyed that the supposedly on-trend radio songs from their young priority signings kept getting beaten by the likes of Alcazar and Linda Bengtzing. :D

Justice prevailed, even if that's really annoying for some 🤗

1707045256954.png

Reactions: VoR
I do think they could get rid of Andra Chansen ANYWAY. I don't think I've watched that live EVER- including in my loon days. Keep the repechage idea, sure, but I do agree it doesn't REALLY need a separate episode.

Having said that, I agree entirely with what you've said there. Last night was probably the first time I've watched a Melodifestivalen semi and thought "this is actually awful". And the songs weren't GREAT, but it wasn't about them, it was totally about the production. Giving the A*Teens 4 minutes seemed a bit LAX when that fucking interminable "comedy" nonsense went on. And don't get me started on those two journalists with the computer.

If they're desperate to keep six weeks of TV, just have 5 heats with 35 songs, no? It wasn't so long ago we happily had 8 songs in a heat without an issue- it's not that much more.
There are primarily two issues they're trying to solve with the new system:

Viewership dips noticeably for AC
There is a noticeable drop in audience engagement and media coverage during AC. They also receives significantly more negative press and social media feedback during the AC week because of people complaining about the rehash of old content. It's not only tiring for the producers to defend this year after year, but it also negatively affects the Grand Final viewer numbers due to the loss of momentum. This new format will keep the momentum growing every week.

Less costs for artists and labels
Only a handful of artists, like Tess, Linda (latest try), and Ugglas, fund their own acts. Eliminated songs are loss-makers for labels if the artist gets a public perception of having flopped, or if the artist is new and completely fails to make an impression. Labels are unwilling to spend any significant amount on an undiscovered artist they predict will end up in 6th or 7th. Having obvious no-hopers in turn makes the show less exciting.

You need eliminations to keep the nerve, but lessening the risk of a total flop makes labels want to invest more into lesser known acts. AC entries gets a significant streaming and airplay bump just based on still being in the competition, while the finalists aren't available until week 4 (now 5).

With 4 * 8 entries, 16 (50%) are still in it through week 5, and 25% of entries get an AC bump.
With 5 * 6 entries, 20 (67%) are still in it through week 5, and 33% of entries get an AC bump.

Labels have spent less on staging for the last 8 years, which SVT has compensated for to some extent so labels willing to spend more save costs for SVT in the long run.

Alternatively, interval acts also costs SVT significantly less compared to competing entries, even if they're repeat performances like in AC. I don't think this was a high priority consideration for the 2024 format decisions, as Melodifestivalen has enough of a budget to do the 7 or 8 acts per episode format. Instead, I believe they have data to show that voting drama and Björn Gustavsson's interval acts drive viewership more than Sylvester Schlegel or Mahan Moin ever would.

Björn and A*Teens were hailed as total successes in the media, while Carina received lukewarm to positive reviews. The consensus seems to be that MF is finally funny again.

It's worth noting that Björn was reduced from co-host to sidekick just a few weeks ago, so script writers and Carina have been given additional assignments on a relatively short notice.

The extra padding and weird pacing have garnered some criticism on social media. Journalists have generally defended the format change as it made room for the winners' reprise. They heavily criticize the convoluted voting and winner announcement procedure but still hold faith that SVT will sort out the other production issues in the coming weeks.

Tabloid gossip covered how Elisa's glitter ended up in Adam Wood's underwear and how Dhani's half-famous girlfriend had no clue he had been a teenage pop star.
How could she have no clue? She’s only 30 so would have only been a child when they were successful but I find it hard to believe it never came up in conversation. It’s not like he was in some flop band who released one single instead of a band with a six-year career.

Defended the format change as it made room for a winners' reprise? THERE WAS ALWAYS FUCKING ROOM FOR A WINNERS REPRISE! THEY WERE THE ONES WHO CAME UP WITH THE SILLY CHANGES AND INSISTED THERE WASN'T ROOM FOR IT!

How could she have no clue? She’s only 30 so would have only been a child when they were successful but I find it hard to believe it never came up in conversation. It’s not like he was in some flop band who released one single instead of a band with a six-year career.
Perhaps he hid it along with is failed solo career? She claims to have been a big fan of S Club 7 and Blue!

Forever Yours is such a bubble of JOY. I haven't watched all of the semis in full and know she was never going to progress much further, but that feels like one of the standout songs this year. What a chorus! It reminds me of Neon Blue by Steps but even better.

Such a shame the audience for this kind of exuberant pop seems to be strictly in the category of aging gay and nothing else these days. Oh well, at least she didn't die on her arse so that's something.

I absolutely love that Melina song too, that would have been such a tonic at Eurovision this year and probably ended up doing quite well. It coming dead last doesn't do it justice at all. It's just the right side of TWEE and I loved the staging. What a waste! Miserable Swedes :(

The top two are FINE I guess, Lisa a bit shrill in places but I like it for what it is.

I like how Smash Into Pieces (they can definitely smash me in etc etc) seem committed to being a tribute act to 2001 rock/metal groups in every area right down to some rather flat vocals.

Not my chosen top 2, but the obvious ones I guess.

Also any time I think this Melodifestivalen has been underwhelming, when I count how many songs in all these heats could feasibly come top 10 for Sweden at Eurovision, it doesn't seem bad at all. I mean both things can be true at the same time, but still.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom