Melodifestivalen 2024: Swedish Charts & Stats Thread

I can very much see a "shock" LIAMOO win. I also pray that's incorrect but I feel it's worth a hateful bet if I could be arsed.

I can very much see a "shock" LIAMOO win. I also pray that's incorrect but I feel it's worth a hateful bet if I could be arsed.
Literally the only scenario I would accept a LIAMOO win is if it was down to him or Cazzi.

That's by no means a compliment to him; I'd accept a win for naked Ann Widdecombe clubbing baby seals live on stage if the only other option was Cazzi.

I suppose the one and only positive from both Heat 5 songs making it through the second chance shambles is that all of the finalists can be compared on an even footing when it comes to Spotify, YouTube views and so on since they were all released at the same time.

Medina and M&M have recency bias and Medina especially is the kind of song that does well on streaming. That doesn’t mean it will transfer to both points from all age groups and points from the international juries.
True, but Medina don't have recency bias over M&M, so I'm hoping after a week of streaming they might have a slight head start with that demographic at least. Slim chances but I'll take whatever at this point.

Has any song won Melodifestivalen without being one of the top 2 on streaming/digital sales (in the days when that was relevant) the week before the final? It’s hard to be positive about Effortless’ chances given the data :( where was Move in 2020?

Has any song won Melodifestivalen without being one of the top 2 on streaming/digital sales (in the days when that was relevant) the week before the final? It’s hard to be positive about Effortless’ chances given the data :( where was Move in 2020?
I’m pretty sure Move wasn’t top two.

But let’s face it, Effortless is fucked.

It's not quite fucked yet I don't think, but it really is increasingly relying on being in pole position by the end of the jury votes, and probably needing to have nabbed a decisive advantage over Marcus & Martinus (of the 'shock 0 from the KaLuxembourg national jury' variety)

I'm guessing the biggest surprise winner of the modern era would have been Robin Stjernberg.
Bengtsson a close second (at least if my £160 winnings were anything to go by 😍)

(I also feel like Move wasn't really on any radars going into that final, but can't really recall if anything even was other than Bulletproof)

Wasn’t Anna predicted to be Dotter’s biggest challenger going into the final?

I’ve kinda made peace with the twins winning.

Of course I want Jacqueen but it’s her first rodeo so the odds were against her anyway and she looks like she’s going to be the breakout star of this year and I’m sure shell be back to get her revenge.

I’m sure she’ll be back as well (with an inferior song that’s been writers’ camped to within an inch of its life to rip off whatever Dua Lipa’s next single is).

I’m sure she’ll be back as well (with an inferior song that’s been writers’ camped to within an inch of its life to rip off whatever Dua Lipa’s next single is).
How many artists have come back the second time with a better song? It’s not the majority that’s for sure.

How many artists have come back the second time with a better song? It’s not the majority that’s for sure.
It just so often feels too overthought second time around after quite an organic success the first time.

I'm actually looking through recent contests and can only find a handful:
Lillasyster
Theoz
Anna Bergendahl
Dotter
Omar Rudberg (Only because his first effort was so shit)
Wiktoria

Every Klara Hammarström song has been better than the preceding one, which I hope means she’s two more efforts away from the most earth shattering entry in Melfest history.

I don't know if Theoz came back with a better song, he just came back with the same song.

John Lundvik definitely improved with Too Late For Love compared to My Turn. I would say Benjamin Ingrosso as well.

Oh, there are some.

Loreen, Danny, possbily Saade, Bergendahl, Oscar Zia, Benjamin Ingrosso, Carola, Dotter, Lillasyster, Felix Sandman (Every Single Day), BWO, Theoz, Wiktoria, Fredrik Kempe, Jenny Silver, John Lundvik, possibly Mariette, Lena PH, ABBA, Molly Sandén, Liamoo, Cazzi Opeia, Samir & Viktor, Nordman, Sanna Nielsen, Lasse Holm, Thomas Ledin, Chips, Ola, Sean Banan, Panetoz, Anis Don Demina, Klara Hammarström, Faith Kakembo, Maria Sur, Friends, Elisabeth Andreasson, Lotta Engberg, Shirley Camp, Andrés Esteche, Siw Malmqvist and Sonya to name a few :eyes:

Oh, there are some.

Loreen, Danny, possbily Saade, Bergendahl, Oscar Zia, Benjamin Ingrosso, Carola, Dotter, Lillasyster, Felix Sandman (Every Single Day), BWO, Theoz, Wiktoria, Fredrik Kempe, Jenny Silver, John Lundvik, possibly Mariette, Lena PH, ABBA, Molly Sandén, Liamoo, Cazzi Opeia, Samir & Viktor, Nordman, Sanna Nielsen, Lasse Holm, Thomas Ledin, Chips, Ola, Sean Banan, Panetoz, Anis Don Demina, Klara Hammarström, Faith Kakembo, Maria Sur, Friends, Elisabeth Andreasson, Lotta Engberg, Shirley Camp, Andrés Esteche, Siw Malmqvist and Sonya to name a few :eyes:
If you make the criteria "artists who have come back with a better song second time around after a successful debut and not in the fucking 80s" then that list would certainly be trimmed quite a bit.

Hak, you're probably in the process of answering that post in the most literal sense possible - please don't, it's fine honestly.

I don't understand where this nostalgic sentiment comes from. Most of the 2023 finalen artists returned with a better song than their last attempt.

I don't understand where this nostalgic sentiment comes from. Most of the 2023 finalen artists returned with a better song than their last attempt.
The only two who were back for a second time were Theoz and Tone, and personally I only feel like one of them made a (slight) improvement.

I certainly don't think that everyone who enters Melodifestivalen more than once continually enters worse songs than their last.

It's more the habit (not always, but frequently) of artists having a breakout success and then coming back with something that turns out to be inferior through either overthinking, trying too hard, or going away with the aim of creating a "winner."

Sometimes artists will do exactly that and it totally pays off (Eric Saade probably a good example), but a lot of the time it doesn't.

Ashes to Ashes, Kingdom Come and Higher Power are all better than This Is My Life

It's more the habit (not always, but frequently) of artists having a breakout success and then coming back with something that turns out to be inferior through either overthinking, trying too hard, or going away with the aim of creating a "winner."
I don't feel this is a general rule at all. In fact, my hunch is that second timers in Melfest fare FAR better than say most artists trying to follow up a breakthrough single on Spotify or radio.

Your logic might hold somewhat true for If we confine our selection to breakout successes without any solid career or fanbase to fall back on. The label considers the need to establish the artist beyond being a one hit wonder for long term financial sustainability. In such cases, it makes perfect business sense to re-enter already the following year with something safe and trusted which might feel formulaic.

Viewers have short memories, and SVT therefore prefer breakthrough artists returning consecutively to waiting a few years. Any performance that isn't a complete flop will pay off, allowing you to sustain your career through continuous touring and higher charges.

I’ve just played Mr Sheena a few of this year’s finalists in bed and he liked M&M first and said Jacqline and Maria were “just too generic”….

…which means he’ll have them both on his regular playlist by Friday.

• Care
Reactions: Hak
Regardless of the maths behind people returning with superior/inferior songs, how the hell do you top "Effortless" anyway?

I'd agree with @Pingu that in that instance, it does seem likely they'll go down the overthought "let's make a winner" for her comeback. I'm sure she'll return successfully regardless with a higher profile, but I'd be surprised if they matched Effortless.

Assuming she doesn't win on Saturday, she still might! (:()

GROUNDS OF MENTAL CRUELTY
Gunny-Stare.png

You're the one administering his playlist!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom