Miley Cyrus - Endless Summer Vacation + grammy winner at last

I listened to Handstand, River, and Violent Chemistry last night. Headstand I love, but only the final 2 thirds. The spoken part is kind of annoying. The production is great. It kind of reminds me of a modern version of Ray of Light/Music

Violent Chemistry is the best one imo, and Muddy Feet is FINE

Yeah the Handstand—River—Violent Chemistry run is the best part for me

Reactions: LTZ
to flesh out my thoughts from yesterday, having played this twice in full now...

the "AM" section (first 5/6 tracks) is fucking boring. Jaded feels like a slog to get through, Rose Colored Lenses is a bit better but still feels laboured in terms of the songwriting. Thousand Miles is a real fucking snooze, and the attempt to turn it into a Harry Styles track at the end actually made me angry.

You is a fantastic song, but whatever they've done with the production is bizarre. it feels audibly like a song that's been through many iterations, the final one being this uncomfortable mix of raw rock ballad and flat electronic pop song. a real shame, but at least we have the far superior live version.

not sure if Handstand is a great song per se but it's interesting and the way it goes all electronic to segue into the second half of the album is well done.

River... like many songs here feels very first-draft. like, that chorus needed some serious work, it's lazy. the middle 8 is hot but over way too soon. Violet Chemistry is probably the best track on the album? a more successful banger than River. but even there the chorus has some odd melodic things going on and the vocal is buried too deep.

I surprisingly don't hate Muddy Feet, quite good. Wildcard needs more plays. Island feels like it might have been the blueprint for this record - it's relaxed, breezy, sensual, a properly good song. Wonder Woman wants very badly to be Golden G String but it's undercooked.

the whole thing just feels surprisingly demoish, flatly produced (Kid Harpoon is a horrible fit for her) and melodically meh. I'm quite surprised the label allowed this album to be released in its current state actually.
I kinda agree with everything here !

“River”

80S Dancing GIF

on first listen

09 Flowers
08 Jaded
06 Red Colored Lenses
05 Thousand Miles
06 You
07 Headstand
08 River
10 Violet Chemistry
06 Muddy Feet
06 Wildcard
06 Island
05 Wonder Woman

great verses, incredible bridges, but painfully mediocre choruses. all in all, it's all just so... MID.

90 SHE IS COMING
88 Plastic Hearts
85 Bangerz
75 Younger Now
68 Endless Summer Vacation
Can't Be Tamed
45 Dead Petz

i see it eventually growing into the 70-73 range.

This album definitely sounded better on second listen but there is still a lot of middling material on there.

Jaded's chorus is just a bit droney to me, she has done this kind of thing better before. I think I like Rose Colored Lenses best of the more downtempo stuff in the first half.

Quite into Handstand, as well as her friend Twitchy, and Violet Chemistry. Island is a lovely chill moment, even if it outstays its welcome just a tad.

Plastic Hearts definitely had more potential (wasted) single moments.

27m Spotify debut for the album. Apparently that is mediocre after you remove "Flowers" streams built in that figure in that it is basically what Plastic Hearts debuted with. Hopefully "River" turns into another hit for her.

WW Spotify
#1 Flowers | 9,156,903
#11 River | 3,669,597
#36 Jaded | 2,359,191
#56 Rose Colored Lenses | 1,935,105
#66 Thousand Miles | 1,829,789
#82 You | 1,660,588
#90 Muddy Feet | 1,571,639
#98 Handstand | 1,522,419
#99 Violet Chemistry | 1,514,515
#138 Wildcard | 1,313,256
#164 Island | 1,219,541

I’m surprised there’s been vague talk of it being a ‘flop’. She’s never been absolutely huge with her albums, and whilst Flowers obviously is, that doesn‘t mean the associated album will be record breaking.

That many album tracks in the top 200 is clearly a good result.

"Violet Chemistry" is the biggest grower for me today. The chorus really takes off, whereas "River" mainly serves for the verses/bridge.

27m isn't that bad. it's more than what Plastic Hearts and Younger Now did combined, so that's that, but it's definitely a disappointment given how she absolutely floored Spotify with Flowers. i think the roll-out should have changed after what Flowers did. she should have let Flowers dominate for one more month, built hype around the album with interviews, then released River one week before the album, a bit closer to the summer.

this is how it faired compared to the other girlies:

1. Taylor Swift - Midnights 186m
2. Taylor Swift - Red TV 90m
3. Taylor Swift - folklore 80m
4. Ariana Grande - thank you, next 70m
5. SZA - SOS 68m
6. Taylor Swift - evermore 66m
7. Olivia Rodrigo - SOUR 63m
8. Adele -30 60m
9. Ariana Grande - Positions 56m
10. Taylor Swift - Lover 54m
11. Taylor Swift - Fearless 50m
12. Lady Gaga - Chromatica 48m
13. Billie Eilish - When We Go To Sleep 47m
14. Beyoncé - Renaissance 43m
15. Billie Eilish - Happier Than Ever 37m
16. Ariana Grande - Sweetener 36m
17. Black Pink - BORN PINK 33m
18. Doja Cat - Planet Her 29m
19. Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia 29m
20. Miley Cyrus - Endless Summer Vacation 27m
21. Cardi B - Invasion of Privacy 27m
22. Selena Gomez - Rare 25m

Last edited:
The Disney+ special is really nice, good to hear some of the back stories of the songs and how she feels about this album and her process.

She calls it her ‘Cinderella shoe’ as it’s the perfect fit for her

Projected to debut at #3 in the US with 115k-130k. Not an earth shattering figure, but Plastic Hearts debuted with less than half of that (58k).

Any info on the UK numbers?

“Jaded” is still the one for me.

There’s definitely filler here but so far I’m feeling stronger highs but less consistency than Plastic Hearts.

I listened for the third time this morning and Island and Thousand Miles are really growing on me

There’s definitely filler here but so far I’m feeling stronger highs but less consistency than Plastic Hearts.
that’s where I am. I like some of the songs here more than anything on Plastic Hearts but I don’t think I’ll listen to this album in its entirety for much longer

Projected to debut at #3 in the US with 115k-130k. Not an earth shattering figure, but Plastic Hearts debuted with less than half of that (58k).

now these are good numbers!

get your self some flowers, Molly! :disco:

on first listen

09 Flowers
08 Jaded
06 Red Colored Lenses
05 Thousand Miles
06 You
07 Headstand
08 River
10 Violet Chemistry
06 Muddy Feet
06 Wildcard
06 Island
05 Wonder Woman

great verses, incredible bridges, but painfully mediocre choruses. all in all, it's all just so... MID.

90 SHE IS COMING
88 Plastic Hearts
85 Bangerz
75 Younger Now
68 Endless Summer Vacation
Can't Be Tamed
45 Dead Petz

i see it eventually growing into the 70-73 range.

This is no way worse than Younger Now, even Joanne was better than that country turd.

I've been cherry picking from this and truly it's all so boring, I still can't believe she's made an album with no new Miley classics. I don't see myself coming back to anything here six months from now.

You is the best song and maybe I'll get over the production and bring that one with me. and Island will probably hit different in the Barcelona sun this summer.

6.2 from Pitchfork which is all it deserves

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom