MOOPY ALBUM SYNC LISTEN - Massive Attack - Protection - 28/06 20:00

I had not previously noticed that the cover of this album looks like a decayed version of the cover to Blue Lines. Presumably a deliberate reference to the content, but I don't remember Blue Lines well enough to spot it.

I had not previously noticed that the cover of this album looks like a decayed version of the cover to Blue Lines. Presumably a deliberate reference to the content, but I don't remember Blue Lines well enough to spot it.
I never thought of that! :shock:

I like Horace Andy and I enjoy what he brings to MA but I always find myself feeling that "Man next Door" is his greatest work with the group...but this is proper old-skool dub, chord stabs, deep reverbs...hard not to nod yr head approvingly.

I had forgotten that Tracey Thorn did another vocal on the album. There's a real yearning in the way she sings 'better things will come our way'.

"Better Things" is just lovely. Good decision to keep the production sparse. You can imagine it awash with strings but it's actually a tense, almost anxious thing and all the more powerful for it.

Tricky's back. Deliberate attempt to have the second half of the album repeat the same tone as the first half, I wonder?

The "Hell is round the corner" motif gets its first outing here before Tricky expands on it on Maxinequay.

EUROCHILD

I know this one as well! And not just because Tricky is using a lot of the 'Hell is Round the Corner' lyrics..

Tricky's back. Deliberate attempt to have the second half of the album repeat the same tone as the first half, I wonder?

Yeah, there's a definite symmetry - the vocalists line-up the same way on each side of the LP and Craig Armstrong's piano is the lead instrument on the 4th track on each side too.

10 Protection
08 Karmacoma
08 Three
07 Weather Storm
09 Spying Glass
08 Better Days
09 Eurochild

The most obvious version of this album on YouTube is fucked up. Every track after the first two cuts off after 3:43 without explanation. I've switched to a different version for the rest.

The most obvious version of this album on YouTube is fucked up. Every track after the first two cuts off after 3:43 without explanation. I've switched to a different version for the rest.

Odd. Most odd.

Sly wants to be on Blue Lines, I think. Which is fine but it doesn't quite butter my muffin.

Although apparently it was a single and reached No. 24 at the time. It must have completely passed me by given that this period was my totally geeky chart freak era. Not the most obvious choice for a single I would have thought..

10 Protection
08 Karmacoma
08 Three
07 Weather Storm
09 Spying Glass
08 Better Days
09 Eurochild
07 Sly

It's not an album swimming with potential singles, really. I can see why they went with it. By that time, IIRC, the press dialogue had moved onto Tricky's Maxinequay which received a rapturous reception from the music press.

I have no recollection of Sly being a single either and I must surely have heard it on the chart show. It's some very nice strings and not much else really.

It's not an album swimming with potential singles, really. I can see why they went with it. By that time, IIRC, the press dialogue had moved onto Tricky's Maxinequay which received a rapturous reception from the music press.
That's true. And might explain why I purchased Maxinequay at the time and not this..

Oh I like the intro to Heat Miser. The breathing sounds with the sinster piano is deeply lovely. It does feel like a film soundtrack.

10 Protection
08 Karmacoma
08 Three
07 Weather Storm
09 Spying Glass
08 Better Days
09 Eurochild
07 Sly
08 Heat Miser

This is nice enough...the snoring rhythm feels a bit gimmicky.
I heard it as more of an automatic breathing machine than snoring. It made me feel that the song was all happening in the head of a coma patient or similar.

LIGHT MY FIRE (LIVE)

Erm, not sure about the point of this'? Was this like a CD-only bonus track or something? Just feels random..

Yeah, I'm not sure that this is in any way necessary.

This is a very odd choice. Not very enjoyable and that song is irredeemable in any incarnation.

10 Protection
08 Karmacoma
08 Three
07 Weather Storm
09 Spying Glass
08 Better Days
09 Eurochild
07 Sly
08 Heat Miser
04 Light my Fire [Live]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back