Moopyfestivalen 2023: FINAL - RESULTS

7th: Smash Into Pieces - Six Feet Under (84pts)
1599px-Smash_Into_Pieces_-_Melodifestivalen_2023%2C_Malm%C3%B6_213.jpg

Rhythm of breast-oriented dance routine: ‘emotionally distressed machine gun’

This was the greatest pop song I heard this year until Kim Petras - King of Hearts, but between you and me, it’s elevated even further when you realise it’s basically Charlotte Perrelli - Hero if it became a school shooter :disco:

This one absolutely caned it through andra chansen here and managed to overcome the ignominy of being a rock song by men to make it to the top of the right hand side of the scoreboard here - no small feat considering these normally never qualify here! I imagine we’ll be seeing these boys back again with a DIMINISHING MARGINAL RETURNS-fest soon enough. Pack a key change next time and I imagine a few of us will be down there with ButterTart in the (impeccably polite and reserved) Swedish mosh pit bidding them for the win.

2 x 12: @ButterTart, @rhythmbandit
2 x 10: @babun, @Tisch
2 x 8: @ZenGiraffe, @win_the_game
2 x 6: @dUb, @Christian
1 x 4: @Velvet Skies
3 x 2: @Penelope, @Jacques, @Suomi
2 x 1: @Kratz, @AleX

6th: Mariette - One Day (97pts)
5f2304c8-3869-4d31-86b3-11f1daa9ba60.jpeg

Rhythm of breast-oriented dance routine: ‘visibly checking out during’

Look, it’s lovely. Really, it’s fine. But from a longtime maestress of Melfest atmospherics, five backing dancers hurling themselves with abandon off a halfpipe really didn’t cut it as a big moment, and that result - barely squeezing through andra chansen, clinging onto a qualifying slot with dear life, having gone direkt at every time of asking with ease prior till now - basically said it all.

As does not bagging a single 12 from you lot. We won’t be skipping if it comes up in future, but we probably aren’t still seeking this one out to actively play it. And true to most ‘one bow too far’ entries, you suspect we probably won’t be seeing our dreadlocked dame again for a while again yet, if ever at all. (Hold the cheers @COB - a woman just DIED!)

2 x 10: @Pingu, @Soldi
5 x 8: @Kala, @Kratz, @babun, @Tetris-Rock, @D5K
2 x 6: @Ill Advised, @VoR, @AleX, @Haiku Rewrites
2 x 4: @Christian, @dUb
1 x 2: @FetchFugly
3 x 1: @Velvet Skies, @rhythmbandit, @Suomi

What a SONG! What a WOMAN! :disco:

Fun fact - this is currently my most played song of the year on Spotify.

Will Blanka overhaul it by Xmas? Watch this space!

5f2304c8-3869-4d31-86b3-11f1daa9ba60.jpeg

Rhythm of breast-oriented dance routine: ‘visibly checking out during’

Look, it’s lovely. Really, it’s fine. But from a longtime maestress of Melfest atmospherics, five backing dancers hurling themselves with abandon off a halfpipe really didn’t cut it as a big moment, and that result - barely squeezing through andra chansen, clinging onto a qualifying slot with dear life, having gone direkt at every time of asking with ease prior till now - basically said it all.

As does not bagging a single 12 from you lot. We won’t be skipping if it comes up in future, but we probably aren’t still seeking this one out to actively play it. And true to most ‘one bow too far’ entries, you suspect we probably won’t be seeing our dreadlocked dame again for a while again yet, if ever at all. (Hold the cheers @COB - a woman just DIED!)

2 x 10: @Pingu, @Soldi
5 x 8: @Kala, @Kratz, @babun, @Tetris-Rock, @D5K
2 x 6: @Ill Advised, @VoR, @AleX, @Haiku Rewrites
2 x 4: @Christian, @dUb
1 x 2: @FetchFugly
3 x 1: @Velvet Skies, @rhythmbandit, @Suomi

If I was writing a musical, I’d have the protagonist sing this song with a full dance routine before immediately being run over

5th: Marcus & Martinus - Air (104pts)
Marcus-Martinus-Air-1600x1067.jpg

Rhythm of breast-oriented dance routine: ‘drowning / unable to dance for shit’

No, I’m sorry, but this result merely tells me that Moopy is simply too stunted to appreciate TRUE EMOTIONAL ART when it sees it. From the opening couplet - ‘You’re just like the ocean / I’ve got a million emotions’ - wherein Marcus and Martinus compare their lover/each other to the thing that killed Kirsty MacColl, the average listener is entranced and swept in. Of course they have a million emotions - wouldn’t you?

For the remaining two minutes, these boys proceeded to present a light show which completely defied physics (HOW DO THE LASERS STOP BEFORE THEY HIT THE FLOOR?), along with a chorus drop which felt like the Rapture was happening. Ordinarily, that probably would have been enough for the win, but in 2023 a woman with an even more emotional presentation that felt like dying was waiting stage right to leave these two perky little whelks to aspire to bridesmaids roles at best.

(Marcus & Martinus’s followup act of not washing for two months and smuggling themselves to Liverpool under the stage name ‘TuralTuranX’ was sadly even less successful)

1 x 12: @Jacques
2 x 10: @ButterTart, @auretz
2 x 8: @Haiku Rewrites, @Velvet Skies
4 x 6: @Penelope, @ZenGiraffe, @Soldi, @rhythmbandit
6 x 4: @babun, @Tetris-Rock, @Suomi, @Music, @AleX, @FetchFugly
2 x 2: @Ill Advised, @D5K
4 x 1: @VoR, @Tisch, @dUb, @win_the_game

This left me cold and still does

I think it's about time to break out this year's JESC thread as punishment for the crimes Moopy has just committed.

How has Wiktoria's mid entry not shown up yet?

4th: Kiana - Where Did You Go? (114pts)
where-did-you-go-Kiana.jpg

Rhythm of breast-oriented dance routine: ‘spirited four-to-the-floor’

Can you imagine how much hazing it takes to stage school a Swedish teenage girl into being this competent a performer at age 16? (imagine! Dua Lipa if she’d been able to SING AND DANCE off the BAT!) All I’m saying is not since Carola has anyone more transparently been hit on the back of the legs with a ruler and incentivised with salt licorice rigidly from age 5 than this girl. And aren’t the results just fantastic? :disco:

We’re almost certainly seeing this girl again next year in the heat 5 song 6 slot. I’d have big money on her to be taking on home a respectable 7th place bow in Malmö right now if the bookies didn’t have me barred for trying to Molotov them that one time

1 x 12: @Kala (NEVER CHANGE :disco:)
4 x 10: @VoR, @Suomi, @Music, @AleX
3 x 8: @Jacques, @Ill Advised, @Soldi
3 x 6: @auretz, @Tisch, @D5K
2 x 4: @ZenGiraffe, @Pingu
5 x 2: @ButterTart, @Kratz, @Velvet Skies, @Tetris-Rock, @dUb
2 x 1: @Penelope, @FetchFugly

3rd: Theoz - Mer av dig (121pts)
800px-Theoz_repetition_Melodifestivalen_2023_Link%C3%B6ping_02.jpg

Rhythm of breast-oriented dance routine: ‘receiving stellar A-Level results while female (local news photographer present)’

In which this little future star aces his very well-regarded debut, which managed a 9th place Moopyfestivalen 2022 finish, with a result that was on track and very, very nearly managed to come second out of the whole shebang here until the very last vote (thank you @win_the_game!). What is there for me to say about this that I haven’t said already? It is the sound of joy, and even a surprise trip via AC couldn’t stop this from taking on home a creditable 5th place finish in the contest itself and a big fat streaming hit. There’s clearly much, much more left in the tank from this one, even if I suspect it’ll probably be a good few more years yet before we see his crowning glory.

2 x 12: @Penelope, @Tisch
3 x 10: @Jacques, @Christian, @dUb
4 x 8: @ButterTart, @Pingu, @auretz, @AleX
3 x 6: @Tetris-Rock, @Music, @FetchFugly
2 x 4: @Kratz, @Ill Advised
4 x 2: @VoR, @Haiku Rewrites, @Soldi, @win_the_game
1 x 1: @babun

It’s good but I’ve never been that fussed about either of his entires. I mean, can she do a high kick?

@Penelope must have trolled us. In what world was Wiktoria's worst entry, the second best thing of Melodifestivalen 2023??!

2nd: Wiktoria - All My Life (Where Have You Been?) (123pts)
all-my-life-wiktoria-1296x700.jpg

Rhythm of breast-oriented dance routine: ‘writhing in silk sheets'

Less one bow too far, more a first - regretfully, regrettably disastrous - dip of the toe outside of a comfort zone. This one crashed into the buffers out of the gate in heat two, and one gets the sense that if we do see Wiktoria again soon, it'll be with an apology tour return to core values big ballad wail-a-thon that asks Sweden to forget (or, more likely, hopes it already has) that this all ever happened. And look - we love a sticky Vicky wail-a-thon. But surely everyone knows now there's not a chance it'll be half as glimmering, shimmering a delight as this.

And the thing is, the track isn't even the issue (you pipe down @ButterTart or produce some RECEIPTS for a mid-00s Delta Goodrem track this even barely resembles!). Because really, if there was a core value Wiktoria was abandoning here, it wasn't big balladry: it was performance.

For good or for ill, every Wiktoria entry prior till now made you believe for three minutes that she was feeling, experiencing, going through all of the emotions she was singing about, each a miniature emotional diorama and perfectly contained package of storytelling. But this time, she got up, performed her song with some dancers, and sat down. Where was the emotion? Where was the sense that she'd met someone who made her wonder where they had been all her life? If there's one thing we should have been able to expect from Wiktoria this time around, it was a performance that knocked Manila Luzon doing How Will I Know out of the park for wistful, lovestruck catatonia.

What a waste of - for my pink pound - her finest entry yet.

1 x 12: @dUb
4 x 10: @Ill Advised, @Tetris-Rock, @D5K, @win_the_game
4 x 8: @Penelope, @Music, @Christian, @FetchFugly
3 x 6: @Kratz, @Suomi, @Pingu
3 x 4: @VoR, @Tisch, @Soldi
4 x 2: @Kala, @ZenGiraffe, @AleX, @rhythmbandit
1 x 1: @auretz

Last edited:
Smash Into Pieces AND Marcus & Martinus out already and Wiktoria is still in? Did anyone actually hear her mid noughties Delta Goodrem album track or did you incorrectly just assume it was good based on past performance?
I actually liked it better than her previous performances (still didn't vote for it though) :bruised:

1st: Loreen - Tattoo (253pts)
screen-shot-2023-04-18-at-18.41.38.png

Rhythm of breast-oriented dance routine: ‘frantic'

We go through the Dinah Nah failures, the Cornelia near-misses, and the Statements, to make the moments like this all the sweeter.

15 x 12: @babun, @Ill Advised, @VoR, @Tetris-Rock, @Suomi, @Pingu, @auretz, @Music, @D5K, @AleX, @FetchFugly, @Haiku Rewrites, @Soldi, @Velvet Skies, @win_the_game
5 x 10: @Penelope, @Kala, @Kratz, @ZenGiraffe, @rhythmbandit
2 x 8: @dUb, @Tisch
1 x 4: @ButterTart
1 x 2: @Christian
1 x 1: @Jacques

And with that, this year is FINALLY. FUCKING. DONE.

1st: Loreen - Tattoo (253pts)
3rd: Theoz - Mer av dig (121pts)
4th: Kiana - Where Did You Go? (114pts)
5th: Marcus & Martinus - Air (104pts)
7th: Smash Into Pieces (84pts)
8th: LouLou Lamotte - Inga sorger (64pts)
9th: Laurell - Sober (47pts)
10th: Tone Sekelius - Rhythm of My Show (31pts)
11th: Melanie Wehbe - For the Show (24pts)
12th: Nordman - Släpp alla sorger (13pts)

Now, Moopyvision Decade 00s will RECOMMENCE in the COMING DAYS

This still drives me mad!
There’s a side view here but I’m still none the wiser:

The key bit is about 2 minutes in. The lights are circling around them a lot faster in this video than on TV.

I’m guessing some sort of wagon-wheel effect with the fps of the camera, or disappointing cgi nonsense.

There’s a side view here but I’m still none the wiser:

The key bit is about 2 minutes in. The lights are circling around them a lot faster in this video than on TV.

I’m guessing some sort of wagon-wheel effect with the fps of the camera, or disappointing cgi nonsense.

Amazing, I've never seen that. I think you're right about the fps thing (amazing it's so smooth); if they were doing cgi surely they wouldn't have bothered with the real laser at all?

all-my-life-wiktoria-1296x700.jpg

Rhythm of breast-oriented dance routine: ‘writhing in silk sheets'

Less one bow too far, more a first - regretfully, regrettably disastrous - dip of the toe outside of a comfort zone. This one crashed into the buffers out of the gate in heat two, and one gets the sense that if we do see Wiktoria again soon, it'll be with an apology tour return to core values big ballad wail-a-thon that asks Sweden to forget (or, more likely, hopes it already has) that this all ever happened. And look - we love a sticky Vicky wail-a-thon. But surely everyone knows now there's not a chance it'll be half as glimmering, shimmering a delight as this.

And the thing is, the track isn't even the issue (you pipe down @ButterTart or produce some RECEIPTS for a mid-00s Delta Goodrem track this even barely resembles!). Because really, if there was a core value Wiktoria was abandoning here, it wasn't big balladry: it was performance.

For good or for ill, every Wiktoria entry prior till now made you believe for three minutes that she was feeling, experiencing, going through all of the emotions she was singing about, each a miniature emotional diorama and perfectly contained package of storytelling. But this time, she got up, performed her song with some dancers, and sat down. Where was the emotion? Where was the sense that she'd met someone who made her wonder where they had been all her life? If there's one thing we should have been able to expect from Wiktoria this time around, it was a performance that knocked Manila Luzon doing How Will I Know out of the park for wistful, lovestruck catatonia.

What a waste of - for my pink pound - her finest entry yet.

1 x 12: @dUb
4 x 10: @Ill Advised, @Tetris-Rock, @D5K, @win_the_game
4 x 8: @Penelope, @Music, @Christian, @FetchFugly
3 x 6: @Kratz, @Suomi, @Pingu
3 x 4: @VoR, @Tisch, @Soldi
4 x 2: @Kala, @ZenGiraffe, @AleX, @rhythmbandit
1 x 1: @auretz

It’s so nice to see you all rallying behind the under appreciated genre of blandly pleasant radio pop.

It's a strange entry for Wiktoria as it hasn't really come to win, but it's an undeniably moreish MOOD PIECE! It has a dreamlike quality that allows the listener to escape in gay fantasy for three minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom