Name a CAREER RESUSCITATING album

Enjoying all these career-resuscitating second albums

Someone post a debut album, I fucking dare you

Actually one could call Eric Saade’s debut album a career resuscitating album, considering he was in a boyband before and it was only when he went solo, that he became popular with the wider Swedish (and international Mello/ESC watching) audience

ab67616d0000b2730ca89a5459c78525cb10d0aa

Probably not resurrecting but the Girls Aloud Greatest Hits elevated them to a whole new level in the U.K.

This is the closest I could get to a career resuscitating debut...

51pVk9mFt+L._AC_.jpg

Coltrane had been fired by Miles Davis and was struggling for work due to his heroin addiction. He was offered a deal by Prestige, took a month off to go cold turkey and laid this album down - his first as a band leader - on 31st May 1957 (Jazz albums were usually recorded in single sessions). The positive reception for the album brought in plenty of work including a return to Miles in '58 but he was off and running as a leader.

Less than 10 years after this album's release, Coltrane was dead. But in that short time, he created a catalogue that redefined jazz and challenged the internal logic of music itself.

Reactions: LTZ
MS01MTk3LmpwZWc.jpeg

Alcazar’s second album also took their career to a new level at least in Sweden. That album and their participation in Melfest in 2003 took them from being big mostly abroad and in the gay clubs to reaching out to everyone from school children to the elderly. Magnus joining the group did the trick too as he’d been a beloved dansband singer before. The 3.0. lineup and Disco Defenders album took over where Alcazarized/Dancefloor Deluxe and the 2.0. lineup left off.

I think this is the PERFECT example. Coming back with a number 1 single, and a 4x platinum album with this, followed by a 4x platinum greatest hits. This all worked out PERFECTLY for Gabrielle.

I hope some of you aren’t around if I ever need resuscitating - you wouldn’t know what it means! (I realise this is posted after Rita’s good example)

The career killer thread just turned into a list of underperforming albums, now this is just going to be a list of successful albums

The UK tended more towards a career saving single. Robbie Williams wasn't doing much and even his first-week hardcore was dropping until he released 'Angels' but this was all on this first album. Add to that the speed with which bands/artists were being dropped, especially in the 90s, and there aren't so many examples of this out there.

Even Gabrielle was an example of a hit single selling an album, which was how the industry worked then.

Gabrielle's second album didn't flop either though? Give Me a Little More Time was a massive hit, and the second album had a longer chart run than the first. Rise was her commercial pinnacle for sure, but she in no way needed a career resuscitation at that point...

Gabrielle’s second album went platinum, and Rise went 4x platinum and lead the way for a massive greatest hits which mirrored the sales of Rise. If she had another platinum selling album in between I don’t think she would have shifted near as much of her greatest hits album. I one million percent stand by Rise being Gabrielle’s career resuscitating album as she released a multi platinum Greatest Hits off the back of it.

Rise was a huge hit. Buy her career didn't need resuscitation.

Rise was a huge hit. Buy her career didn't need resuscitation.

It took her to another level, and brought life back in to a fair to middling career. She toured venues afterwards which she could have never done before. Is that not resuscitation or do we mean dead in the water as I was advised that also wasn’t the case with The Sugababes?

They hadn't had a top ten hit in seven years, then they came with this in 1991 and had 2 off the one album!

Orchestral_Manoeuvres_in_the_Dark_Sugar_Tax_album_cover.jpg

In 1996 was a #11 platinum selling album not seen as quite an underachievement. It certainly was from what I remember. 3 years later Gabrielle came out with Rise which went to number 1, and sold over a million copies in the uk alone and outsold the last album 4-1 followed by the Greatest Hits which sold similar numbers. Am I missing something here? How did this not revive her career?

No idea about Sugababes, but I see resuscitation as saving a career which is in terminal decline. And hers certainly wasn't.

No idea about Sugababes, but I see resuscitation as saving a career which is in terminal decline. And hers certainly wasn't.

Ah right, sorry we are looking at it from a different viewpoint. Rise brought her career to a different level to what she was on before, as she was treading water before in an era when you would get dropped incredibly easily. As I say she went from a number 11 platinum selling album, to a 4x platinum album in the UK and number 1 single. This followed on to Out of Reach which was also everywhere at the time, and then another multi platinum greatest hits and tour.To me that certainly resuscitated/ brought new life in to her career which is the viewpoint I was looking from.

It absolutely elevated her to another level. But I don't think 'resuscitated' is the word, or even that she was even really 'treading water' before. Her second album was more successful than her first. Her career was still in its ascendancy.

I don't think she was in any danger of being dropped after a platinum album which yielded three top ten hits, including one gold and one platinum.

Yes, I think we will have to agree to disagree. She was an established artist who started off with a number one in Dreams and never lived up to the success of that again until Rise ( If You Ever was quite big but that was a duet with East 17 who were huge at the time). Her second album went platinum which wasn’t a resounding success for the era, especially if it spawned 3 top 10’s. Cut to rise, massive success to the levels of Dreams and I call that a career resurgence. 🤷‍♀️

I also don’t think in the case of Gabrielle it was the album that did the job. Before the title track was released, she was headed for a similar middling trajectory. Sunshine was a decent first single, the album did ok. It was the second single (which I hate!) that changed everything.

Ni0zODc3LmpwZWc.jpeg

Think what a lineup change and Whole Again can do to one’s career. Wasn’t the lineup with Kerry about to be dropped at one point?

Yes! Then Whole Again happened and it was absolutely MASSIVE, and they had quite a decent successful chart career after it.

I always found it mindblowing that the record label said to them that they were getting dropped if Whole Again was not asuccess and then it happened. I assume it was because the album was already made and printed that they thought they were going to give it one more go. Did the record label know it was going to be big, or were they expecting nothing from it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom