Name a CAREER RESUSCITATING album

Well after @Rita considering the TOP SELLING ALBUM OF THE 90s (The Bodyguard) a flop , what isn't? :disco:

Honey PLEASE find the post where I said The Bodyguard was a flop. The biggest album of her career simply SLIPPED MY MIND.

Adele_-_25_%28Official_Album_Cover%29.png

So pleased she was able to claw back the shattered remnants of her career with this. :(

We all know things were still unraveling but this outsold Just Whitney in a much weaker market and produced her first UK top ten hit in nearly a decade.

Whitney_Houston_-_I_Look_To_You.png

In the UK American Life was a number one album though and spent 5 months on the chart, she was hardly dead and buried, though I get the point.

01_big.jpg

McCartney was in a weird place. "Pipes Of Peace" the song had been a hit but the album was considered a donkey. He had a hit with "No More Lonely Nights" but the film/soundtrack "Give My Regards To Broad Street" was rather less popular all round - although the album did some quick business in the short term, he got some brutal reviews for his re-recordings of Beatles songs. He had one of his most unlikely and most damaging hits with "We All Stand Together", which tanked his credibility and his next album "Press To Play" also tanked. A Greatest Hits did decent business but talk of the single "Once Upon A Long Ago" challenging for Xmas #1 proved to be hubris. Meanwhile, George Harrison was having his greatest success in 15 years with the Cloud Nine album, especially "Got My Mind Set On You" and followed this with The Travelling Wilburys surprise success in 1988. McCartney was sinking and needed something to prevent a future as a nostalgia act.

"Flowers In The Dirt" was it. Co-writing with Elvis Costello gave him an edge he'd not had for a while and, although he didn't completely rein in some of his worst impulses, his decision to assemble an almost supergroup of highly respected musicians and session players proved to be astute, especially when he headed out on the tour that followed later that year, playing Beatles songs and major hits to stadiums. No. 1 in the UK and a steady seller in the US, this album and the hugely successful tour set the ground for McCartney as a senior figure of British music where he could have been a relic.

This album was a comeback after decades of nothing. Unfortunately it was a brief return.

mystery-girl.jpg
Arguably, his career was resuscitated by The Travelling Wilburys and this should have been the glorious next act. Instead it was a posthumous farewell.

304B020C-D519-4272-A723-C3953CD3085E.png

This was such a savvy move considering the muted performance of ‘Wordshaker’

I was thinking Anastacia with her self titled album but apparently Freak of Nature was a bigger hit than I remembered.

Nah. It didn't resuscitate her career. AL was a disappointment yes, but Music & ROL were huge.
She was always slightly up and down but there were no major slumps as such up to and including Confessions. I’ll discreetly pass on saying anything about the POST-Confessions era :)

How about some 80s DIVAS! (sorry if any have been covered already)

445082-Product-0-I-637251576667810680_grande.jpg

20 years after their last charting album, this greatest hits debuted at #1 in 2020 and was followed by 2 studio albums that both peaked at #2

HungryAgain.jpg
Grassisblue.jpg

Little_Sparrow_cover.jpg
Halos-and-Horns-800x600.jpg

These kind of all go together. While always a respected songwriter, Dolly was in danger of slipping into tacky has-been status in the eyes of many, with her commercial chart fortunes dwindling and a string of roles in ill-advised movie flops. She went back to basics and while none of these albums were smash hits, they quietly built back her credibility and each one sold better than the last.

Unfortunately this triumphant era was immediately followed by this cringeworthy shit...

ab67616d0000b273cfa159078c981905767e85f0

Thankfully she delivered another career resuscitation in 2008 with her return to mainstream country :disco:

artworks-000086109208-0eju06-t500x500.jpg

445082-Product-0-I-637251576667810680_grande.jpg

20 years after their last charting album, this greatest hits debuted at #1 in 2020 and was followed by 2 studio albums that both peaked at #2
Never heard of them, so I'm playing their biggest charting single (not really a big hit). They sound like the Australian Indigo Girls maybe?

Never heard of them, so I'm playing their biggest charting single (not really a big hit). They sound like the Australian Indigo Girls maybe?

I entered them into ASFM to a mixture of disgust/indifference :( Indigo Girls is a decent comparison, folky soft-rock but with a gospel/soul influence, especially in their later work (one of the recent #2 albums was all gospel)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom