Old TOTP (BBC4)

So tonight there's another helping of 1976 TOTP Christmas FUN, the BOXING DAY edition

I'm not sure I can STAND IT

Last edited:
Reactions: COB
Tonight it's the TOTP STORY OF 1977

And it's starting as it MEANS TO GO ON with the INIMITABLE 'ROCK BOTTOM' by the lovely LYNSEY DE PAUL

Not only that but ALSO...JOY SARNEY. Naughty Naughty Naughty :rusty:

Last edited:
I'm going to have to watch the whole YEAR'S WORTH now just to see that performance of 'Belfast' in its ENTIRETY

Tina Charles doesn't SWEAT MUCH for a FAT LASS

CALLIN CALLIN
Dr LOVE

Oh my good golliwog

The M are doing DADDY COOL with BOBBY SINGING LIVE to the accompaniment of the DECIDEDLY NON-SWINGING BBC TOTP ORCHESTRA

I just watched that right now. That is one of the most unintentionally hilarious/ bizarre performances I've EVER seen...WTF are they DOING?! :D

I also played it to some friends in the pub tonight. Utterly amazing in EVERY way :D

Have scanned through and relieved to see TOTP comments. I always turn on to find out there was a strike that week! I must have my rose tinted spectacles on as I don't remember it being off air this many times!

That said every time I managed to catch it, good old Barry Biggs was there in a lovely pink nylon suit.

*So let the sideshow begin hurry hurry*

Did they show the one with RAFAELLA CARRA on recently? I meant to watch that

*BAM BAM*
*whiplash*

It was the absolute highlight of the show. Other than Suzi Quatro (DEAD) and one of Bonnie's dreary early ones that wasn't Lost In France or It's A Heartache and I've forgotten already.

Wasn't John Peel's about him shagging a 14 year old when he was 19 or something to that effect?

They'd never have had this problem if more shows had been presented by JANICE LONG!

According to two STOP FUCKING HATE articles (I'll not link) in October last year, there were two different allegations. Both girls aged 15, him being 26 for one and 30 for the other.

It was the absolute highlight of the show. Other than Suzi Quatro (DEAD) and one of Bonnie's dreary early ones that wasn't Lost In France or It's A Heartache and I've forgotten already.

For shame lolly, surely Dee D Jackson's robot, straight from a primary school art class, was a highlight? Complete with a cornflakes packet, washing up liquid bottle and what can only be described as a disused silver ice cube tray bouncing around on it's head.

Also, you can't beat a bit of 'Too much too little too late'.

My last TOTP reference otherwise I'm hijacking Donna's thread. :shy:

Glad Michael Zager Band's 'Let's all chant' was played last night and even more impressed by Legs and Co's ensemble! That's Saturday nights outfit sorted, and afterwards it could be my cleaning outfit. Beats a tabard...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pbrAhefyLVI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

These TOPTs from the golden year of 1979 really are too much. What's with all the Dooleys?

These TOPTs from the golden year of 1979 really are too much. What's with all the Dooleys?

I met someone a while ago who used to be their backing singer. Oh yes. God I live such a CELEBRITY LIFE

The Dooleys are the second group in my timeline of favourite acts

Brotherhood Of Man---The Dooleys---Bucks Fizz

I don't think I ever bought an Abba single or album personally until Greatest Hits Volume Two in the very early nineties.

The TOP OF THE POPS ARCHIVE brings you 1980!

I can't listen to GRANDMA WE LOVE YOU without BLUBBING since SOMEONE put it on the RUNNING ORDER at GRANDMA'S FUNERAL :evil: :(

If I ever find out who was responsible for that HEADS WILL ROLL

Last edited:
Oh my life

What are the BBC ORCHESTRA doing to poor FERN KINNEY?

I can't hear 9 to 5 (Morning Train) without remembering the Not The Nine O'Clock News parody.

"My baby takes the morning bus,
He spends all day with a whore and then..."

I don't much care for SHEENA but I did like her JUMPSUIT

I wish they'd wind the clock back again on TOTP. Now we've arrived at the Steve Wright era. :zombie:

It's on at awkward times as well but I watched the episodes that are on the iPlayer - dead @ Sue Wilkinson. The popstars as guest presenters is exceedingly awkward and annoyingly, they edited out Roger Daltry's homophobic comment about the Village People. :rolleyes: Why try and airbrush history, I mean they kept the leering over "Legs & Co".

The KID'S TV retrospective was quite FUN if you can remember PETER PURVES and CHANTEUSE and STRICTLY SENSATION SOPHIE ELLIS-BEXTOR'S MUM

But the XMAS 1979 TOTP is just WALL-TO-WALL WINNERS :disco: (and also B A ROBERTSON)

We start TOTP 1982 tonight. Not sure how many episodes are Yewtree'd but hopefully fewer than for 1981.

Thanks lolly. I have it on but won't spoil anything. I could watch if not too late but cannot record it.

Actually, tonight the later show is the same length. But usually it's ten minutes longer, so two or three extra performances.

I've been off sick today with a terrible cold, so have utilised the day by catching up on lots of TOTP 1982 recordings. Unfortunately I'm having to endure a long run of Ebony and Ivory at #1 and some terrible terrible football songs with Kevin Keegan at the forefront.

Just saw the funniest episode where they'd finished playing the Ebony and Ivory video, Paul and Linda McCartney had just popped in to say hello to Simon Bates without performing. McCartney ended it by saying "We'd like to say hello to Heather who has just busted her leg" :D

I've been off sick today with a terrible cold, so have utilised the day by catching up on lots of TOTP 1982 recordings. Unfortunately I'm having to endure a long run of Ebony and Ivory at #1 and some terrible terrible football songs with Kevin Keegan at the forefront.

It really is a minefield of absolute classics and absolute SHITE at the moment, isn't it? For every Yazoo 'Don't Go', there's an 'Arthur Daley, ...'E's Alright' :zombie:

Last edited:
The OCCASIONAL series PEOPLE'S HISTORY OF POP reaches the late 80s and early 90s and features a MIDDLE-AGED LESBAIN getting GOOSE BUMPS on hearing Adeva's 'Don't Let It Show On Your Face' again

I caught the end of it (whilst waiting for the Gary Numan film to start :disco: ). I shall have to watch it on catch-up.

I don't know why it took so long, but I'm finally watching old TOTP.

Weren't Kids From Fame terrible?

I fucking LOVED Starmaker. And High Fidelity. And the first two (or possibly three) albums. I rarely left the house not in legwarmers and roller boots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom