Old TOTP (BBC4)

The Childliners line up really was a who's who of artists who'd had a no.4 hit in the last three years.

CJ Lewis!
Nightcrawlers!
Let Loose!
Deuce!
Dannii!

and astonishingly The Backstreet Boys!
And pre fame Peter Andre.

Am I right Danny and Michelle Gayle had beef?

So much to absorb from that Childliners performance. Sean Maguire being a massive twat. Duece evidently getting their prominent placement thanks to sharing management with East 17. Nightcrawlers man looking very confused.

And, most importantly, who was that woman masquerading as Michelle Gayle?

The Annie Lennox dancers are giving me an A.I. impression of "drag queen gets married"

Really scraping ye olde barrel with Sean Maguire doing "You To Me Are Everything". Maybe streaming killing the cover version isn;t so bad.

A particularly generic effort from The Beautiful South. In retrospect, they really were weirdly popular. Still, Paul Heaton is a proper gentleman so anything that kept him buoyant is fine by me.

The Earth Song video. 29 years later, the planet is properly on fire, we're all fucked and this song is a meme after being really badly sung on the X Factor.

Hard to make something written by U2 worth listening to but Tina Turner managed it. I mean, it's not good or anything but Tina Turner could have sung the Nandos menu and I'd have given it a chance.

Really scraping ye olde barrel with Sean Maguire doing "You To Me Are Everything". Maybe streaming killing the cover version isn;t so bad.
M People's Itchycoo Park someone manages to be even worse despite exponentially more talent being expended on it. This is not making me feel proud, Heather.

I love "The Universal". Amazing the speed with which Blur went from being the best band in Britain to uncool and over in 1995. Worked out in the end but only because they made one of the bravest albums ever. Still, let's not run ahead.

"Miss Sarajevo" is genuinely great. The first half of the 90s is easily U2s peak - they made some really great records and really pushed their sound. Then, of course, they shat it and have been almost intolerable ever since.

I'm watching the Childliners thing and I genuinely have no idea who some of these people are. There's literally about 2 people on that stage who could skip a queue to get into a club. Fame is fickle.

The fun of "Free As A Bird" is in spotting all the references to other Beatles songs in the video. The song itself? Well, they did their best with a song that was rejected for "Double Fantasy". Take that as you will.

Oh, I see we skipped an episode because a nonce presented it. What a shame - Pulp doing Disco 2000 does not deserve to stay on the shelf.

Of course, Peel played Everything But The Girl on his show before they were Everything But the Girl (and shortly after). "Missing" really was a proper hit...can you imagine what this would do in the streaming age?

Bjork another one who made her radio debut on Peel's programme with The Sugarcubes debut single "Birthday" topping The Festive 50 in 1987.

I'd forgotten they'd booked Peel so they could get Michael Aspel to do This Is Your Life on him. Shame as it kind of spoiled his closing line "...and remember, nothing below the waist".

The episode with the Mary Kiani Eurovision flop-sounding ballad (WHY when I Imagine was right there?), the Jimmy Nail ballad, the Queen from the grave ballad and Earth Song was a low.

The episode with the Mary Kiani Eurovision flop-sounding ballad (WHY when I Imagine was right there?), the Jimmy Nail ballad, the Queen from the grave ballad and Earth Song was a low.
Mary featuring random bagpiper shoved behind the crowd.

So will we lose a whole month of TOTP in the 1997 and 2003 re runs cos R Kelly is number 1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom