Old TOTP (BBC4)

OMG Saint Et! :disco:

Lady Cracknell perfecting the art of giving everything and nothing at the same time as per.

She was on fine form. Poor Mr Daho appearing on the stage in plenty of time for his bit only for the chaotic camerawork to manage to miss most of it.

I don't remember these Hale & Pace characters...must have been something they were trying to launch that dies on its arse even faster that this Oleta Adams record.

I will withhold my opinion on this Louise song due to recent events and focus on the positives.

I like her hair.

"Where The Wild Roses Grow" is still brilliant too. Smart of Cave to invite Minogue onto one of his haunting but accessible songs. Well, I say accessible, it is about someone getting their head stoved in with a brick...

At this remove, "Camden Town" feels like a dry run for the songs Suggs would write for Madness's "The Liberty Of Norton Folgate". The Madness songs are vastly better than this contrived piffle.

Oh, Kylie got the lyrics right the second time. :D

(the truly eagle-eyed will note that the Bad Seeds lack Blixa Bargeld this time and James Johnston from Gallon Drunk is standing in)

Radiohead's "Lucky" is an exceptional song, all the more so for the group having recorded it in 7 or 8 hours rather than their usual 7 or 8 weeks. But it's hard to watch the footage of injured children from the Bosnian war and consider the concerted effort in the art and music communities to raise money for relief without wondering what the hell has happened to us in the years since.

2 Unlimited well into their diminishing returns era but, if I'm honest, I thought they stopped having hits by about '93 so these repeats have been a constant surprise.

We must be getting close to the end of East 17, surely...the thing with Gabrielle is still to come, I think?

Ah, Queen. Poor Freddie - up there with Elvis and Lennon for the music industry's most viciously drained corpse.

Christ, what a MOTLEY line-up on this Childliners single. :D

Queen Dannii excepted, obviously.

Love that Everything But The Girl's response to scoring a career-saving megahit is to begrudgingly deliver the most half-arsed miming this side of Louise, with a look that suggests they'd literally rather be anywhere else in the world. :D

I was pretty tuned out of Mary Kiani's inevitable flop attempt at a ballad, but then that jump scare BAGPIPE SOLO kicked in! :D

Madonna's Oh Father video being presented as an 'exclusive' - was it not six years old at this point? Or did she only shoot it for the 1995 reissue?

What is this scary Jimmy Nail performance? And the random kid on guitar?

This felt like the dead week between Xmas and new year rather than the last week before Xmas big guns being released the two weeks before Xmas that I’m used to. I mean heck we had performances of new entries at #22, #33 and #35. Mary Kiani must have been thanking her lucky stars that there was so little other chart action!

Reactions: VoR
The music career of Jimmy Nail remains one of the more perplexing events of the era.

Thanks to a PM elsewhere from Eileen (RIP) I guess Märy Kiäni got her ballad broadcasted, equalling her solo appearances on the show with those for her former band The Time Frequency. Surprised she's never been picked up to appear on a reality show - the Valerie Cherish of Scottish dance music.

Is this the period where the Lightning Seeds were selling lost of albums? Can't grudge Ian Broudie - anyone who can work with Ian McCulloch, Bill Drummond and Mark E Smith while remaining sane deserves respect.

Can't do anything but respect Everything But The Girl but good grief Thorn looks uncomfortable. Watt leaning right into it, mind.

This felt like the dead week between Xmas and new year rather than the last week before Xmas big guns being released the two weeks before Xmas that I’m used to. I mean heck we had performances of new entries at #22, #33 and #35. Mary Kiani must have been thanking her lucky stars that there was so little other chart action!

If you looked at the contents of the chart on the countdown during the Queen video, it was CRAWLING with pre-Christmas nonsense - Whigfield’s Last Christmas, Michael Barrymore, Frank Bruno, CHRISTMAS IN BLOBBYLAND…

UB40 truly were shite by this time. Imagine playing this to the 1981 iteration of the group.

Is it just me or does Gangsta's Paradise still "go off"? Just a bit of a tune.

McAlmont and Butler splitting up straight after this single was such a shame. Also gave Butler a reputation for being near-impossible from which he never really recovered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom