Oscars 2020: Who's in the race?

Ugh I’m unimpressed by the 1917 win, it’s good looking but very boring and we’ve seen all this dull shit before.

Ugh I’m unimpressed by the 1917 win, it’s good looking but very boring and we’ve seen all this dull shit before.
Yeah, I'll watch it because it's up for awards, but really I'm so sick of WW1 & 2 films, especially as awards bait.

Garvais' no fucks given Golden Globes monologue was so hysterical. He's never been so funny. I wish we had a Tim Cook reaction shot when he made that Apple sweatshop jibe. And the lecture to the stars at the end did not go do down well at all. Amazing.

I thought it was his usual preeningly yawnsome sub-reddit 'edgy' comedy, but somehow even lazier and more half-arsed than usual. But whatever.

In other news the BAFTA nominations are a complete embarassment and are rightly on the receiving end of a great deal of backlash. It's never a hot look when the head of the academy has to issue an apology AS the nominations are announced.

Margot Robbie getting a nom for “...Hollywood” is absolutely pathetic.

In other news the BAFTA nominations are a complete embarassment and are rightly on the receiving end of a great deal of backlash. It's never a hot look when the head of the academy has to issue an apology AS the nominations are announced.
What? :D why?

No nominees of colour in the four acting categories, while Margot Robbie and Scarlet Johansson are both nominated twice. (Robbie doubles up in Best Supporting Actress for Bombshell and Once Upon a Time In Hollywood, while Johansson is in Lead for Marriage Story and Supporting for JoJo Rabbit).

No women in the directors nominations again.
Should they include one by default? I don't want to sound sexist, but surely there aren't enough women directing, so it's undestandable that maybe the best movies this year are all directed by men? No colour actors, on the other hand, that's a different story and sounds awful. Not because they have to include them per se, I think some performances are worth a nomination.

It's something like seven years in a row with no female directors nominated. And there has usually been at least one worthy contender, including this year. It is absolutely part of the problem that not enough women are given the opportunity to direct, but the films are out there.

Little Women is one of the most acclaimed movies of the year, and is actually making money.

Other viable options would have been Marielle Heller for Welcome To The Neighbourhood, Lorene Scafaria for Hustlers or Kasi Lemmons for Harriet. All acclaimed films that are in the Oscar/Awards conversation elsewhere.

The major losers in terms of the all-white Acting field are Jennifer Lopez for Hustlers, Awkwafina for the Farewell, Eddie Murphy for Dolemite Is My Name, Lupita Nyong'o for Us and Cynthia Erivo for Harriet.

The latter is maybe the most surprising as BAFTA tends to favour British performers, and she's picked up nominations elsewhere. I can only imagine few of the academy members bothered to watch the film.

It is absolutely part of the problem that not enough women are given the opportunity to direct.
Exactly, that's the main issue. I'm not saying movies directed by women aren't worth a nomination, but for each of them there are a dozen of movies directed by men that deserve it too.

Is Antonio Banderas considered latin rather than white? He's Caucasian so I don't know, but add him to the list of notable absences.

Harriet is widely regarded as a bit shit isn't it? 66 on Metacritic is not really awards material, it's no surprise she's not in the director race. Of course they should be making nominations happen for films directed by women though. The industry needs to have its hand forced on this. Award these films, help them make money, show them that women behind the camera are viable. The "not enough films by women directors exist" argument is so passive.

Is Antonio Banderas considered latin rather than white? He's Caucasian so I don't know, but add him to the list of notable absences.

Oh yes. He'd be considered a latin performer so non-white, same as J.Lo.

Of course they should be making nominations happen for films directed by women though.
I was thinking about this, if they separate actors and actress, why not separating the director field? Maybe not enough women directing movies that are worth an award, that's why. What they have to do is to give the opportunity to more women to direct movies.

Well of course women directors shouldn’t be included by default. Structurally the movie industry has worked against them for 100 years, so of course most directors who are at the top of their game are men. It will take at least a generation or more until women are allowed the opportunities that Tarantino and Scorcese have had.

I don't necessarily doubt that the vast majority of the voters were nominating what they believed to be the best performances or the best directed films. The problem is when it's always the same people who get excluded and that comes down to a lack of diversity in the academy. The publically voted Rising Star Award has lots of people of colour.

Not that there aren’t great woman directors but I doubt in my lifetime I’ll ever see a film directed by a woman with 50+ years of experience.

Not that there aren’t great woman directors but I doubt in my lifetime I’ll ever see a film directed by a woman with 50+ years of experience.

Kathryn Bigelow directed her first feature in 1981. She's 68 now, so it's conceivable she could still be directing in 11 years.

And of course we all live in hope that BABS can be compelled to bestow one more narcissistic masterpiece on the world. :disco:

Barbra-Streisand-A-Great-Director-barbra-streisand-6211153-442-550.jpg

We ALL know that 90% of awards nominations are just a sleek marketing campaign from studios who focus on particular candidates that fit the bill (hot actors, hot topics, new projects from acclaimed directors, comebacks, etc) so in that sense Little Women and Greta Gerwig should have been nominated as they fit the bill to a tee and they have been heavily pushed. To a lesser extent same with Harriet, regardless of the quality of the film (like that MATTERS anymore, have you seen what WON last year?!).

I actually think those omissions are more to do with the fact that the majority of the men who vote DO NOT RATE women's stories. Every fucking year there is a bunch of MEN ISSUES films like 1917, The Irishman or Once Upon a Time in Hollywood that soak up all the kudos and attention.

ugh, this conversation again.

i just finished watching the globes (finally! start stopped them so many times the week is over) and popped in to gush over my favouritest two women this year (sorry, they're not only women but they're white) michelle williams and rene zellweger winning. their wins were also the moments of the night for me if for very different reasons too. zellweger slapping away a host's hand to finish her cersei strut through the crowd with unaided ascension up the stairs (sorry to say, but very melania) and shaming the celebs for not calling her in 17 years was just *.*

just watched her in a red carpet interview and i'm totally obsessed. she is lovely.

ugh, do i have to watch what/if or whatever that was called now? :D

ps as for gervais, his woke celebrity jokes have been weaponised by the right wing. they were funny but at the end that is what they accomplished most, hope he's satisfied with his performance.

anything can be weaponised by the right wing loonies, it's not his fault the show was so boring it gave them nothing else to latch onto!

anything can be weaponised by the right wing loonies, it's not his fault the show was so boring it gave them nothing else to latch onto!

i can't agree with that. i don't think it's true.

his critique of celebrities was "you're entitled and out of touch so you shouldn't talk about anything political". what should they do? accept their awards and saunter off? a lot of the people in that room are actively working to make the world a better place. what exactly is he doing? i'd take a minute of michelle williams over a minute of ricky gervais any day.

I think their hypocrisy bears observing doesn't it? If they're flying twice a week in a private jet that's actively undoing any good they might be doing by donating to climate causes. See DiCaprio for instance. If they're talking liberal politics why are they working for GOP donors like Disney? You can do good things while also contributing to bad things. And if you get credit for one you should get attention for both.

Last edited:
Ricky Gervais is a cunt

Ricky Gervais is rich as tits himself so it's all just a bit of fun in January when it's freezing and we're all locked indoors, no? He takes the piss out of himself as well; after all, he's as much a part of Hollywood as anyone else in the room.

I think their hypocrisy bears observing doesn't it? If they're flying twice a week in a private jet that's actively undoing any good they might be doing by donating to climate causes. See DiCaprio for instance. If they're talking liberal politics why are they working for GOP donors like Disney? You can do good things while also contributing to bad things. And if you get credit for one you should get attention for both.

you can't lump them all together. if he has a problem with dicaprio, he and his giant balls are welcome to call him out.
they don't all have private jets and they don't all work for disney. gervais does have a show on netflix though.

It was just so boring and witlessly executed. It was literally as though he just scanned a Reddit rant and recited the most obvious points.

Harvey Weinstein was hiding in plain sight for decades? SHOCKING. Jeffrey Epstein's suicide looks fishy? GROUNDBREAKING.

Tina Fey & Amy Poehler just do it with so much more wit and panache.

The fact that Michelle Williams and Patricia Arquette gave genuinely powerful speeches based on campaigns they've actually given significant time and raised awareness towards for years just made him look even more petty. Sure there's hypocrisy in Hollywood, but what good things has Ricky fucking Gervais contributed to the world?

Also he was defending J. K. Rowling the other day.

With the nominations due any moment now, I'm actually getting a bit sick of the media outlets still lauding The Irishman. It's hogging lots of the acting nomination spots and it's just not going to happen for any of them. I pray the Academy goes a bit leftfield to promote some other films. Uncut Gems fully deserves noms in Lead Actor, Director, Editing and Original Screenplay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom