Portugal 2022: Maro - saudade, saudade

Love that there's a queen in there that appears to literally just be called FADO BITCH :disco:

95677a38-6a86-4fbb-abc9-ae268c6a8b90.png

QUEEN!

I wonder if they win if Graham Norton will translate the name as Fado Faggot for viewers. Bicha can also mean queue. Bitch is ‘cadela’ generally though Brazilians say ‘rapariga’ for bitch too, though in Portugal rapariga is a perfectly innocent word for a younger woman.

Reactions: ZZ
Considered opinions:

Aurea – Why? - Shrieky and formless
Fado Bicha – Povo pequenino - Unlistenable
FF – Como É Bom Esperar Alguém - Musical theatre tosh
Diana Castro – Ginger Ale - Would have been okay as a b-side to a 2001 entry
Kumpania Algazarra – A Minha Praia - Would get points from me at ASFM
MARO – saudade, saudade - Deathly boring
Norton – Hope - Shit
TheMisterDriver – Calisun - Does this shit pass as a bop in Portugal?
Os Quatro E Meia – Amanhã - Own brand Il Volo
Valas & Os Astronautas – Odisseia - Unlistenable and truly repulsive

Milhanas – Corpo de Mulher - Pleasant(ish) but a drunk 3 at best
Blacci – Mar No Fim - *YAWN*
Cubita – Uma Mensagem Tua - Which sex scene in The Room was this the soundtrack to?
Pongo E Tristany – DÉGRÁ.DÊ - Interesting but messy as FUCK
Jonas – Pontas Soltas - Actually quite like this :D
Os Azeitonas – Solta a Voz e Canta - For people who find Danish entries too edgy and challenging
Inês Homem De Melo – Fome de Viagem - Unlistenable. This psycopath belongs in jail
Pepperoni Passion – Código 30 - what
O Vampiro Submarino – Ao Lado de Mim - Who ordered value-range Portuguese bluegrass? Anyone?
Syro – Ainda nos Temos - Eurovision by numbers, which means it's the only logical winner

I agree with WTG though, these three are the standouts in terms of actually having a fucking pulse

I do wish they'd TRY for a bit of a BPM once in a while though. As I understand it, they've tempted quite a few significant local names in the past few years, but they almost all eschew their usual sounds and just lean into the dirgey balladry.

That said, Pongo e Tristany's quest to make Telemovies sound comparatively listenable is currently giving me everything :disco:

Saudade, saudade is lovely. Something like that from Nelly Furtado around about now would be a treat.

And this RACKET from Pongo. It’s sounds more like a Karol Conka knock-off than her usual sound. :disco:

Overall a very FUN 4 WTG selection. Well done Portugal!

Absolutely THIS total racket please if we’re being denied Fado Bicha

Honestly our Portuguese friends really are quite the wilful avant-gardists :disco:

The Saudade performance is a bit disappointing. I was expecting more that gentle clapping in canary yellow.

I hope it gets a bit of a re-work before the final.
I’d say that we all rightly expect a bit more than GENTLE CLAPPING IN CANARY YELLOW (:D) when it comes to LIFE IN GENERAL!

The name PONGO :D

Brings to mind a multitude of :disco: possibilities

The origins are genuinely rather sad. :(

Her father was very strict and wouldn't let Pongo and her sisters have a social life. Finding it hard to endure these difficulties, at 12 years old she threw herself from the seventh floor of the building where she lived, sustaining injuries and breaking a leg. During the initial phases of her recovery, she couldn't walk and her father nicknamed her M'Pongo Love, after the name of a Congolese singer very well known in Angola who had endured a period where she couldn't walk because of an unsuccessful polio treatment.[6]

When do we get a result? Do they play all the songs backwards during the interval (:disco:) while the televoters are choosing their favourite catchy pop entry?

degra.de sounds like it has a backwards accordion thing going on when the rhythm gets going. All gets a bit Kimmo Pohjonen having a turn :disco:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom