Portugal 2023: Mimicat – Ai Coração

Soldi

Πάμε put your hands up
Pronouns
He/him
All 20 songs are out, I’m sure @ButterTart is thrilled

Pink-haired lady who finished last in 2018 is back.

*sighs deeply and rolls up sleeves*

Gonna post intial thoughts here as I power through this.

April Ivy – Modo Voo​

80s synths and a hint of a tempo! Promising start! Verses promise more than the chorus delivers though, her voice sounds very thin and autotuned. Can't see it doing anything.

Bandua – Bandeiras​

The first of what I'm expecting to be several moody Fado numbers. Not bad, I like the harmonies and percussion. Doesn't feel competitive though.

Bárbara Tinoco – Goodnight​

I believe this one is something of a name? It's very professional and winsome, but doesn't sound very Portuguese and a bit too twee for my liking. A possible contender.

BOLHA – Sonhos de Liberdade​

Jazzy noodling. Presumable Fun4Portuguese chin strokers, but chanceless in a Eurovision setting.

Churky – Encruzilhada​

Churky?! :shock: Odd name aside, this has fairly uninteresting (to me) Britpop vibes.

Cláudia Pascoal – Nasci Maria​

Oh this is quite interesting actually! Dare I say a fado ethnobop? Quite interesting structure and more energy than her (BEAUTIFUL) 2018 effort. I can see going back to this.

DAPUNKSPORTIF – World Needs Therapy​

Is Britpop still a big deal in Portugal? This has some life about it, but again it's not for me.

Edmundo Inácio – A Festa​

More passionate Fado. It again has a bit of a tempo, and I quite liked it while hearing it, but I'm not sure I'd play it at a 'festa' of my own...

Esse Povo – Sapatos de Cimento​

Oh this is QUITE FUN as tuneless bangers go :disco:

INÊS APENAS – Fim do Mundo​

Interesting tempo changes between the verses and the chorus, but none of it really sticks.

Ivandro – Povo​

Good voice and I could definitely see this working live, but it's kind of a standard-issue Fado ballad to my ears. Would be a step back after last year.

Lara Li – Funâmbula​

Old lady with a sad ballad. Not much to see here.

Mimicat – Ai Coração​

Oh this is QUIRKY. Could be fun, could get tiresome, but on balance I think I like it.

MoYah – Too Much Sauce​

Well this is a CURIO. Why do they sound so London? Also a skimpy two minutes! Different, but not competitive, surely?

Neon Soho – Endless World​

Bit house-y(?), but ultimately noodly filler.

SAL – Viver​

Nice harmonies I guess? That's all I've got.

Teresinha Landeiro – Enquanto é tempo​

If you looked up 'typical FDC filler entry' in some kind of gay dictionary, you'd get this. Pretty, but dull.

The Happy Mess – O Impossível​

Noodly nonsense. NEXT!

Voodoo Marmalade – Tormento​

My patience is very much waning now...

You Can't Win, Charlie Brown – Contraste Mudo​

The band-name is interesting. The song is not.

Last edited:
I think Ivandro will be in the mix. ‘Povo’ is not his best song, but he was the most popular Portuguese act on streaming last year.

I would have preferred something more similar to ‘Lua’ from him.

OK having sat through them all, I've attempted to whittle out all the ones that won't win and basically sound identical. Here's what's left.

This one seems like a good bet to win. He's locally famous, has a nice voice, it could stand out if stuck between two choreographed pop numbers in Liverpool. Nothing thrilling, but solid and very on brand.

Every year they have one that sounds more French than Portuguese, and this quirky chanson is that. Borderline annoying, but with a strong stage show it could do something?

Claudia from 2018 with a fairly interesting little mix of Fado and Balkan beats which might be my personal favourite.

The closest thing to a banger, but sadly the chorus doesn't quite deliver.

This could do well but I'm really NOT FOND. Think Growing Up Is Getting Old meets John Lewis.

This is straight out of 2005/1995 but has a touch of LIFE to it at least

And finally this one is quite the CURIO

Brazilian yes, European not so much.
I speak the European version accent wise having lived there and find it far nicer to listen to, though I like both. Brazilian Portuguese is easier for learners to understand though.

Are they first or second semi? I could totally see Mimicat qualifying from the second.

This is the early leader from the second semi final qualifiers on Youtube views. It screams stuck in the semis, but for what it is, it's quite good.

Also lovely Claudia from their criminally underrated 2018 entry actually has more views than Mimicat in terms of Semi One, so she should be a contender. Also screams stuck in the semis, but I do find it quite BEGUILING. Is it ART?

Does Portugal ever not scream "stuck in the semis"?

Haven’t they had a relatively solid qualification record of late?

To be fair I think some of their recent qualifiers still screamed "stuck in the semis" at this stage.

Is there a FAVOURITE to represent Portugal this year? You'd think they'd want to send something GOOD after the near runaway-success of Maro last year.

I'm obviously pulling for Mimicat, as I think it would be a fantastic little Eurovision entry but I do not trust Portugal to choose it :D

Claudia covers a lot of the same ground as Spain does this year for me, and its VERY repetitive, SORRY!

Is there a FAVOURITE to represent Portugal this year? You'd think they'd want to send something GOOD after the near runaway-success of Maro last year.

The main favourites seem to be Claudia, Mimicat, Edmundo Ignacio and to a lesser extent Ivandro.

Mimicat is the fave in polls and streaming but Edmundo has the most YouTube views.

Portugal have been jury faves recently and snuck into the final the Trump way. They may struggle with just semi televotes (which I think is a terrible idea!)

Maro qualified comfortably on televote last year. If the song is good enough, they'll be fine.

I didn't realise that. I presumed she was jury loaded.
The jury did like it more. It came 4th with the jury and 6th with the televote. It's not like it was a Switzerland, which came 5th with the jury and 16th with the televote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom