Post an all-round TERRIBLE Eurovision entry

This is always my default choice for most hilariously inept Eurovision entry.

Everything about it, from the flop pink blazer WARDROBE CHOICES, to the completely out-of-his-depth performer, to the song that goes NOWHERE - and he beat out Selma, Agurbash, Glennis Grace, Omar Nabar (RIP :( ), Laura and the Lovers AND Donna and Joe to snatch a qualification slot!

I adore this too, although I do recognise that it is objectively terrible. :D

LEYLALALEYLA!

Unbelievably almost 30 seconds shorter than 3 minutes!

I'm sorry but this is the ULTIMATE TROLL WITH A KEY CHANGE. I find it hilarious but I can see why others find it HORRIBLE.:D

WRONG !

this is absolutely essential. Probably one of the chubbiest statements ever in the contest

omg this was a typo and I meant cLubbiest, however I also think he is extremely cute so I’m going to post the video again.

my favourite bit of the song is where it all comes together musically at 2:38

What happened here then?
I will post this from a blog as it describes it perfectly. I remember on the early days of the internet playing this song on Winamp and crying :(

Picture the scene. It's early evening on 31st December 1999 in a dusty radio studio somewhere in downtown Bucharest. An eager-to-please disc-jockey is preparing to play in the new year with some of the usual classics and hits, but before that, he wants to present a track he's been sent by a new, up-and-coming young artist. Her people claim she's the Romanian Britney Spears, and apparently she's going to be huge. And our hero has got the exclusive first play of this new record.

He slides the CD into the player, links into the track and Bucharest hears 'Step Back' for the very first time.

And that's that, perhaps one of the most famous missed opportunities in recent Eurovision history. Paula Seling is instantly disqualified from the Romanian Final, the producers being incredibly strict about the rules, particularly the 1st January cut-off as it was back then. For one man's error and the want of waiting just a few hours, Romanian TV loses one of its first real contenders.

The incident is notorious in fan circles. Whether the story really went down as described is debateable and probably unverifiable. Whether it would have won what was likely a deeply rigged national final is equally uncertain. And as for its chances at Eurovision, it would have had to compete against Alsou and Ines for the Britney-votes – a tough fight in 2000.

Of course, we will never know. It's still a damn good little pop song though

I can barely watch 30 seconds of it. (Mount Samoylova that is).

This really is as bad as it gets for me. The sound of a country just not giving even the mildest shit. Thank God they revamped Eesti Laul and had a massive glow-up the following year.

This really is as bad as it gets for me. The sound of a country just not giving even the mildest shit. Thank God they revamped Eesti Laul and had a massive glow-up the following year.
I guess there's a wider question of whether "comedy" entries qualify for this, as they're not always trying to be good.

For me there's a place for comedy entries if they're genuinely funny and/or subversive. But when it's just three fat pricks lazily shoved onstage to shout nonsense, what's the point?

I actually don't hate Leto Svet but I honestly couldn't tell you why. Same for Cipela and Lost and Forgotten.

Are we seriously having exactly the same Telemóveis argument AGAIN? That awful @ButterTart is just jealous because all members of the Mopsy Arty Club INCLUDING MYSELF OBVIOUSLY are rich and popular with exceptional taste. Well, either that or he secretly wants to fuck Conan :tongueout:

I feel most of us will STILL BE HERE in thirty years time going round and round in circles about Telemóveis, a FABULOUS song that gained 51 points in a Eurovision semi-final :D

The glow up from Leto Svet to Rändajad is... pretty remarkable :disco:

The song itself and the fact that it DENIED US NANNE AT EUROVISION.

I don't hate Martin though, he has since redeemed himself with 7milakliv and Lat Skiten brinna but Las Vegas was absolutely awful.

God I rewatched this recently, and it really is excruciating. It's like cruise ship entertainment.

Did the Swedish public actually VOTE for it? It feels like it really was IMPOSED upon SOCIETY by the higher-ups for some god-forsaken reason that nobody understands. Not to mention that 2005 is a legendary MF Las Vegas aside, AND Las Vegas itself is HARDLY an aspirational place to base a song upon :D

The Stenmarck thing COMPLETELY baffles me. There've been other Swedish entries where I've disliked them, but understood why they won. I have no idea what the Swedes thought they saw in Las Vegas.

He was only 4,000 votes ahead of the third placed song in the final that year (The equally noxious A DIFFERENT KIND OF LOVE :zombie:) which would have handed Nanne the victory. A truly tragic final outcome. :(

God I rewatched this recently, and it really is excruciating. It's like cruise ship entertainment.

Did the Swedish public actually VOTE for it? It feels like it really was IMPOSED upon SOCIETY by the higher-ups for some god-forsaken reason that nobody understands. Not to mention that 2005 is a legendary MF Las Vegas aside, AND Las Vegas itself is HARDLY an aspirational place to base a song upon :D

They voted for him, yeah - but Nanne really ran away with the public vote. She had almost 25% of the total televote, Stenmarck was second with 13% (barely ahead of Wennergren)- but it was the old point conversion system, so she got 132 and he got 110 and the juries went too big on Stenmarck for her to make up the difference.

It really was the biggest "Fel Låt Vann" (wrong song won) story in modern MF.

Do Portuguese people actually like this? It’s beyond BAFFLING???!
When I was in Portugal, all I heard was normal, interesting music. I think their delegation has boxed themselves into a 'REEL MUZIK' corner and have totally lost touch with what enjoyable, competitive songs sound like. Everything in their final this year was varying shades of non-qualifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom