Price rises/ inflation

It does feel to me more than ever though that most of their "clubcard prices" are entirely MADE UP because the original price they're suggesting is ridiculous in the first place. It's all very "Clubcard Price tin of beans only 50p, original price £9.99, wow what a deal aren't we GREAT you guys?". Some of them are so transparently meaningless it's laughable.

DON'T GET ME STARTED WITH MY NECTARINES STORY

I’m rather lucky as the M&S Foodhall in Stratford is huge and amazing. It’s right at the entrance when you get out from the station, so early in the morning you get all the great yellow sticker reductions, and by the time I finish work a whole bunch more are reduced. My fav one was a whole pack of pre-prepared vegetables ready to stick in the oven to roast, £4 reduced to 71p.

Oh DO SHARE. Nothing quite like a supermarket con to cheer you up of an afternoon

It's a running joke on here. Someone (I forget who) laughs at how indignant I got about ten years ago that Sainsbury's had nectarines at BETTER THAN HALF PRICE at £2.50 and I would always go fucking mental about how no one ever paid a fiver for four nectarines.

Except now, £5 for four nectarines is probably NOT ridiculous!

Well the ones I got last week were quite delicious. Their foodhall is quite brilliant as they do specials on certain fruit & veg each week. The other week it was large bags of sweet potatoes for 65p

They also have free satsumas for parents to grab. Out of principle I have never taken any.

I have eaten
the nectarines
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and £5

It does feel to me more than ever though that most of their "clubcard prices" are entirely MADE UP because the original price they're suggesting is ridiculous in the first place. It's all very "Clubcard Price tin of beans only 50p, original price £9.99, wow what a deal aren't we GREAT you guys?". Some of them are so transparently meaningless it's laughable.

Of course I'm still a sucker for it occasionally because yes it's nice to see the total shaved off a bit, but mostly only bother if I 100% wanted it anyway or if the offer doesn't feel like a con in the first place.

I much prefer dashing to the reduced BINS and eagerly grasping sweaty old bags of spinach and battered tins of tomatoes etc :disco:
You'll have to elbow ME out of the way first BITCH :disco:

It still amazes me how DIRT CHEAP carrots are. You can buy them en masse for about 30p! I like to eat them raw as they're surprisingly filling to snack on, but we decided the other day to make a carrot thai curry just to see what it was like and it was delicious and cost barely a thing (as long as you've got some cupboard staples that is - otherwise the coconut milk was the biggest expense there).

I mean I get they're not the most exciting things but at that price they become VERY EXCITING :)
Calling the TOPPY CARROT gang @Soldi @Ag

Where MADAME X leads and all THAT :disco:

CARROT UP!

And the highest inflation in Eurozone for months is in…Estonia.👏👏👏 Whenever outrageous prices are involved we are in the lead.

Now whenever they’re having AMAZING DISCOUNTS for things the discount price is what the normal price used to be.🤡

My tip of the week is that my local Tesco seem to use Friday night to put out a huge container crate thing of dented cans and other assorted oddments.

Twice now I’ve done a Friday night shop and been there just as they’ve put it out and the prices are ludicrous- 30p for 4 cans of Napolena chopped tomatoes just cause the cardboard box thing was split, 10p cans of slightly dented Heinz beans, 25p bottle of olive oil cause the label had been damaged by another bottle clearly having broken next to it and leaving a greasy stain. Insane, but not complaining…

NKowas6.jpg

These used to cost like 1.29 for YEARS. Then when the price hike came they were over 2 euros which was already outrageous and now 3 euros. A small box of POTATOES!

Several months ago I got myself one of those Tesco Clubcard Pay+ cards, it's a prepaid debit card that gives Clubcard points wherever you use it. You also get double points in Tesco for the first two months. Although you only get 1 point for every £8 spent in other shops there's something satisfying about using it in Morrisons and getting Morrisons points too. It also came in very handy in hospital because I knew that if it got nicked the thief would have less than a tenner to spend and I just used to top it up from my internet banking on my phone when it was running low. Those £3.55 hot chocolates from the WRVS cafe were lush. If I have to make any big purchases I transfer the money and pay using that because every little helps right now.

1 point for every £8? I'm sure my old Tesco credit card used to be 1 point for £2.

So what sort of price increases are we seeing? I'm pretty much noticing 20-25% across the board which is pretty horrific.

I’m rather lucky as the M&S Foodhall in Stratford is huge and amazing. It’s right at the entrance when you get out from the station, so early in the morning you get all the great yellow sticker reductions, and by the time I finish work a whole bunch more are reduced. My fav one was a whole pack of pre-prepared vegetables ready to stick in the oven to roast, £4 reduced to 71p.

I used to live right near a Waitrose and going in at certain points on Sunday and of evenings was such a thrill finding this treasure trove of delights. I mean I shopped in there anyway for odds and sods and little treats but never a full on shop (although in fairness their basics range tends to be very competitive and usually of better quality than other supermarket equivalents)

So what sort of price increases are we seeing? I'm pretty much noticing 20-25% across the board which is pretty horrific.

Branded tinned dog food has increased by 50%. It used to cost me £1 a day for Ridley's wet food and now it's £1.50 a day.

This sounds about right for a large chunk of products here. Particularly meat, dairy, cards. I feel its not as bad for vegetables and beverages but it's been a sharp increase on the whole.

Not confirmed yet, but extremely likely.

The MPC also forecasts real post-tax household income to fall 2.25% next year. It hasn’t fallen that sharply for 70 years.

There’s another way to this also, products having the same price but then you notice they have made the packages smaller or the content lighter.

Reactions: GNL
Recession confirmed :zombie:

Forcing a recession with high rates to bring down inflation (when the inflationary pressure is significantly from global forces)? Good luck with that.

Cannot help but think the MPC doesn't know how to react to these circumstances other than to hike rates, which feels a little like taking a paracetamol when your head is on fire.

Forcing a recession with high rates to bring down inflation (when the inflationary pressure is significantly from global forces)? Good luck with that.

Cannot help but think the MPC doesn't know how to react to these circumstances other than to hike rates, which feels a little like taking a paracetamol when your head is on fire.

The same strategy is being used in EU, US and here as well.

What should be done instead? Genuine question as I thought the applied strategy was the only way out to calm down demand.

Although the demand is for essentials like fuels and food so what are we supposed to do, eat less and freeze?

The same strategy is being used in EU, US and here as well.

What should be done instead? Genuine question as I thought the applied strategy was the only way out to calm down demand.
I have no idea - but I look at interest rate hikes taking nothing out of inflation (unless these go much, much higher) but putting up mortgage repayments, which makes people suffer even more (include renters who will end up paying for the extra obligations of their landlords).

I have no idea - but I look at interest rate hikes taking nothing out of inflation (unless these go much, much higher) but putting up mortgage repayments, which makes people suffer even more (include renters who will end up paying for the extra obligations of their landlords).

Yes but from what I understand, the goal is to make people spend less, but by the look of it they’re going to end up making a mess of it on all levels.

Yes but from what I understand, the goal is to make people spend less, but by the look of it they’re going to end up making a mess of it on all levels.
But if the problem is supply driven (not enough oil, grain etc.) then reducing how much people are spending is hardly any use, is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom