Róisín Murphy's Career DEAD (Cause: TERFism)

I don't think so darling. Jessie seems strongly invested in the LGBTQ+ community, I don't think she's that kinda gal.

It’s already out there:basil:

that seemed like a lot of 1+1=5 to me at the time, unless there's more to it than mentioned there.

Reactions: GNL
that seemed like a lot of 1+1=5 to me at the time, unless there's more to it than mentioned there.

I know which is why I posted the whole thread

what is a thread? scream. I don't use twitter, I only see what's embedded here

Re: trans rights, this Jessie interview from earlier this year is QUITE PROMISING -

Ware has always had a queer fanbase, but it’s been boosted exponentially in the last few years. It’s something she tells me she takes seriously. I ask her whether politics is part of her allyship, particularly at a time of rising homophobia and transphobia, and whether she thinks about how she uses her platform. “I’m still learning how to use my allyship,” she says. “I mean, yes, I create music and it’s enjoyed and I feel protective of the LGBTQ+ community, but I’m sure there’s more I could be doing. It’s kind of a beautiful new relationship.”

She says that she’s attended London protests against the far right and their targeting of trans people and drag queen story hours, but struggles to articulate her activism publicly. “I don’t ever want it to feel performative,” she says. “I’m trying to do my bit, but first and foremost it’s music that I’m giving, then learning and listening. But I’m sure there’s a lot more that I’ll do. I know my responsibility.”

This is devastating :(

There are few things worse in the cultural sphere that finding out someone whose work you love is a total ratbag. And it's sheer dumb luck too - as a teenage Morrissey fan, I refuse to mock the Harry Potter fans who cling to their figurines and replica wands because it is very hard to let go of that initial emotional investment. I mean, anyone still buying that shit is another matter but that's also another topic.

In part two of SPECULATE WILDLY ABOUT JESSIE WARE: Her dad is John Ware the BBC and Jewish Chronicle journo who did the hack job about Corbyn being a rabid antisemite :eyes:

I used to be a huge Nicki Minaj fan, until around the Queen era she started that dreadful radio show and outed herself as a really horrible human being. I barely listen to her at all anymore, or I don't ever the feel desire to...

but Róisín's music has been way more important to me over the years. there are songs on Overpowered and Roisin Machine that I don't think I can NOT have in my life. genuine question: how to navigate this? is to still stream her music (not the new stuff) an endorsement of her transphobia? do the pre-cunt era Morrissey fans still stream his stuff?

My knowledge of her and her work is minimal, but I had no idea how LGBTQ+ -centered her audience was. I know she's not exactly 'mainstream' but I still thought she had some kind of broader appeal? Cuz if not, then it's lights out for her.

she also consistently gets festival spots, and has a great touring reputation with probably a slightly wider audience than is actually streaming her music. this album I would've guessed would debut uk top 10.

I can see her continuing to get gigs but it's going to be impossible for her to sell records or shift 5-10k vinyl in a week since the LGBTQ+s fund that side of things SINGLE HANDEDLY!

Reactions: COB
I used to be a huge Nicki Minaj fan, until around the Queen era she started that dreadful radio show and outed herself as a really horrible human being. I barely listen to her at all anymore, or I don't ever the feel desire to...

but Róisín's music has been way more important to me over the years. there are songs on Overpowered and Roisin Machine that I don't think I can NOT have in my life. genuine question: how to navigate this? is to still stream her music (not the new stuff) an endorsement of her transphobia? do the pre-cunt era Morrissey fans still stream his stuff?
You could torrent and download the tracks if you don't already own the physicals. :basil:

I won't do anything that gives Morrissey money. As I don't stream, that's easy; I may occasionally listen to The Smiths CDs and LPs that I own although it's been a while. If you've only ever streamed, well, download some MP3s from Soulseek or somesuch.

Movie Star is one of my very favourites, but hopefully someone will just AI an Annie Lennox or Heidi Montag vocal over it soon. Box office poison now of course. The fact that its responce is pinning that and absolutely no concern for the distress among fans.

Oh dear at all this.

The material from the new album has not been all that, which should make the decision to cancel those pre-orders by her former fanbase less of a wrench.

Poor Ninja Tune, they'll have to get a new Bicep album sharpish to recover their losses. :(

maybe worth noting this has not made the news at all so far - google has one result, from "sportskeeda", so anyone not actively on twitter/forums won't know about Roisin being a unfortunate terf. the number of pre-orders being cancelled might not be that many yet. I guess this is their exact strategy - radio silence, don't address it, hope she can score a big first week.

in the end she'll be as vocal as JK Rowling... these people can't help themselves

Are we just not going to get any promotion for the album in the 2 weeks before release, then? That seems odd, but I guess promo risks stoking the fire in terms of something which isn't really out there as a story, as you say, becoming a big one.

I'm guessing an act like her has lots of first week sales locked in from pre-orders way before now. But I do think her fanbase are the sort who may be more active on social media though to be aware of it, and also may be more politically active in terms of cancelling orders.

It will be interesting to see how this affects her her career, but presumably it will be her touring and live performances where she really suffers.

This is such a shame and I'm struggling to say much because I've enjoyed a lot about Roisin's music for decades.

The puberty blocker stuff is definitely a nuanced discussion and particular to each individual. In just two years working with teenagers I've seen a variety of gender journeys. I've never witnessed anything "too late". "Leaving kids alone" is akin to ignoring them. They need a tremendous amount of support and positive affirmation.

Perhaps it should be made clearer that there are no irreversible effects of puberty blockers. The problem as ever is in the name. Plus it's hardly like puberty is FUN.

She isn't quite full on TERF there YET, she isn’t quite at the point of ranting about toilets and the like. But she certainly lacks nuance. I hope she can be educated rather than just cancelled, which tends to send them down a horrible Linehan path.

Last edited:
maybe worth noting this has not made the news at all so far - google has one result, from "sportskeeda", so anyone not actively on twitter/forums won't know about Roisin being a unfortunate terf. the number of pre-orders being cancelled might not be that many yet. I guess this is their exact strategy - radio silence, don't address it, hope she can score a big first week.

in the end she'll be as vocal as JK Rowling... these people can't help themselves
It's really odd that Pink News / Attitude haven't run anything, but not that weird that the mainstream press haven't because most people do not know who the fuck she is

She'd have to make a lot more noise about being 'cancelled for speaking out' for them to take notice, at which point the Mail and Telegraph et al would absolutely embrace her. And she may well pick up a whole new LGB Alliance n' GB News fanbase too. Although whether they'd actually pay to come to her gigs / buy her vinyl instead of just tweeting their support would remain to be seen

Last edited:
It's really odd that Pink News / Attitude haven't run anything, but not that weird that the mainstream press haven't because most people do not know who the fuck she is
She's absolutely small fry and it would be good to see the press learning and not reporting every terf being terfy, thus giving them more platforms and a ready audience for their "Cancellation" tour.

That's a damn good point. It's odd by previous standards, but not a bad thing

This is such a shame and I'm struggling to say much because I've enjoyed a lot about Roisin's music for decades.

The puberty blocker stuff is definitely a nuanced discussion and particular to each individual. In just two years working with teenagers I've seen a variety of gender journeys. I've never witnessed anything "too late". "Leaving kids alone" is akin to ignoring them. They need a tremendous amount of support and positive affirmation.

Perhaps it should be made clearer that there are no irreversible effects of puberty blockers. The problem as ever is in the name. Plus it's hardly like puberty is FUN.

She isn't quite full on TERF there YET, she isn’t quite at the point of ranting about toilets and the like. But she certainly lacks nuance. I hope she can be educated rather than just cancelled, which tends to send them down a horrible Lineham path.
I wonder if she has fully informed herself before stating an opinion? I have to assume she has but the words “puberty blockers” would definitely raise most people’s eyebrows, I certainly looked twice at them but looked into it more to understand it which I’m sure many don’t. It’s that issue of getting the general public to look beyond the eye catching headlines. Still, it’s very disappointing from her, I do love a lot of her music.

Speaking purely personally here but I think that's a pretty decent statement, she addresses just about everything I'd have wanted her to (though maybe she could've gone more into the whys and wherefores of how she came to the view she expressed). I think there's been too much damage done for me to accept it at face value, but it's definitely a good start.

What a HORRENDOUS apology.

She's not sorry at all for her views, just that people now know them.

This is entirely keeping with her personality. That she has said she will say no more on the subject is pretty much what I expected.

It's really up to you as an individual if you think that statement is enough to warrant that you continue to support her as an artist.

Reactions: COB
There is definitely a glaring lack of any kind of recognition that she might have a bit more learning to do on this subject.

“I knew my friends were informed about the topic” - i.e. unlike you idiots. (But please keep buying my records, I’m not bold enough to die on this hill)”

Also:

it's a pretty cynical statement and the only positive that can be drawn from it is her vow NOT to become JK Rowling and use her platform to publicly make life difficult for trans people. making this her ENTIRE PERSONALITY would hardly be out of character for these loonies. if she doesn't do that then... good.

but saying "music will never exclude any of us" rings ridiculously hollow. also that other ig account that was potentially her has now gone private and changed their bio name to Susan *not* Roisin Murphy. I think this cis lady doth protest too much!!!

Maybe I misunderstood, but I took the "I knew my friends were informed" bit to mean she was putting her view out there for her more-informed friends to see where she was at, and potentially educate/push back (as in, she's saying she understands she's not well informed on the subject). I could be entirely wrong, but that's how I took it on my first reading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom