Sam Ryder - Somebody

VoR

Take it or leave it
The all-important post Eurovision single.

It's not for me, but I think it seems like the kind of thing that might be a hit, I guess. I wish him well :)

He sounds like he's gone down the Tom Grennan / Tom Walker / George Ezra route, which will pretty much guarantee him a radio hit. It's all a bit samey to me, but I'd take any of that over an Ed Sheeran direction, so no hate from me.

It needs to go higher than #35 to out-peak the iconic MY MAN by Jade Ewen, which I believe was the last follow-up single by a UK Eurovision entrant to do anything at all.

I imagine he's got a good chance of booking some good promo spots just because he's so damn affable. The new single is perfectly pleasant enough, if nothing I can imagine actively seeking out. But if anyone is going to have success with that, I hope it's him.

Last edited:
Reactions: VoR
Yeah sounds like it has the ingredients to be a hit. Wouldn’t seek it out to listen to it myself but sounds like the kind of thing that could grow on me if I’m exposed to it enough like George Ezra rather than growing off me like Sheeran.

Other than Jade Ewen, one other 21st Century UK person has had a post-Eurovision Top 40 hit.

Anyone know who?

His pre-Spaceman EP had some more interesting songs but you can't blame him for taking a radio friendly, if safe, tilt.

What happened to the Guetta thing?

I did find out a little nugget of info about him recently from local sources. It's probably not that shocking or devastating but it does take the shine off him a little.

This sounds alright and not the worst attempt to follow up.

It's Radio 1's tune of the week, so I guess they'll keep supporting him for the time being.

This sounds like Radio 1 and 2 will both kick the living shit out of it, so I’m expecting a moderate hit. Plus, he’ll promote it which means a few weeks of people being reminded that he’s the nicest person in history.

Not for me either - lets have some EDM collabs (a la rent a vocalist Ella Henderson) or a duet with Alina Pash.

Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors DONK REMIX feat. SAM RYDER.
WHAT A SONG. She walked (or rather flew by airplane into occupied Crimea) so the Orchestra could RUN

Not a peep on the Spotify chart for this, despite it being track 2 on the New Music Friday playlist.

In at #77 this week, and after making it a tune of the week last Friday, Radio 1 have declined to playlist it.

He has moved up to A list on Radio 2, though.

It’s quite a disappointing follow up to Spaceman. I’m not surprised it hasn’t done well, which is a shame as I really like Sam and was hoping for a lot better. :(

He does have an album and tour coming up to be fair, and will no doubt be all over the contest next year.

Is this the sort of song that radio usually jumps on? I have only listened a couple of times so it may grow, but I am not all that enthused to play it again. Hopefully Spaceman was big enough that it will sell albums itself, or are we getting another single before the album?

It does feel like the kind of thing that’s usually all over the radio. I do wonder whether there’s going to be actual promotion that kicks in in a few weeks. I don’t know how it works these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom