Sam Ryder - Somebody

Better clip here

I’m really not sure how bothered Parlophone are about “Somebody” with this new release when this new one was planned for months. Yeah Sam kinda promoted at the start it but he’s kinda stopped and appears more focused on his festivals and still pulling huge crowds. I thought Radio 2 removed “Somebody” from their playlist but they put it on the A List instead.

I like the sound of the Sigala x David Guetta but the production doesn’t sound like a Sigala track, he is normally sunshine, summer and rainbows.

It was a ballad the demo was leaked last year so it’ll be interesting to hear it as EDM. It was a really good song and felt very finished imo so I’m surprised it was sold on to them. You’ll recognise the songwriter if you’re from the UK.

Last edited:
It needs to go higher than #35 to out-peak the iconic MY MAN by Jade Ewen, which I believe was the last follow-up single by a UK Eurovision entrant to do anything at all.

Best song ever.

What a JOLLY couple of new members we have on our hands here.

HEY @MegaDolly and @Tillyxx xxx
I’m not being negative, I support Sam and his music unlike others online who like to criticise him all the time. I really like Sigala and his trademark summery EDM music but to me, it doesn’t sound like one of his songs from the preview. That’s not a criticism it’s an observation. It’s also not untrue it started as a sadboy ballad.

Last edited:
Are you also @Tillyxx hun?

No? Since “Somebody” was released people have waited for it to flop to post things like “well I really wanted him to do well but yep this proves he’s a one-hit wonder” (not on here). I read the Eurovision thread after the contest and all people did at the start was complain.

Trust me I want the Sigala & David Guetta song to be good as on paper it should be. There’s an extended clip on the TikTok sound I’ll try and post it.

Last edited:
Trust me I want the Sigala & David Guetta song to be good as on paper it should be. There’s an extended clip on the TikTok sound I’ll try and post it.

It’s OK Dolly, I trust you with all my being.

Season 10 Hug GIF by Friends

He’s recorded a acoustic version. I wonder if his label plan on it being a slow burn over the next month or so before his album? Maybe he will sing it on a TV show like Strictly Come Dancing or The One Show. Lots of songs are slow burners. I remember loads of people moaned they hadn’t heard Space Man before Eurovision night. I’m worried for his new song “Living Without You”… I like David Guetta and Sigala separately but I’m not sure how a co-produced song will sound. The clip sounds ok but I hope hope hope it’s not a generic dance song with forgettable lyrics.
He’s definitely doing ‘Cilla’s Moment of Truth’. Not sure about Strictly yet.

His new song is pretty steady in Apple Music. Is there a page for the other new song? I have 0 fans myself but Sam’s fanbase i stg are dumb he posts something with frickin David Guetta and they go “aww Sam hun you are so funny xxx” but have no clue he’s made a song with him and Sigala. It’s not a surprise his new song isn’t doing great I bet not many of them even know he released a new song last week or whenever.

Last edited:
The album is out on 18th November now, and they have changed the main artwork

https://eurostore.warnermusic.com/uk/artists/sam-ryder.html

Tracklisting:

1. ‘Deep Blue Doubt’

2. ‘Space Man’

3. ‘Somebody’

4. ‘Tiny Riot’

5. ‘All the Way Over’

6. ‘OK’

7. ‘Put a Light on Me’

8. ‘Whirlwind’

9. ‘Ten Tons’

10. ‘More’

11. ‘Crashing Down’

12. ‘This Time’

13. ‘Lost in You’

14. ‘Living Without You’ [feat. Sigala & David Guetta]and

A few songs there from the pre-Space Man EP.

Even with the somewhat lukewarm response to the latest two I imagine he will get good promo and a nice top five album in week one, which all things considered is a resounding success.

Even with the somewhat lukewarm response to the latest two I imagine he will get good promo and a nice top five album in week one, which all things considered is a resounding success.

Well.. it will be if it actually happens

Releasing deep in the most competitive time of the year won't help him, even if the Christmas market isn't what it was a few years ago.

I don’t think the lukewarm response has anything to do with him being less popular or losing any momentum as a solo artist, and more to do with both of the new songs being utter tosh

I wonder if it was pushed back to coincide with a Strictly performance

Do Strictly performance generally help chartwise? I remember once upon a time X Factor performances were big on helping people surge to the top of the charts and although Strictly was always arguably more popular I can’t really remember any performances giving anything a big push? I suppose any extra sales help, so it wouldn’t do any harm…

Do Strictly performance generally help chartwise? I remember once upon a time X Factor performances were big on helping people surge to the top of the charts and although Strictly was always arguably more popular I can’t really remember any performances giving anything a big push? I suppose any extra sales help, so it wouldn’t do any harm…
I think for the Christmas gift market to the casual music fan it's about the best promo you're going to get.

I don’t think the lukewarm response has anything to do with him being less popular or losing any momentum as a solo artist, and more to do with both of the new songs being utter tosh
I tend to agree really. They’re both utterly forgettable.

I think for the Christmas gift market to the casual music fan it's about the best promo you're going to get.

Yes, one million percent. I can’t think of a higher profile show with so many viewers so it must help somewhat. I was just thinking out loud as in how much everything seems to have changed in that respect. I was using X Factor as an example as it seemed to catapult songs to the top that I haven’t seen since. I suppose the likes of Buble sells a lot of albums off the back of a Strictly performance? I just can’t think off the top of my head of acts that have benefited greatly from a performance on the Strictly results show which I am thinking is down to the new way charts are measured these days and the core strictly audience?

The core Strictly audience probably are/were the ones most likely to buy CDs, but I bet it makes very little difference to streaming.

And I imagine they were more likely to pick up a CD in a supermarket more so than order from amazon or go to HMV (if they live somewhere with a branch) - so where do they go now there are so few places you can buy physical product now?

The core Strictly audience probably are/were the ones most likely to buy CDs, but I bet it makes very little difference to streaming.

And I imagine they were more likely to pick up a CD in a supermarket more so than order from amazon or go to HMV (if they live somewhere with a branch) - so where do they go now there are so few places you can buy physical product now?

Moved on to streaming platforms? I genuinely wouldn’t have a clue.

Don’t forget that Sam took advantage of Eurovision and promoted his album straight after the contest in return for early access to his tour which seemed to work for him so he’s not starting from 0 now. He has many loyal fans who have been waiting 1-2 years for him to put out a full album.

I heard the song called “Deep Blue Doubt” it’s like pop-rock, upbeat but not cringe at all and it uses his range. I can still remember how it goes and it’s 1000x better than “Somebody” and would have made a great single. He said he wrote many of the songs last year so hopefully it was when Jamie Hartman and Amy Wadge were around.

Last edited:
Yes, one million percent. I can’t think of a higher profile show with so many viewers so it must help somewhat. I was just thinking out loud as in how much everything seems to have changed in that respect. I was using X Factor as an example as it seemed to catapult songs to the top that I haven’t seen since. I suppose the likes of Buble sells a lot of albums off the back of a Strictly performance? I just can’t think off the top of my head of acts that have benefited greatly from a performance on the Strictly results show which I am thinking is down to the new way charts are measured these days and the core strictly audience?

You can download music on iTunes but a lot of artists promote and sell physical CDs or vinyls from their online store or use sponsored ADs on social media to boost sales.

Tom Jones promoted his new song on The Voice and it went straight to the top of the iTunes chart. That doesn’t mean it’ll chart unless people are streaming it but not bad for 3 minutes. George Ezra promoted his album on This Morning by singing Green Green Grass. I remember the Eurovision HOD said his main role is BBC Entertainment and he would help Sam wherever he could.

You can download music on iTunes but a lot of artists promote and sell physical CDs or vinyls from their online store or use sponsored ADs on social media to boost sales.

Tom Jones promoted his new song on The Voice and it went straight to the top of the iTunes chart. That doesn’t mean it’ll chart unless people are streaming it but not bad for 3 minutes. George Ezra promoted his album on This Morning by singing Green Green Grass. I remember the Eurovision HOD said his main role is BBC Entertainment and he would help Sam wherever he could.

I didn’t know about the ads on social media. I was more meaning I couldn’t remember anyone performing on Strictly getting to the top of the charts the next week but music is measured differently and in the days of the X Factor they seemed to get the majority of the big acts due to the fact they mostly went to number one afterwards. Back then I think it was just iTunes and physical sales though, so if it was measured the same way now Tom Jones may well have been getting a hit this week.

I didn’t know about the ads on social media. I was more meaning I couldn’t remember anyone performing on Strictly getting to the top of the charts the next week but music is measured differently and in the days of the X Factor they seemed to get the majority of the big acts due to the fact they mostly went to number one afterwards. Back then I think it was just iTunes and physical sales though, so if it was measured the same way now Tom Jones may well have been getting a hit this week.

I suppose any TV exposure is good even if it’s for iTunes one 99p sale is equivalent to 100 paid or 600 free streams on Spotify. I think it’s 1200 for an album but you need a lot less sales for the chart. People are forever on TV promoting their album or book so it must do something.

The singles chart is kinda pointless anyway as artists create an acoustic, double speed, remix, another remix, another remix etc and ask people to download them to boost sales as they all count.

I don’t know how many albums Sam has sold but he started promotion straight after Eurovision and that can only be good.

Maybe Sam needs a duet with up and coming star ROSA LINN

I don't DISlike it. Like might be pushing it a little though.

Am I the only person who likes Somebody?
It’s fine and some people like it but it’s passed people by as he stopped promoting it but he is still popular as he’s done a full festival season.

KidzBop UK are releasing their version of “Space Man” on Friday as a lot of children like the song

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom