Sinéad O’Connor DEAD

Sky Documentaries is showing the Nothing Compares documentary at 2am and 9pm this Saturday. It was on their schedule before this happened. The people who booed her in the part at the start of the trailer made me angry at the time, I’m still furious with them now.

It’s a beautiful documentary everyone should watch. I really didn’t realise how harrowing her childhood was until watching it. Made me listen to the song Troy very differently after seeing it.

I hadn't realised that 'War' performance on SNL was to promote her album of JAZZ STANDARDS.

If I put Much Sorrow, Acquaintance or her starkly haunting Nirvana cover on I'd probably tear up and I really don't want to.

A song as unflinching, livid, sexually obsessive, direct and automatic as Jump in the River fires out all her incredible qualities and can withstand everything. That's what her music represents to me anyway.

I thought I tasted of too many cigarettes, but you tasted like wine

Burning The Ground has reuploaded the US 12" of I Want Your (Hands On Me) with a couple of otherwise unavailable mixes, if anyone is inclined

Her last commercially released recording. Quite haunting.

The album she was working on was produced by David Holmes who produced this too. He has a strong electronic/dance background so it sounds interesting. She was staying with him and his wife here in Belfast for several months when recording it. Alas I wasn’t one of the ones who spotted her in Sainsbury’s wondering “was that Sinead O’Connor?”

I remember finding The Glory Of Gershwin CD in some family member's CD collection when I was a child and being absolutely astounded by this:

The rest of the tracklist includes many other artists I love (Kate Bush, Cher, Peter Gabriel, Meat Loaf, Carly Simon) and Sinéad completely overshadowed them all

During the 90s she did tons of tribute/charity/compilation albums, I think I've tracked most of them down over the years and the quality of her contributions was always so high

The other go-to example of her appearing on an album filled with A-listers and effortlessly blowing them all out of the water:

Oh that is stunning. A lullaby. However, Kate's Rocket Man is still one of the greatest cover versions of all time for me anyway. I think I can agree in the sense that Sinead on an emotional level can just absolutely dominate.

I've got The Glory Of Gershwin on CD twice for some reason. I've got a horrible feeling one was borrowed and I've never given it back to whoever owns it.

I remember hearing her version of Sacrifice for the first time, and it made me hear the song totally differently. I can't have heard it now for well over two decades, and it's done it all over again.

Just finished Nothing Compares. Thankfully not as emotional as I imagined it, probably because I didn't appreciate the scope before watching it.

That’s a very good list to be fair but not the 20 I’d pick though several would be on it.

I’d need Jackie, You Cause As Much Sorrow, A Perfect Indian, Daddy I’m Fine and Queen of Denmark to be on mine for a start.

Nothing Compares 2 U returns to the top 40 at #30 this week and her best of album is at #70.

From this article
2200.jpg

That's awesome 🤍 🕊

I was at Feile An Phobail last night and they had a SInead tribute during it. It was very moving to see footage of her on the big screen and hear 10,000 people singing her songs.

🎶 It's been 7 hours and 15 days... 💭
(approximately)
HDC8wrP.png

Just a little edit that I thought of making, thinking of Sinéad's music, legacy etc. today
🥲🕊

:( It's obviously sad but strange to see 'died of a broken heart' or the more frustrating 'died of natural causes,' especially when someone isn't near a full life expectancy, and their medical treatment has been inadequate. 💭
Of course, Sinéad mentioning her late son Shane in her final post signifies how in despair she was at the time. 💔

I discovered some more of Sineád's music since her passing; currently drawn this long one called Feel So Different.

😌

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom