Sir David Amess MP DEAD

Reading between the lines, it doesn’t look good.

Second political assassination in the UK in just over 5 years.

Bad times.

This bit is quite sad

In March, he called on Boris Johnson to commit to reducing knife crime after his constituent Luke Bellfield, 18, was stabbed to death a few miles from his home.

He told the Prime Minister: ‘This has been horrendous for his family and friends who have been left behind, and my heart goes out to them all.

‘What more does my Right Honourable Friend think that the police, society and Parliament can do to make sure that there never will in the future be such senseless murders again?

I don’t know what to say - it’s tragic.

Last edited:
Good grief.

Nothing was learned from Jo Cox's death, was it? All the Brexiters played it down. And now look. Another sitting MP murdered.

Appalling. Utterly appalling.

Obviously he was super pro Brexit and against gay rights. Regardless the murder of anyone, and an attack on our so called democracy is chilling.

This is terrible news for so many reasons.

We don't want Tory MPs assassinated in the street. We want them to be given long prison sentences after a fair trial.

The man who murdered Jo Cox was given page 30 of the Fail for his "legitimate concerns" - let's see what happens here.

The man who murdered Jo Cox was given page 30 of the Fail for his "legitimate concerns" - let's see what happens here.
There's no information at all about the attacker, aside from being male, 25. So let's wait and see.

Press conference coming soon, which will likely reveal little about the assassin.

Boris has predictably failed to comment some four hours after this broke.

How does he keep getting away with being so useless?

Edit: oh God Anne Widdecombe is on TV. She was godmother to one of his kids.

While one of his sons was imprisoned for assault with a champagne bottle

Regardless of what his politics were this is a horrifying attack on our democracy once again and more needs to be done - after the absolute failure to act on anything following Jo Cox’s murder.

I wonder what it says about social media as echo chamber that this is absolutely nothing on my Twitter feed. I've seen 2 tweets, one a retweet of Brendan Cox's statement, the other pointing out that Amess warned the government about the potential for a tragedy on the scale of Grenfell years before it took place. That's it.

I suspect it's a polite silence. It's a bad look to revel in it. But at the end of the day he opposed gay equality and women having a choice over their body. I'm certainly not thinking about celebrating him in any way, as rotten as this event is.

You can see the Guardian struggling with the obit tagline “Eurosceptic MP with a passion for animal welfare”.

By all accounts it seems he was a very kind and pleasant person to those he knew.

That's often the case with these right wing types though, isn't it? "They're actually really nice when you get to know them". I suppose it's very easy to be congenial when you build your life around a world view predicated on every person's misfortunes being entirely due to their own personal or moral failings as opposed to any kind of deep rooted societal imbalance.

Anyway RIP I guess.

Utterly ridiculous overreaction.

Colchester isn’t even a city.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom