Sixpence None The Richer - "Kiss Me"

[i]Strike up the band, and make the fireflies dance[/i]

• Total voters
One of the biggest airplay hits of 1999, and the definition of twee. If "Call Me Maybe" is sugary sweet pop, then this is molasses in comparison to that!

Whether you remember it from Dawson's Creek, the movie She's All That, or the background music to every movie trailer you saw in the early 2000's, it'll always give you a memory of 1999, for better or for worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't remember it from 1999, but it's on my Songs from Dawson's Creek soundtrack and I love it of course.

To me 1999 was a great year in so many ways. This song reminds me of all that. I loved it so much back then I even bought their album (which sounded nothing like this particular song).

The black and white Parisian video is way better than the one above.

I'm with Lolly

I absolutely HATE it. Bum clenchingly twee and the sort of thing single girls who don't really like music listen to On their ONE cd they bought that year, likely a "Music From And Inspired By The TV Series Friends" whilst drinking hot chocolate with marshmallows in it out of an oversized "Central Perk" mug and wearing pyjamas

SHIT

I like it. :shy:

It was also the one decent performance from Satan's copper-pubed real music artisté Janet Devlin on X Factor last year.

I do LOVE the story about them recording and having a moderate hit with their version of There She Goes by the La's without EVER twigging what it was actually about, and then being horrified when someone told them because they were all devout Christians.

Janet was really flat on that I thought. Her two good ones were her first two.

It is very sugary sweet, but in a nice naive way and not in any way cynical.

I love There She Goes as well. I haven't heard anything else by them.

We should have sanctioned the US when they tried exporting this shit

I was really into them for a spell as a teenager, so despite this being cloyingly sweet, I do hold some lingering affection for it.

Gosh is this not just the dictionary definition of a song that would NEVER be a hit today?

I wonder whether this would be that one song that just inexplicably breaks through that we seem to get occasionally. Bit like that Cupid song that has been a huge hit recently that sounds right out of 2001.

Anyway, I do have affection for it, if not love.

I dislike this song but, even more, I dislike their stupid name

Kiss Me is such a nostalgic song. It felt that way even when it was released. It reminds me of my childhood in small town Connecticut and all of the quirky characters I used to encounter on my way to a weekly dinner with my parents as a condition of them paying for my daughter to attend the prestigious Chilton School.

Wasn't this from the Dawson's Creek soundtrack? My older sister subjected me to so much of this kinda music.

Wasn't this from the Dawson's Creek soundtrack? My older sister subjected me to so much of this kinda music.
It was, I think. It occupies the same space in my brain as Sway by Bic Runga, Feels Like Home by Chantal Kreviazuk and I Want You To Want Me by Letters To Cleo; songs that sound like they could have been in any teen movie or tv series released between 1997 and 2003.

Apart from how saccharine her voice is, does the phrase 'milky twilight' not give anyone else the boak?

I'm with Lolly

I absolutely HATE it. Bum clenchingly twee and the sort of thing single girls who don't really like music listen to On their ONE cd they bought that year, likely a "Music From And Inspired By The TV Series Friends" whilst drinking hot chocolate with marshmallows in it out of an oversized "Central Perk" mug and wearing pyjamas

SHIT

I am FLOORED by the accuracy of this (although it's now 2023 so maybe swap "Friends" for "Ted Lasso" and "CD" for "Spotify's Smash Hits (featuring Ed Sheeran, Lewis Capaldi and Adele)"

Though y'all probably not picking up on the fact that this was probably the song that templated the rise of Emma Bunton: Solo Career

It wasn't the first of that ilk though. We do, of course, need to blame The Corrs for everything.

I actually blame LOUISE for Emma Bunton

Maybe even TIN TIN OUT

It is of its time but I like Kiss Me well enough.

They did a surprisingly pretty faithful cover of Dancing Queen for unknown reasons:

I wouldn't mind seeing Alt Pop make a mainstream comeback. I mean, Olivia Rodrigo's music isn't THAT far off is it?

Yes I love it when white middle class people create garage music :)

The brilliant (-ly ironic?) level of reverse snobbery here from someone white and middle class who pretty much only listens to black music is too much of a mind fuck to quite pull a joke out of, but there we are… :D

Overplay on the radio at the time definitely harmed this song for me. I still like it though - it reminds me of lazing in the garden on a sunny day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom