Sixpence None The Richer - "Kiss Me"

[i]Strike up the band, and make the fireflies dance[/i]

• Total voters
The brilliant (-ly ironic?) level of reverse snobbery here from someone white and middle class who pretty much only listens to black music is too much of a mind fuck to quite pull a joke out of, but there we are… :D

Listening to it and producing it are two VERY different things! There’s a big difference between appreciation and appropriation!

I mean I was only making a joke, but still… when I want to listen to authentic black music I’m not turning to DANE BOWERS or VICTORIA BECKHAM…

This is the better 90s Christian pop crossover hit

Omg yes! This is a 90s must for me.

Back to 6p, I'm surprised I gave this only a 6 as it's so illuminated in nostalgia for the era it came from, so perfectly framed by the teen movie it attached itself to (although the song really should be called Bend Me Over FPJ in that case). It's cloying and saccharine, but it's nice and starry-eyed all the same. I now declare it a 7.

That Amy Grant track is FABULOUS. Apart from being a fun pop song with a great vocal and memorable hook, it screams early 90s which was everything to me. I smile every time I hear it.

• Love
Reactions: RJN
Although I used to get her and Mariah Carey mixed up at the time because they came out at the same time and had a similar look, which is crazy to think about now. Shows how connected I was to the charts then (not a lot).

Listening to it and producing it are two VERY different things! There’s a big difference between appreciation and appropriation!

I mean I was only making a joke, but still… when I want to listen to authentic black music I’m not turning to DANE BOWERS or VICTORIA BECKHAM…
Obviously you’re going for Jesy Nelson

Jesy transcends race or genre. I’m not even worthy to try and label her.

I'll never understand y'alls obsession with Jesy Nelson. Talk about BOGUS
It’s the disconnect between how she sees herself and how everyone else sees her. That’s always interesting

Bitterly hating an inoffensive middle of the road song 20+ years later, u ok huns?

It’s fine.

I really wish the vocalist's solo material was available on Spotify, particularly this song which I genuinely liked

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom