Sliding Doors

If only I could turn back time...

• Total voters
It's alright but I re-watched it recently (It seems to be on TV ALL THE TIME of late...) and Gwyneth Paltrow just isn't a likeable romantic lead AT ALL. She's so sour faced and beige.

I liked it back in NINETY EIGHT but it hasn't really gone down as an all time classic 4 ME

It's alright but I re-watched it recently (It seems to be on TV ALL THE TIME of late...) and Gwyneth Paltrow just isn't a likeable romantic lead AT ALL. She's so sour faced and beige.

Yeah, cos that's why she won an Oscar for playing a romantic lead?! What a ridiculous opinion. By far her most successful film roles have been playing romantic leads. She's luminous on screen usually! And this is no exception, it's lovely.

What is your problem? YOU'RE sour faced and beige. Dictionary definition.

• BOOM BOOM
Reactions: VoR
I don't like her in this film. I never thought she really connected. And I've never really been convinced by John Hannah.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F-ALQyVDJM4&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F-ALQyVDJM4&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I liked this song off the film soundtrack. That's about it really.

I liked the concept in the 90s, though that kind of time thing has been bettered with Run Lola Run and most of all Memento.

I love the "What if?" factor of the film. A few seconds can change everything and here it reflects that point. I also like how it's set in the UK, even though the American lead is putting on an (albeit great) accent. I'm shocked that Gwyneth was only around 25 when this was filmed as she appears far older. A great film all around, with some cool twists to boot.

Any similar films that anyone could recommend?

Pretty good but poorly filmed (or so I thought) and that guy she falls in love with is a minger

Yeah, cos that's why she won an Oscar for playing a romantic lead?! What a ridiculous opinion. By far her most successful film roles have been playing romantic leads. She's luminous on screen usually! And this is no exception, it's lovely.

:D

I love Mr Betty Draper V VoR.

I have to say I kind of agree though. She's DULL AS. The film's cute though.

My friend was Gwynnie's PA for a while. She was dull as fuck apparently, but Blythe Danner used to come round, pick up the kids and take them to McDonalds behind her back as she thought their macrobiotic diets were 'absolute nonsense.'

Gwyneth's mum > Gwyneth

I don't like her either, she is dreadful and she was dreadful in Shakespeare In Love TOO, OSCAR or NO OSCAR. It is impossible to warm to her.

She was good in EMMA because I hate that character anyway so she fitted it WELL

My friend was Gwynnie's PA for a while. She was dull as fuck apparently, but Blythe Danner used to come round, pick up the kids and take them to McDonalds behind her back as she thought their macrobiotic diets were 'absolute nonsense.'

Gwyneth's mum > Gwyneth

:D

I've always liked Blythe Danner.

i used to dislike her but i thought she was great in "Two Lovers" and really warmed to her. She's much prettier now.

I watched this recently for the first time and discovered that it's filmed on MY ROAD

My friend was Gwynnie's PA for a while

In the most tenuous link ever my Dad's godson's girlfriend (!!!) is Gwyneth Paltrow's current PA.

Unless your friend is a girl going out with someone called Ben (or James, i forget what his name is) in which case it's the same one and we are totally linked RobotBoy.

Anyway Gwynnie doesn't really do it for me as an actress or human being, but i've only seen about two of her films so it's not too fair for me to judge. I was absolutely loving Shakespeare in Love until she popped up and made me switch it off though. CATE BLANCHETT SYNDROME

Last edited:
No, she is no longer Gwyneth Paltrow's PA. I don't think she really liked the servant aspect of being a PA, even though she said Gwyneth and Chris were both exceptionally pleasant to work for.

Still, that is quite random TP. I don't imagine there are too many people in the world who have worked as PA to Gwyneth Paltrow.

I LOVE Gwyneth, she is fabulous. Her newsletter gives me hours of glee. And she's blates lovely, and in my opinion a really good actress. Her turn in Shakespeare In Love is FAR from the non-event it's been made out to be. She's perfect in that role.

In desperation for something, I noticed this on iPlayer. I had never seen it before.

What a horrible horrible film. Not sure if it was bad in 1998, but it has aged appallingly. I'm glad we don't have cheesy montages or knowing glances or Gwyneth Paltrow so much anymore.

Wow, Ms Betty really read me for filth! :basil:

I've enjoyed the RB tea and MBD drama in this thread much more than the film. I seen it the other day and gasped at how thin she was, not to mention the accent and comedy swearing. Only Aqua survived this mess unscathed. I'd love to have been Blythe's PA though.

Listening to Agnes' 24 Hours at the gym has me convinced her faux-English accent referencing this film is more layered than I first supposed :disco:

I remember liking this back in the day, though I haven't seen it in years and don't know if it would hold up. It's definitely harder to picture Gwyneth Paltrow as a fresh faced romantic heroine and for some reason my brain keeps wanting to drop Reese Witherspoon (circa. turn of the Millenium) into the role...

Threw this on for a cheap thrill rewatch. What a load of old ROT!

For my sins I do enjoy the opening twenty minutes, but it's barely a worthwhile story after that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom