So it looks like the S Club revival is really happening...

This will go the same way as Steps - a #1 Greatest Hits, tour and back to the day jobs. But with a distinct lack of LSL.

The first greatest hits didn't even do THAT well, did it?

Although you could argue much the same for Steps, S Club 7 don't have nearly enough material to warrant a second hits compilation.

Steps Gold did quite good at the time, with this bunch I doubt anyone cares.

'Gold' did really well, but then, it was released at the typical time of year for greatest hits compilations and the group were on something of a critical (although not so much commercial) uplift.

S Club 7/S Club's popularity had fizzled, and 'Best' came out in June. I just can't see there being the same drive towards their material.

I dunno, all the under 21s seem to go crazy for them when they get played out. With today's album sales I reckon they'd manage a week at the top if it was promoted.

I just don't think there's any demand for this whatsoever.

Steps actually broke up at their peak and more or less stayed gone. Also they had a much better back catalogue.

S Club went an album too deep in the first place, then spent the next decade touring the toilet circuit in various embarassing half-formed lineups. Plus there are no stars in the group as grimly compelling as Lisa (beloved of schadenfreude-fixated gays), Claire (beloved of self-pitying fat women) and H (fascinatingly awful and on the reserve list for all the reality shows). Rachel Stevens still has something of a profile, but I don't think anyone has particularly strong feelings about her either way.

Last edited:
To be fair, they seem to have had more memorable songs than Steps other than Tragedy.

Although I think the apparent goodwill towards them is due to those songs and not the personalities within the group, although there would be a few interesting stories out of what the members did afterwards if they were to make a reunion documentary.

They were my favourite band when I was six. :shy:

I would say that they probably DO have more (or at least as many) memorable songs to the general public than Steps - but whether anyone really feels the need to hear 'Reach', 'Don't Stop Movin' or 'Never Had A Dream Come True' again is another matter. Besides 'Tragedy', Steps' music had no shelf-life beyond the group whatsoever - but that gave them something to work with and hearing a revival of 'It's The Way You Make Me Feel' or 'One For Sorrow' is quite a different prospect to hearing any of the aforementioned S Club 7 songs again.

Of course, it's not really a case of Steps vs. S Club 7 - the Steps reunion was breaking relatively new ground for their fanbase, who were at the right age to buy into something that has been done to death for fans of '70s and '80s groups. I think there is just fatigue around the whole concept now. If it was the other way around, I'm sure Steps would be in exactly the same position.

Steps have less 'known' hits, partially because radio wouldn't play them. Like, at all. 13 top 5 hits and one made the top 10 on airplay for one week. More than half, from memory, missed the top 50.

Not that increased airplay would have necessarily helped that much, but it meant Steps had to rely on fanbase whereas S Club 7 had a much more casual fanbase.

This should do OK on nostalgia (I'd probably go for a laugh) but they need to milk it for that, as being such a 'casually' liked group I can't imagine anyone would be interested in new material from them.

Someone on Popjustice is also saying they've got the Children In Need single. I MEAN CAN YOU IMAGINE.

Is anyone actually crying out for this?

Especially when it's derailed Tina's solo career.

I can't see it being a long-term thing, Rachel Stevens is mentoring on 'The Voice' here next year.

Someone on Popjustice is also saying they've got the Children In Need single. I MEAN CAN YOU IMAGINE.

Do people REALLY care enough? I just can't imagine they would give a SHIT...

I kind of feel the same but if it's well-executed I think they'd have a good chance of making enough people think they do to make it (a tour and a GH) worthwhile

I went to The Big Reunion boyband gig on Saturday and Bradley came on to replace Simon in Blue due to Strictly. They did mention a possible S Club reunion which wasn't met with much enthusiasm.

Last edited:
In all honesty, the general public are probably over reunions. It's old hat now.

Anyway, I thought that awful cover of God Only Knows was the CIN single?

How exactly do they do that bit where the coaches sing?

MARCEL MARCEAU AGOG.

Come & Get It is still the third best album of all time however.

They'll probably get Rachel to mime along to a Jo O'Meara vocal phoned in from the local bingo hall.

Would the Student Union crowd even be interested at this point? They missed their chance. Rachel should just repackage Kimberley Walsh's album of stage abortions for Ireland to cash in on her The Voice fame and call it a day.

<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/173287071&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>

Clearly CIN's music wing is run by nostalgic gays.

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

JESUS WEPT HE WAS THE SECOND COMING FOR GAYS OF A CERTAIN AGE

SEE "Natural" AND THAT WATERFALL AND SHUT THE FUCK UP

:evil:

How OLD is CHUBBY CATTERMOLE these days?

He's not got to that point where you can't lose weight without looking like you've got an ALSATIAN'S SCROTUM instead of a DOLLY OLD EEK, has he?

Paul is now a cub which suits me just fine

B0i3aTRIIAA8zvP.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom