Sophie Ellis-Bextor - Murder on the Dancefloor

Gonna burn this god damn house right down

• Total voters
It really is fucking AMAZING that she's got performances at the biggest nights of the UK music and film industries in the next few weeks.who on earth would have seen it coming for her in 2024?

Officially #19 on US pop radio. It’s a slog now with the 7 to 8 above her all also gaining, but she’s going quicker so if the performance tonight goes well we should see a good recovery on the hot 100 next week.

So tonight a guy in Operación Triunfo did Murder on the dancefloor, and the last thing I was expecting is Sophie herself sending a video :D She's definitely working hard to promote this everywhere :disco:

Btw the poor guy (18) didn't even know her name, and they all looked like "who is this woman?" :eyes:

I was amazed it was still top two.

I presume any chances of #1 have gone now, right? It must be near to ACR or whatever they call it.

it's not on ACR yet. maybe next week, but the BAFTAs perf this Sunday may count as active promo and she has the CD singles next week too, if memory serves.

it's not on ACR yet. maybe next week, but the BAFTAs perf this Sunday may count as active promo and she has the CD singles next week too, if memory serves.

Active promo is only when there's an active repromotion of the song, no? As in a reissue. That would have been when it was first reset at the start- surely it doesn't happen every time someone pops up on tv singing it?

But yeah, the CD singles might help I guess.

Still ridiculous considering I saw about 3 copies in charity shops over the weekend all for 50p!

Still ridiculous considering I saw about 3 copies in charity shops over the weekend all for 50p!
The gays need that ridiculously priced one track cd-r that they'll never unwrap for their collection!

I think it may well hit ACR this week. I think if she increases more than the market average (or decreases less?) she avoids it? But that only includes streaming, not sales?

I guess it doesn’t matter either way - she’s looking to possibly be down to #3 this week anyway and whether it hangs around at #16 or #4 during the promo period doesn’t actually matter given it’s real numbers are counted for year end charts and certifications etc.

I think ACR is inevitable next week if not this one. But still no complaints, this has been a wonderful little career revival.

To think once upon a time we all used to accuse Madame E-B of laziness!

The definition of the wrong song at the wrong time. Not that it wasn't successful but if this had dropped 10 years later it would have been an era defining worldwide superhit like Uptown Funk or something.

Either way, a pop classic by any criteria.
I knew I was right but didn't expect to have it proven in 2024 when I said that 😃

• Love
Reactions: VoR
I love the way when Mopsy talks about ACR and let’s be honest this forum knows more than most, everyone answers with a question because nobody still actually fucking knows how it works :D

It’s like VAR for GAYS
It's very 'I think...' or 'but what about'... - and if you look at the OCC rules, it doesn't help. They seem deliberately vague, or often throw up more questions than they answer. It's infuriating.

Even on Buzzjack or whatever it is they had it down for ACR this week, and they’re on another level of chart geekery. But they never officially publish who is on it until the final Friday chart comes out so it’s hard to tell. The OCC themselves reset Sophie midweek from memory?

So it is a clusterfuck :D

If this is heading to ACR how is that claptrap at number one not on it yet?

If this is heading to ACR how is that claptrap at number one not on it yet?
She'll hit ACR after three weeks of decline, due to her previous weeks on chart.

Presumably Noah Kahan hasn't hit three consecutive weeks of decline yet.

I am thinking the BAFTAS will give it a boost, will that stop it from going into decline or has she already had three weeks of decline?
My god I feel I am talking a new language

She’s on ACR from now according to the music week article (along with Noah), so it’ll be a new top two this week.

This has now spent 7 weeks at no.2 which must be close to a record.
Moves Like Jagger had 7 weeks as well, which I THINK was a record at the time. Not sure if anyone has bettered it since.

I was just happy when she equalled the 6 weeks of Father Abraham and The Smurfs.

8 weeks is the record set by Frank Chacksfield back in 1953 with Terry's Theme from Limelight

she is tied with 3 other songs on 7 weeks

Pat Boone - Love Letters In The Sand
All-4-One - I Swear
Maroon 5 feat. Christina Aguilera - Moves Like Jagger

We just need Samantha Jones' next JLT cameo to be a dance to Get Over You as an intertextual throwback to Mannequin (1987), with her only dialogue at the end of the scene being "music gets the best of me, Carrie" as she's carried out by her dancers. That'll keep the momentum going.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom