Steps - What The Future Holds [New Single & Album]

TELL ME BABY

• Total voters
It all gets a bit mid-tempo toward the middle section doesn't it? Nothing as bangerific as the first two singles. A significant step (:basil:) down from Tears On the Dancefloor, but it probably just needs more listens.

It all gets a bit mid-tempo toward the middle section doesn't it? Nothing as bangerific as the first two singles. A significant step (:basil:) down from Tears On the Dancefloor, but it probably just needs more listens.

They've obviously tried to make a more varied album and it definitely feels a bit SILLIER than Tears On the Dancefloor, which was heavy on the glorious sadbanger.

I really like it on first listen, though I would say there a few more clunky moments within songs than on Tears. I'm fine with the midtempos (though the decision to release the two ballads as buzz tracks remains bizarre).

Not wild about the verses of Clouds, but nice chorus. Father's Eyes is lovely.

Heartbreak in This City is RIDICULOUS. The CHORUS :disco:

Speaking of silly... Come And Dance With Me. On first listen I was not at all sure about this, but I have ADJUSTED.

To The One with those big synths hits the bittersweet Steps spot very nicely.

I really have no idea why they released both UMS and the other one ahead of the album release

they should have went with Clouds which is so much more accomplished

I hate to be a negative Nancy because I do generally think this is a pretty solid album, but the vocal distribution is pissing me off. JUST PISS OFF LEE.

Tears on the Dancefloor was definitely more equal than their previous albums, and everybody got a chance to shine without sacrificing the sound that people associate with Steps. It was actually welcome when Lee popped up with a solo. This time around it feels much more contrived, with vocal switching between different members every couple of lines to maintain equality and Lee being given lines even when he clearly can't sing them and sucking the life out of songs.

Also the track order could be tweaked a bit... they're mostly great tracks but it does settle into a bit of a groove in the second half that could do with being broken up a bit.

Just opened what I thought was my replacement Kylie and it’s actually Steps. And I’ve even got a pack of free Steps badges.

LSL HOW COULD I EVER HAVE DOUBTED YOU?

This is still #1 on iTunes. I really thought Gary or even Now 107 would’ve taken the number one yesterday over them, so I’m quite impressed they got it and have held it.

I’m not terribly impressed after a few listens (it’s competing with Miley which is a very solid album). The fillers are real filler-y and have too much of the boys and cringy lyrics.

Heartbreak in the City and Come and Dance with Me were the definite highlights.

Apparently it's #2 in the first midweek flashes. Seemingly behind Borelow.

:o with 21k as well.

If so then that’s very good after one day. Sales will fall off a cliff after day one but they should hit 30k which really is better than I had expected.

I suspect if they’re already trailing Barlow though, then there isn’t really a chance of this going numba one :(

is it out the same day? Miley has a top 5 single that's been the radio #1 for 2 months plus a Dua Lipa collab out next week - her album will outsell Steps :D

*watches Miley bomb in at #6 while Steps and Barlow fight it out at the top*

:eyes:

Anyhoo, it's also #4 on iTunes Australia and #38 in the US (down from #17 earlier).

Won't mean much, but nice to see a bit of traction outside the UK.

What's everyone's worst/least great song?

Me @ Come And Dance With Me:

tumblr_o1jdv5oHuB1ql5yr7o1_500.gif

Reactions: Zu
I wondered if this was out going on all the activity. I'll look forward to getting this #soon

Aren't Barlow's sales likely to be frontloaded with pre-orders, too, though?

In a sense, he's the same kind of chart act as Steps - a heritage one, relying largely on the loons.

This might come down to who ends up being bigger on streaming. And I can't really call it with these two.

I think he’s on strictly tonight which may give him an edge. But you are right, he will be quite frontloaded as well. I can’t imagine them catching him but you never know.

They’ll both be frontloaded but if he has 1.5k lead in physicals I can’t imagine them closing that gap, what with Strictly and the assumption that both numbers will fall off a cliff from today.

And streaming is going to be negligible, let’s face it.

On Streaming, Barlow currently shows a total of just 592,000 Streams per month to Steps' 1,131,000.

But on the other hand, his lead single (Elita) is on 2.3 million to What The Future Holds' 1.2 million. And I guess they will be getting far higher back catalogue streams than him.

Not that it makes much difference in the grand scheme of things either way. I imagine both albums will be lucky to still be in the charts at all come January.

Barlow did Graham Norton on Friday night as well. I think they will be more frontloaded than him anyway, but I suspect two of the highest profile slots on TV will carry him through.

On Streaming, Barlow currently shows a total of just 592,000 Streams per month to Steps' 1,131,000.

But on the other hand, his lead single (Elita) is on 2.3 million to What The Future Holds' 1.2 million. And I guess they will be getting far higher back catalogue streams than him.

Not that it makes much difference in the grand scheme of things either way. I imagine both albums will be lucky to still be in the charts at all come January.

The lead singles will be discounted for the purposes of calculating the album streams.

Streaming they will both get like 1-2k for the whole week so it will be down to actual sales that decide it.

All I know is LSL is gonna have a stern word with SONGWRITER PAL Gary Barlow if he denies them #1.

All I know is LSL is gonna have a stern word with SONGWRITER PAL Gary Barlow if he denies them #1.

I was flicking the TV channels this morning and stumbled upon an interview with them on Sunday Brunch (trash) precisely at the point that she brought up that SIA had written one of the songs on the new album. When the follow up question was - "What was it like working with SIA?" - it was all I could do to bumble with the remote to change the channel, to avoid the sheer cringeworthy awkwardness of her having to explain that it is in fact a hand-me-down.

:D

Does she claim she was in the same studio complex when SIA wrote it?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom