Tennis 2021

Djockovich slipped yesterday too. I had assumed it was just an awkward shot from Draper but hearing other accounts is quite telling.

The grass is generally slippier in the early rounds but seems much worse in the matches under the roof.

Can’t believe we haven’t even got a separate Wimbledon thread, bloody gays

poor Serena!

What the hell is going on with Centre Court? Andy just slipped and injured his groin now.

they need to sort this, it’s embarrassing now. Even the commentators are getting agitated.

OT: Why aren't there more pro tennis gays @Apocalypt Flyer? Of all the sports I'd have expected it to be one where there was less pressure around coming out

OT: Why aren't there more pro tennis gays @Apocalypt Flyer? Of all the sports I'd have expected it to be one where there was less pressure around coming out

There's quite a few in the WTA, Alison van Uytvanck is openly gay, her partner is also a tennis player.

Carla Suarez is too. Tara Moore, Emina Bektas, Daria Kasatkina and Sam Stosur.

Currently no out male tennis players but my gaydar goes off for Liam Broady.

Andy Murray turning the screw. :disco:

tumblr_inline_p87uggc5Yq1skj7fx_540.gifv

As mentioned by @Rhythmbarbican - the history on the women's side is full of gay history, so to speak. Martina and Billie really paved the way and "normalised" being an out female tennis player and there have been loads since.

Not in men's tennis though - they just lack that pioneer, though I do know there are a few who swing more than one ways. But on the whole, tennis as a sport is still very conservative. Not the women's game - but the men's game and the overarching umbrella.

Very happy that Andy still gets to experience these moments. Not sure for how long and if he will truly be ever competitive to the point that he'll make a QF-run at a slam again. But as long as he's having fun and can go about his career on his own terms, that would be nice. He's a good egg, he deserves it.

Not sure if it’s because he’s playing a wildcard but this Norrie fella is playing like a champion

Soft second round because Bolt does have some very obvious gaps but well done by Norrie to play according to seed. Pouille was a very tricky opening match, that was pretty solid.

Not sure if it’s because he’s playing a wildcard but this Norrie fella is playing like a champion
Bolt is overachieving being in second round and his game plays right into Norrie’s so I wouldn’t go that far.

Kerber and Sorribes-Tormo are having some brutal rallies. I’ve found myself rooting for Angie and Muguruza now that the singles is Williams free.

Kerber and Sorribes-Tormo are having some brutal rallies. I’ve found myself rooting for Angie and Muguruza now that the singles is Williams free.

Same, I'd be happy with that. Or a Barty victory, honestly. Muguruza is really turning into the Pierce of this generation with her career trajectory.

that Kerber match was what tennis is ALL ABOUT. Just two athletes with fire in their bellies GOING AT IT. was there a single point that wasn't a rally of 10+ shots? how many winners did Angie hit?!

incredible stuff.

Average rally length was 8 shots. On grass.

Such a tough task for Kerber who isn't a natural aggressor but somehow stuck it out at the end.

(Samsonova's run on grass is SCARY GOOD. Berlin was not a fluke.)

I'm watching Ostapenko - Tomljanovic with Ostapenko completely self-destructing in the last set. Takes a medical time out at 0-4. Tomljanovic furious "What's the injury? We all know she's lying! No, I'm not sitting down" You should have seen the look on her face two minutes later when she was sitting down :evil:

The SCENES during and after Ostapenko-Tomljanovic (and AFTER!)

Tomljanovic's icy "I hope you feel better :) :) :)"
Ostapenko's ""If I played at 50 per cent I would have beaten her :evil:"

:queenofthenight:

Raducanu - Ostapenko would have been a great match up.

A great match or a great match-up? Cause it would have been a terrible match-up for Raducanu. At least against Tomljanovic, she'll have moments where she doesn't feel like it's all out of her control.

Ostapenko's ""If I played at 50 per cent I would have beaten her :evil:"
Ostapenko was really peaking last week but I guess she ran out of steam. Should have skipped doubles. Shame - we almost had the BFF-R4 with Cirstea.

Ostapenko was really peaking last week but I guess she ran out of steam. Should have skipped doubles. Shame - we almost had the BFF-R4 with Cirstea.

Agreed. The double-edged sword of winning a tournament the week before a slam.

I think it would have caught up with Kerber (on the back of the SST match) today as well but she was literally saved by the rain.

Ostapenko :beer: The most entertaining player on tour.

Some probably find her a brat but I think the tour needs a villain, right? This was last week against Jabeur (and her team);

Penko truly is one of a kind. I've given up trying to make genuine sense of her long ago but I'm here for the ride as long as her "antics" remain ridiculous rather than outright harmful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom