The Arthouse Lounge

And re: the terrible French accent of Kate, I presumed that was intentional- especially as in the script she makes a fair amount of mistakes as well. God knows my French accent is that level, but fuck me I remember being that fluent. Sadly long gone now :(
Well yes darl she was an English exchange student. I was just impressed that someone not English could do such a convincing awful French accent

I'm going a WEEK ON THURSDAY so NO SPOILERS PLEASE

Waiting for WORD tomorrow on the premiere of PASSAGES with BEN WISHAW and FRANZ ROGOWSKI as THE GAYS

qkikt7bciPassages%20-%20Still%206.jpeg
Never thought I’d see that much of Ben Whishaw’s taint!!
:o

I love Phoenix (the movie and myself).

This moment still gives me chills

I did not care for Transit if I remember correctly. Didn’t it have a mish mash of timelines? I hate that shit.

I saw AS BESTAS when I was in Spain. It's a general release film over there but as it's in THREE LANGUAGES and a Cannes selection I imagine it's a bit ARTHOUSE over here, whenever it opens.

It was FANTASTIC. Quite TENSE and it pulls a

Psycho

effortlessly. Based on a fucking grim real case to boot!

Oh I want to see this

"Twenty-nine. That’s the number of penises I counted across the 108-minute runtime of Rotting in the Sun, director Sebastián Silva’s latest movie, which premiered at this year’s Sundance Film Festival. At least, I think it was 29. I might have lost count, given that, at several points, there were so many dongs in one frame that it was practically a carol of the bells—or rather, balls."

:filth:

Have we had mention of EO yet? The music sounds very stirring, it features a lovely donkey, it looks rather beautiful and - best of all - there’s a cameo from MADAME :disco:

Well that’s this Friday evening sorted, and NOT at the fucking freezing ICA for once :disco:

Last edited:
Just back from EO. A few observations:

(A) Poor donkey :(:(:(
(B) I have no idea what the point of the MADAME cameo was or indeed what the relevance of her scenes was so can only assume that the director is some MADAME MENTALIST who just had to have her in it AS WELL YOU MIGHT! :disco:

What a load of OLD EXISTENTIALIST TOOT this was :disco:

My favourite bit was

the child having TELEKINETIC POWERS a propos of NOTHING :disco: because that's how you end a three hour film about how humankind is FAITHLESSLY ADRIFT

Apparently half the crew including Tarkovsky died of RADIOACTIVE POISONING or something after filming this :disco: :disco: :disco: Talk about DYING FOR YOUR ART!

EO was alright, I mean it's beautifully shot but in the end it's just about a donkey you know? It's more about what you're projecting onto them than what they're actually going through cos they ain't no actor.

MADAME's two scenes were simultaneously the BEST and the WORST things about the film. WHY IS SHE IN IT?! :D It's like she's walked from another film altogether (a film that within two minutes already looked more INTERESTING than anything that happened to poor little donkey SORRY).

From the moment I saw her drumming her fingernails onto that kitchen table, I knew she was secretly wanting to

fuck her own son :disco:

Never change MADAME HUPPERT!

Anyone perused the BFI Flare line up yet? Seems a lot I’d go and see this year (but not make a special journey to London for….). Wish they’d also have some regional screenings.

The Stroll is definitely on my list

The BFI website is one of the WORST PLACES ON THE INTERNET and their stupid way of classifying festivals by random themes doesn't help.

There's a couple of trans docs that look interesting. Also I never got a chance to see Bodies Bodies Bodies and that's back again. Also The Blue Caftan is showing again and I definitely recommend that as it has stayed with me for a long time, exquisitely shot film.

The BFI website is one of the WORST PLACES ON THE INTERNET and their stupid way of classifying festivals by random themes doesn't help.

There's a couple of trans docs that look interesting. Also I never got a chance to see Bodies Bodies Bodies and that's back again. Also The Blue Caftan is showing again and I definitely recommend that as it has stayed with me for a long time, exquisitely shot film.
Yes, The Blue Caftan was definitely one that spoke to me in the blurb.

Yeah just give us the full list GOD.

Quite a lot on there I fancy, doubt I'll catch any but handy to have a list for when (if :( ) they find distribution.

What a load of OLD EXISTENTIALIST TOOT this was :disco:

My favourite bit was

the child having TELEKINETIC POWERS a propos of NOTHING :disco: because that's how you end a three hour film about how humankind is FAITHLESSLY ADRIFT

Apparently half the crew including Tarkovsky died of RADIOACTIVE POISONING or something after filming this :disco: :disco: :disco: Talk about DYING FOR YOUR ART!
:disco: Yes, they almost all carked it :(

I assumed you'd seen it before for some reason. The child having telekinetic powers is such a great if bizarre scene, and of course there's the WIFE'S SAD MONOLOGUE :disco:

Hopefully the IMAX will whip it out again before long

@Peekaboo Have you seen any other Tarkovsky films? Mirror is particularly fantastic although I couldn't necessarily tell you what it's about :tongueout:

Oh yes and THE SACRIFICE

Oh yes and THE SACRIFICE
Here are some PLOT HIGHLIGHTS from Wiki

As Tarkovsky wrote, Alexander is weary of "the pressures of change, the discord in his family, and his instinctive sense of the threat posed by the relentless march of technology"; in fact, he has "grown to hate the emptiness of human speech." :disco:

Just when dinner is almost ready, the rumbling noise of low-flying jet fighters interrupts them, and soon after, as Alexander enters, a news program announces the beginning of what appears to be all-out war, and possibly nuclear holocaust. His wife has a complete nervous breakdown. :disco:

When he wakes the next morning, in his own bed, everything seems normal. Nevertheless, Alexander sets forth to give up all he loves and possesses. He tricks the family members and friends into going for a walk, and sets fire to their house while they are away. :disco:

I must have surely mentioned this before but Krzysztof Kieślowski is my all-time favourite director. This one's a giggle. Why not go and see it with a sexy new flame for your first date? :disco:

@Peekaboo Have you seen any other Tarkovsky films? Mirror is particularly fantastic although I couldn't necessarily tell you what it's about :tongueout:

Oh yes and THE SACRIFICE
I have seen Solaris and the one about the painter which I WON'T LIE TO YOU dragged on A FAIR BIT. Solaris I enjoyed quite a lot, as I did with Stalker, but this may also be because I was a CAPTIVE AUDIENCE in a cinema so I could devote my whole attention to them. I feel like his films are not something you watch while casually SCROLLING ON SCRUFF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom