The By-elections Thread - 2019-2024 edition

Can @Madíson inform us what happens to the Tory majority if they lose 4?

Although I guess this is no longer a Tory seat

At this rate they’ll lose their majority before the next election :D

How is Chris Pincher still an MP? Maybe he will do the decent thing?

Anyone for another one?

Very solid Blue seat since 2010, but before that it was always Labour.

Happy By-Election day!

Looks like Selby & Ainsty is the one to watch, as the Tories are predictably briefing that holding even one of these seats would be a victory (sure, Jan) and that's the one they have the best shot at.

Obviously hoping for a humiliating wipeout. :disco:

Yes, Selby going to Labour would suggest they are onto a hiding at the GE. It’s not even in the neighbourhood when it comes to seats Labour would need to win or even expect to win. North Yorkshire does not have much in the way of a Labour vote - Tories hold all the seats (outside of York itself).

Yes, Selby going to Labour would suggest they are onto a hiding at the GE. It’s not even in the neighbourhood when it comes to seats Labour would need to win or even expect to win. North Yorkshire does not have much in the way of a Labour vote - Tories hold all the seats (outside of York itself).

Selby was red in the Blair years. Admittedly it's one of those places where it's either marginal Labour or hugely Tory, but it's not beyond the realms.

Selby was red in the Blair years. Admittedly it's one of those places where it's either marginal Labour or hugely Tory, but it's not beyond the realms.
It has different boundaries than it did in Blair years. The old Selby constituency had some York suburbs which were taken away and replaced with more rural areas, Selby & Ainsty has been hugely Tory since it was created in 2010.

The old Selby constituency had some York suburbs

The parts of York which have traditionally been Tory, were Tory in the Blair years, and have been Tory since 2010. Point still stands.

Last edited:
Selby itself and some closely surrounding parts (i do know a lot of people from that area) is very working class. The kind of people who turned their back on Jeremy Corbyn in the last election.

Don't get me wrong, i still think it'll be a hold for the tories, but as i say, it's not beyond the realms.

The best case scenario is actually the Tories winning all three seats - it's the only chance we have of Labour getting rid of that fucking stooge Starmer. Otherwise, it'll be "well, just putting a lick of red paint on Tory policy is working so let's do more of that".

The best case scenario is actually the Tories winning all three seats - it's the only chance we have of Labour getting rid of that fucking stooge Starmer. Otherwise, it'll be "well, just putting a lick of red paint on Tory policy is working so let's do more of that".

LET’S GET CORBYN BACK, CAUSE THAT WORKED SO WELL LAST TIME!

Good point - as @dmlaw noted it is a different seat but it is probably the most fertile part of an otherwise unlikely stomping ground for Labour (apart from perhaps Scarborough).

Lib Dems will take Harrogate at the GE.

This all takes me back :D :angry:

‘Vote Conservative, madam?’

To be fair, I take your point, but I still don’t get what people want. Get into power, move from there. It’s the only way it will ever work.

But when your pitch to get into power is basically that you're not going to change anything that might upset the super-rich, the press, the markets and the oil/gas industries - oh, and you're teeming with terfs, what incentive is there? "We're Not The Tories"- oooh, groundbreaking! A zombie, do-nothing Labour government would run the risk of a backlash that would split the left even further.

But when your pitch to get into power is basically that you're not going to change anything that might upset the super-rich, the press, the markets and the oil/gas industries - oh, and you're teeming with terfs, what incentive is there? "We're Not The Tories"- oooh, groundbreaking! A zombie, do-nothing Labour government would run the risk of a backlash that would split the left even further.

Except the conservatives are a complete sham full of corruption. Labour are massively ahead. You don’t do anything at this point that upsets the apple cart and could push people back to the tories, who would pounce on it straight away. Which is pretty much EXACTLY what happened with Corbyn and Brexit.

It’s common fucking sense! I ENTIRELY agree that Starmer’s “position” or lack of is frustrating, but there’s no denying it’s working and it’s the only way we’re going to end the horror that we’re living under right now.

Get in, move to the left. Simple.

Get in, move to the left. Simple.

I wish I had your optimism. I just don't know how I'm expected to vote for a centre right party that will legislate me out of existence because the DaiIy MaiI told them to.

• Care
Reactions: COB
I wish I had your optimism. I just don't know how I'm expected to vote for a centre right party that will legislate me out of existence because the DaiIy MaiI told them to.

Then don’t. But what’s the alternative?

I’m not saying I agree with his stance- cause I very much don’t. But I can see why. And here we are again with a divided left and the potential for five more years of this shit.

Fair point, but I think you know what I meant
I do, but Scotland is a cautionary tale for Labour taking voters for granted. And at a point when the SNP is at its weakest, Labour just keep handing them political ammunition on a silver platter, for things that seem so unnecessary.

Are they really going to lose the next election by supporting getting Children out of poverty?

QUITE a turn of EVENTS:

Somerton and Frome - Lib Dem GAIN
Selby and Ainsty - Labour GAIN
Uxbridge and South Ruislip - Conservative HOLD :D

EE22E67A-5E32-46A0-A516-676C50750285.jpeg

26064EBE-8B90-4CB6-9C3B-224E45D2AB3A.jpeg

64CB5905-DBB6-405B-A4C3-5853FEC9071F.jpeg

Tories obviously managed to spin a decent ULEZ yarn in London, but the national picture for them looks absolutely dire.

Amazed that some of the press are trying to spin Uxbridge as a success.

Well, perhaps amazed is the wrong word :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom